Review Opening Round vs Richmond @ Heritage Bank Stadium - 9th March 2024 - 3:20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That time of the year again. We officially have an opening round opponent, a date and a venue.

So many questions can be asked about this one. How will Dimma go coaching against a team he knows intimately well? Will this game sell out? Will injured players like Powell and Weller be ready to go for this game? Do any of our highly rated academy stars debut in this game? What will Richmond look like without their long-time leaders in Cotchin and Riewoldt? Will we see our midfield group of Miller, Anderson, Rowell and Flanders go to the next level in this game? Which tall forwards will play and how will they go with King, Lukosius and Casboult/Walter seemingly the first choice line up? Will Ballard and Andrew go to the next level as tall defenders? Can we finally find the speed and skill on the outside and in our small forward positions that we've screaming out for?

This will probably surprise some because of how successful Richmond has been in recent years, but our win-loss record against the Tiges is a very respectable 6 wins - 7 losses and if we walk away with the W in this game then we'll officially have a 50/50 overall record against Richmond. This is what happened last time we played Richmond in the opening round 10 years ago:

That time of the year again. We officially have an opening round opponent, a date and a venue.

So many questions can be asked about this one. How will Dimma go coaching against a team he knows intimately well? Will this game sell out? Will injured players like Powell and Weller be ready to go for this game? Do any of our highly rated academy stars debut in this game? What will Richmond look like without their long-time leaders in Cotchin and Riewoldt? Will we see our midfield group of Miller, Anderson, Rowell and Flanders go to the next level in this game? Which tall forwards will play and how will they go with King, Lukosius and Casboult/Walter seemingly the first choice line up? Will Ballard and Andrew go to the next level as tall defenders? Can we finally find the speed and skill on the outside and in our small forward positions that we've screaming out for?

This will probably surprise some because of how successful Richmond has been in recent years, but our win-loss record against the Tiges is a very respectable 6 wins - 7 losses and if we walk away with the W in this game then we'll officially have a 50/50 overall record against Richmond. This is what happened last time we played Richmond in the opening round 10 years ago:

No chance of Weller. Powell running already.

No chance of Weller. Powell running already.
That's a shame about Lachie but out of the two I think I'd want Powell playing more anyway. He was becoming such a crucial player for us before his recent injuries and I'd really like to see Wil getting a clean run at it in 2024. He's only 13 games shy of reaching 100 for us and I'd really like to see him get there in next year.

Surely we let pre-season even start before we put a bloody match thread up
Why? We already have enough information to start discussing this game. Also, no one is forcing you to get involved if you don't want to.

Jed Walter kicking 10
Flanders getting 40&2
Anderson still getting the 3 votes

Lock it in

Richmond struggling to hit a target inside 50. Not much key forward depth. Nank may be out of Round 0, Witts v Naismith potentially

Richmond struggling to hit a target inside 50. Not much key forward depth. Nank may be out of Round 0, Witts v Naismith potentially
Obviously preseason games can't read into them 100%

But they did not look good.

Well with the underwhelming practice games out of the way.

Budarick - Collins - Lemmens
Sexton - Ballard - Powell
Ellis - Miller - Fiorini
Flanders - Lukosius - Ainsworth
Holman - King - Berry

Witts - Rowell - Anderson

Humphrey - Andrew - Swallow - Uwland

Sub - W.Graham

I imagine it will be something like this, though MacPherson could very easily slot in somewhere or the sub could change about.

Not the most exciting line up, looking forward to Walter debuting.

Ellis - Miller - Fiorini
Holman - King - Berry

Sub - W.Graham

I imagine it will be something like this, though MacPherson could very easily slot in somewhere or the sub could change about.

That looks like the line-up. I expect Macpherson replacing W Graham, Macpherson/Uwland a sub. Just listened to Grigg and Rosas was close to play against GWS. He could be in the line-up too.

No doubt GWS practice game was underwhelming to say the least. The intensity was not there. Obliterated in contest.

10 mins in 1st QTR were good, haha.

There will be pain to imbed a new plan. Under new coach, GWS started 3W:7L last year and they were better team.

A lot of Tigers fans have tails up forgetting Tigers were ordinary in pre-season too. Bring it on.

BTW, watching Lions vs Swans yesterday, only re-confirmed my prediction Lions vs GWS GF. Both teams look in great shape.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis - Miller - Fiorini
Holman - King - Berry

Sub - W.Graham

Still think your top 10 is the equal of any team you just have to replace your C graders with your youngsters. MacPherson, Lemmons and possibly Swallow aren't getting better and Oea has had enough chances, better to plày Ulward or Graham who are younger and have better skills

Ellis - Miller - Fiorini
Holman - King - Berry

Sub - W.Graham

Budarick - Collins - Uwland
Ellis - Miller - Atkins
Holman - King - Berry

Humphrey - Andrew - Swallow - Jeffery

Sub - W.Graham

** If Clohesy plays well today - I'd look at him somewhere. Maybe replace Swallow on bench. BTW: Oscar Faulkead reminds me a lot of that young Demons rookie, Caleb Windsor - should be given a go or what's the point of keeping him on the roster. Ellis, Holman and Ainsworth should also be under the pump to perform.

