Game Day 2024 Scratch Match #1 vs Brisbane @ Brighton Homes Arena, Thu Feb 22 5:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be the end of swallow in 1's. Played as a third tall defender, isn't beating his man for speed and is giving away height. Powell still to come back and Andrew, Jeffery both already better suited in that role. Really nervous about the current selections but hoping a line got put through a few tonight.

Hard to compare given the difference in opposition, but Rosas, Jeffrey, Atkins look to be doing exactly what we want to see, compared to some of the guys earlier on who... did not look suited. Hopefully we see them against the better oppo. Next week.

Also, Mac up forward looks tantalising and his lack of defensive intent isn’t as critical.

Tsitas, Fiorini, Macpherson, Berry, Day still meh.

Great to see Buddhas back and firing.

Mally has to be top 22. Has two attributes we lack - speed and skill. Jeffrey needs to be given a chance for the same reasons.

Otherwise Dimma has some work to do. Very disjointed effort.
Powell in will make a difference to disposal.

But yes, we need some speed and pace. Rosas gets a tick from me based on his periods (not quarters!) today. Had some great bursts and kicks and really opened up the game.

And if we’re playing him, I’d also rather play Swallow forward (where he is more suited) and put a fast user in the backline like Jeffry, Farrar, Johnston or even Closely.

I still think we need to find a place for Mac Andrew.

3 more years of The Crab doing crab things.

Even though it meant nothing, the fight back is nice to see. Definitely a few changes that can be made going forward.

That obrien lad looks a better forward than Tsitas. Will be interesting to see who plays next week, surely some changes to be made.

Only watched the 4 periods, seems like the 2's put the foot down which is promising.

Big positive out of the first half of the game was Budarick, who looked assured. A lot of our blokes missing easy targets was frustrating. First impressions but Sexton was decent off HB but a bit wasteful. Rowell had some real burst moments from packs. Humphrey was there abouts, could have had 3 or 4 goals.

Not going to read too much into this. GWS next week will be the proper dress rehearsal, expect perhaps some top performing twos players will be given a chance.

If MacPherson, Tsitas and Long/Berry get games ahead of Rosas I am going to spew up. Showed so much more than any single one of them did
Have to agree, all this talk of pressure forwards but I think rosas puts as much pressure on anyway. Plus when he gets the ball the defenders become under pressure because he is dangerous with it.
From what I've seen a forward line of casboult king rosas luko ainsworth Humphrey plus holman is enough pressure, more worried about the delivery in and the ability to compete in the air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree, all this talk of pressure forwards but I think rosas puts as much pressure on anyway. Plus when he gets the ball the defenders become under pressure because he is dangerous with it.
From what I've seen a forward line of casboult king rosas luko ainsworth Humphrey plus holman is enough pressure, more worried about the delivery in and the ability to compete in the air.
Agree, at a certain point pressure becomes redundant if we don’t do anything with it. All the pressure in the world and no goals to show for it is not real pressure.

The biggest worry was the amount of times we had the ball forward of centre and just blasted it long to a 3 on 1 and turned it over. It's like the Lions players knew our game plan better than our players did.

Definitely need a Walter/Levi type to bring it to ground. Luko and King don't provide much in the bash and crash department.

We need players who can create goals out of a half chance. We lost it with rankine, luko has it and is why he is more value up the ground and not a key fwd like tonight but we don't have many. Rosas has that bit of x factor and is still young, I reckon he should be persevered with. I get the experiment with mac Andrew but surely he just settles a bit longer at half back where he was really starting to shine late last year. Read can learn his craft in the reserves for a bit to get him ready.

Admittedly, the forward pressure in the first 4 periods was quite good, but we only scored 55 points and Ainsworth was the only bloke who looked interested in kicking a goal (Brisbane’s defence is also very good to be fair). You still need someone there to stop them triple teaming King and actually kick goals.

The other take away for me was that the new game style really started to stand out when the VFL guys came on. Yeah the opposition got worse, but the run, overlap, and most importantly, ball skills looked completely different and exactly like what we wanted. Makes a huge difference when players can hit an uncontested target, which SHOULD have a few guys nervous hopefully.

First practice game. I would wait with some deep analysis. It looks like we got no injuries? My impression is that it will take some time to learn Dimma's plan and some players sorting will need to happen. I am far from convinced by Dimma's choices. I expect bumpy road ahead, especially early.

Just some observations from watching the game at BHA. I don't like the place, but I like the oval. It took us 10 min the last 300 m to the stadium and there was nowhere to park. Finally, we found some green patch. I guess, a couple of thousands of people attended but to my surprise, after 3 periods people started leaving and there were not many of us watching to the end.

As for the game.
Rowell's couple of bursts were impressive. I believe our midfield will deliver. They look ready.

Bear looks promising.

Witts did well.

So did Budarick.

So did Ballard.

The reserve line up looked like taking the game on way more than best 22, with more speed, pressure. Honestly, I enjoyed watching them more than best 22.

Best 22 did have moments too showing some aspects of a new plan like trying to keep ball inside 50 but in total it was pretty ordinary effort. Forward line struggled to function properly, poor inside deliveries.

Yes, some players and their roles are questionable too in my book - Tsitas, Fiorini and others mentioned here.

Rosas looked good.

Very disappointed by Jeffrey especially early. He did not take a next step, poor tackling.

I was very surprised by comments here about Read. I have to re-watch the game. At stadium, I and my Saints friend agreed that he has a long way to go in defence, looked lost a couple of times, Hipwood took him to cleaners several times.

Mac looked a bit rusty but progressed as game went on. Best 22 for me. I loved his body check late. It seems like he can't gain weight yet.

Ben King looked some way off, did not show really anything, easily out bodied. A bit worry at this stage.

Day lost weight but it's Casboult for me.

Lions top 2 teams for me. Charlie is a menace. We had no answer for him. He taught Uwland a lesson.

Let's see how we line-up against GWS. That will give us better indications.

Last edited:
First practice game. I would wait with some deep analysis. It looks like we got no injuries? My impression is that it will take some time to learn Dimma's plan and some players sorting will need to happen. I am far from convinced by Dimma's choices. I expect bumpy road ahead, especially early.

Just some observations from watching the game at BHA. I don't like the place, but I like the oval. It took us 10 min the last 300 m to the stadium and there was nowhere to park. Finally, we found some green patch. I guess, a couple of thousands of people attended but to my surprise, after 3 periods people started leaving and there were not many of us watching to the end.

As for the game.
Rowell's couple of bursts were impressive. I believe our midfield will deliver. They look ready.

Bear looks promising.

Witts did well.

So did Budarick.

So did Ballard.

The reserve line up looked like taking the game on way more than best 22, with more speed, pressure. Honestly, I enjoyed watching them more than best 22.

Best 22 did have moments too showing some aspects of a new plan like trying to keep ball inside 50 but in total it was pretty ordinary effort. Forward line struggled to function properly, poor inside deliveries.

Yes, some players and their roles are questionable too in my book - Tsitas, Fiorini and others mentioned here.

Rosas looked good.

Very disappointed by Jeffrey especially early. He did not take a next step, poor tackling.

I was very surprised by comments here about Read. I have to re-watch the game. At stadium, I and my Saints friend agreed that he has a long way to go in defence, looked lost a couple of times, Hipwood took him to cleaners several times.

Mac looked a bit rusty but progressed as game went on. Best 22 for me. I loved his body check late. It seems like he can't gain weight yet.

Ben King looked some way off, did not show really anything, easily out bodied. A bit worry at this stage.

Day lost weight but it's Casboult for me.

Lions top 2 teams for me. Charlie is a menace. We had no answer for him. He taught Uwland? a lesson.

Let's see how we line-up against GWS. That will give us better indications.

Bit unfair on Read imo. The kid is 18, took some nice marks, uses the ball pretty well for his size.
Of course he'd struggle a bit against a season key forward, but think there was more than enough to like for his first game.

Whiting agrees with some of our comments about Clohsey being a bright spot tonight. He looked good.
Seems they like him for the wing position, is looks to be fiming for an opening round debut.

Bit unfair on Read imo. The kid is 18, took some nice marks, uses the ball pretty well for his size.
Of course he'd struggle a bit against a season key forward, but think there was more than enough to like for his first game.

Whiting agrees with some of our comments about Clohsey being a bright spot tonight. He looked good.
Seems they like him for the wing position, is looks to be fiming for an opening round debut.
Yeah, I re-watched the first 3 periods. Read did some nice things in 3rd period. At ground from opposite end, I got him mixed up with Ballard. They look bloody similar, even game style!

Last edited:
Last night confirmed lemmens is still our best lock down defender and has to play against the tigers with bolton and dusty to worry about.
Back 6/7 for me lemmens Collins Andrew
Powell ballard sexton/ budarick
Although it seems swallow probably gets picked before Andrew, I just don't see what he adds to the backline. I'm trying to work out what they are doing with Andrew and I think with the return of Walter we won't have a 2nd ruck. Walter, King and luko forward with Andrew to chop out forward and ruck. Might aswell roll with it now because day is no good, or just play casboult.

Does anyone know why Day was chosen in our best 22 ahead of Casboult?

If you think that was best 22 in first 4 periods then maybe you been on the medicinal with Dimma.

few of those players in the first 4 period were given a go to see what they’re working with. Someone like Tsitas trains the house down and licks the coaches ass if you come in and don’t know much about him but sees the way he goes about it then you’re going to give him a go but I don’t expect him to last long in the seniors he got worse as the game went on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back