That looks like the line-up. I expect Macpherson replacing W Graham, Macpherson/Uwland a sub. Just listened to Grigg and Rosas was close to play against GWS. He could be in the line-up too.

No doubt GWS practice game was underwhelming to say the least. The intensity was not there. Obliterated in contest.

10 mins in 1st QTR were good, haha.

There will be pain to imbed a new plan. Under new coach, GWS started 3W:7L last year and they were better team.

A lot of Tigers fans have tails up forgetting Tigers were ordinary in pre-season too. Bring it on.

BTW, watching Lions vs Swans yesterday, only re-confirmed my prediction Lions vs GWS GF. Both teams look in great shape.
100% will be lions and GWS GF in absence of major injuries.
Best two teams by far

Ellis - Miller - Fiorini
Holman - King - Berry

Sub - W.Graham

No debutant as sub please

Gold Coast Suns 2024 Tactical Preview

Written a bit of a preview of what hardwick is trying to achieve tactically

Quick recap TLDR:

New coaching hires know Hardwick’s system and will provide fresh voices for the playing group to hear

-Speed will be the toughest trait to attain as a team as its unclear we have the list for it

-Turnover game is mostly reliant on pressure, high intensity training will get them a lot of the way there

-Have to get buy-in of flanker-type players who fulfil major role outside of stoppage, may take half a season to figure out the best balance in these roles

-Humphrey in the Martin role is an excitement guarantee

-Forward line may be too tall, could see Lukosius push up the ground even more to allow for more pressure players in forward half

-Key defenders should benefit from rise in pressure and won’t have to defend marking contests at a disadvantage as often

-Still questions about rebounding ability from defence, Sexton move is a clear attempt to find the answer

-Midfield must be taught how to make in-game adjustments to avoid Carlton-like runs at all costs

I will just finish up by pointing out that we will definitely see some regression in tough moments to the Dew style of play as the players get the new system drilled in to them. I think the Giants slow progression last year is a useful benchmark in the sense that it may take a while for things to really start working. The press won’t handle this very well but as fans I think we should bear that in mind if Gold Coast start the season slowly. I am waiting for a big clearance win late in a game where Anderson bangs it long instead of handballing it forward to a team-mate and Dimma rips the phone out of the wall.

Gold Coast Suns 2024 Tactical Preview

Written a bit of a preview of what hardwick is trying to achieve tactically

Quick recap TLDR:

New coaching hires know Hardwick’s system and will provide fresh voices for the playing group to hear

-Speed will be the toughest trait to attain as a team as its unclear we have the list for it

-Turnover game is mostly reliant on pressure, high intensity training will get them a lot of the way there

-Have to get buy-in of flanker-type players who fulfil major role outside of stoppage, may take half a season to figure out the best balance in these roles

-Humphrey in the Martin role is an excitement guarantee

-Forward line may be too tall, could see Lukosius push up the ground even more to allow for more pressure players in forward half

-Key defenders should benefit from rise in pressure and won’t have to defend marking contests at a disadvantage as often

-Still questions about rebounding ability from defence, Sexton move is a clear attempt to find the answer

-Midfield must be taught how to make in-game adjustments to avoid Carlton-like runs at all costs

I will just finish up by pointing out that we will definitely see some regression in tough moments to the Dew style of play as the players get the new system drilled in to them. I think the Giants slow progression last year is a useful benchmark in the sense that it may take a while for things to really start working. The press won’t handle this very well but as fans I think we should bear that in mind if Gold Coast start the season slowly. I am waiting for a big clearance win late in a game where Anderson bangs it long instead of handballing it forward to a team-mate and Dimma rips the phone out of the wall.
I don't ask for too much. All I want to see is intensity, competing hard from all players.

With how disappointing the pre season games have been I think the positive could be the players have had a bit of a reality check and could end up being what they need coming into the season. Tipping us to come out firing and knock the tigers off by a good margin but boy we need to improve.

Early forecast for Nerang.

Saturday 9 March​

Summary: Min 21 Max 28 Shower or two. Possible rainfall: 0 to 4 mm Chance of any rain: 60%

Gold Coast area​

Partly cloudy. Medium chance of showers. Winds southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h.

The RICHmond fans have been such ingrates towards Dimma in the bile they say about him on social media.

And of course we will be shockingly outnumbered in the stands.

Our blokes after those really insipid trial games better bloody well man up with effort or it’s really going to suck being at the game at Fulltime dealing with that inflated pack of numb nuts.

We’ve gotta win this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back