Preview Community Series vs GWS @ Manuka Oval - Thurs 29 Feb; 6:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

You are either winning or you are learning.....whole lot of lessons going on this year.

Currently balancing these two things:
  • hopeful that real games, becoming more instinctive, and gaining confidence in what the coaching staff are trying to do can push us to at least 11 wins (a record!)
  • fearful that too many players are elite trainers that just ain't that good when it comes to real games

Absolutely horrible performance, don't give me the new gameplan rubbish it doesn't stop you from tackling and competing strongly when the team needs you.
King is a worry, he has some obvious mental demons but he'll get a chance against a weaker tigers defence. Swallow is done unless he plays forward. Berry went past a few. There's some signs mac could be a lethal 2nd ruck. Powell got better as the game went on. Ainsworth is a concern, don't think he's a small forward get him back on the wing where he finished last season well. There's a spot for rosas. Day might get the nod ahead of casboult. Touk is covering the ground well but I reckon he's lost a yard. Need another marking defender, either mac or Jeffery. There's a glimmer of hope with sexton as a half back.
Very disappointing but maybe the players have been reading to much of the hype and this is the reality check required. Let's hope so anyway.
Spot on - it's as if I wrote it myself. There are just too many players who have passed their use by date - difficult to see whether we have the depth stocks but they should ALL be retired to VFL and give the younger ones a go. Nothing to lose at this stage.

Touk “ one of our best” is this guy serious? He was a turn over machine, hacking the ball by hand and foot
I thought the same and made the comment during the game. He looks slow, fumbled or missed getting the ball entirely when it was within reach BUT he can find it for sure. Handballs to opposition, kicks that went to opposition or into dangerous spaces. A good goal and a couple of handballs that resulted in scores BUT he was far from our best.

I haven't looked at the team list but I presume there was no-one playing last night that wasn't on-list last year when we won 2 of our last 9?
I also presume Dimma didn't arrive with a handful of magic beans that will turn our B graders into A graders
5 months ago we were a struggling team that finished 15th
We hope Hardwick has the ability to turn us into a competitive unit but thinking a pre-season is going to turn us into a team that will match heavy weights like the Giants is just wishful thinking
It's the old issue of not being able to attract superstars like Brisbane seems to have no trouble doing and relying on natural progression
9th I think

Serious thought should be given to picking up Alex Rance in the mid season draft - our backline is terrible. Needs some stability back there with Sam Collins showing little signs of his rock steady play, plucking down big marks etc. Ballard also seems uncharacteristically hesitant. Dave Swallow is NOT a defender. Buderick was very quiet. Lemmens is gone. Will Powell started horrendously but improved as the game went on. Ellis - get his retirement papers ready. I'd play Joel Jeffery, Bodie Uwland and Will Graham in preference. Some have had too many chances. Sexton keeps his spot but not sold it's a permanent move that will work. Fingers crossed.

I haven't looked at the team list but I presume there was no-one playing last night that wasn't on-list last year when we won 2 of our last 9?
I also presume Dimma didn't arrive with a handful of magic beans that will turn our B graders into A graders
5 months ago we were a struggling team that finished 15th
We hope Hardwick has the ability to turn us into a competitive unit but thinking a pre-season is going to turn us into a team that will match heavy weights like the Giants is just wishful thinking
9th I think
On the past two matches - bottom four but let's hope for some rapid improvement to make that wrong. I'd say 9th or 10th is a realistic first season under new plan. Sure hope I'm wrong but not given a lot of comfort from these efforts.

I thought the same and made the comment during the game. He looks slow, fumbled or missed getting the ball entirely when it was within reach BUT he can find it for sure. Handballs to opposition, kicks that went to opposition or into dangerous spaces. A good goal and a couple of handballs that resulted in scores BUT he was far from our best.
Not sure why there is a need to pick up on Miller. I could do basically the same with all players except Berry who tried hard and showed something. At least Miller had 16 contested possessions. Our next best was Rowell with 8. They were our only 2 players in top 10 from both teams. Totally obliterated in contest, intensity.

Let's see the Opening round.

Not sure why there is a need to pick up on Miller. I could do basically the same with all players except Berry who tried hard and showed something. At least Miller had 16 contested possessions. Our next best was Rowell with 8. They were our only 2 players in top 10 from both teams. Totally obliterated in contest, intensity.

Let's see the Opening round.
Possibly because he's a catalyst for the team. His start was really poor and the rot set in. He's one of our best and so scrutiny should be heaviest on those at that level. Flanders has been a shell of his form from late last year. Was he mid field most of the game or out on the flank? Hard to tell. Opening round will be very interesting. On form and I've seen both Richmond games as well as ours - Tigers should start favourite which is NOT what we want.

On the past two matches - bottom four but let's hope for some rapid improvement to make that wrong. I'd say 9th or 10th is a realistic first season under new plan. Sure hope I'm wrong but not given a lot of comfort from these efforts.
Oh I hope not bottom 4
Our midfield alone will win us enough games I think to make us competitive
I see Luko and King making defenders heads spin this year but who's at their feet to feast off the table
Collo isnt a modern day A grade fullback.Too small.Too slow
Our only A grade defender is Ballard +/- a fit Powell
Most successful dynasties are built off solid defence and that we do not have and it appears Alex Sexton as a rebounding half back is the answer in the absence of Weller

Serious thought should be given to picking up Alex Rance Buderick was very quiet.

In his defence it was like he was trying to cover too much off the ball and getting caught between two players. Actually to be honest there was a few in that basket

The in game smarts is lacking. Like a couple of times Toby Greene had the ball line up for set shot and had team mates lurking behind and our players just walking around yelling and pointing at each other then chip to decoy team mate and bang goal. Fair enough just once but several times it happened and I could see it from the stands

The only tiny bit of potential optimism you can possibly take away from this pre-season is that hopefully our key guys were only going at 50%. Anderson, Ballard, Touk, King, Lukosius, Flanders, etc. are all 3-4 steps up in quality than that and their body language did come across as though they weren’t really bothered in chasing, tackling, or defending.

The fact they don’t really have shame in dishing up performances like that, round 24, etc. is a whole other issues that has stained the club since foundation, but dear god please let it be true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the plus side, would start Berry up on the wing over Ellis with his speed and grit. Need the ball in his and Ainsworth’s hands over Fiorini and Ellis if we want to be going quick.

Ellis and Fiorini together is just way too slow on both sides and we had no way out of defence with our wings unable to get off their opponent and provide an option.

The only tiny bit of potential optimism you can possibly take away from this pre-season is that hopefully our key guys were only going at 50%. Anderson, Ballard, Touk, King, Lukosius, Flanders, etc. are all 3-4 steps up in quality than that and their body language did come across as though they weren’t really bothered in chasing, tackling, or defending.

The fact they don’t really have shame in dishing up performances like that, round 24, etc. is a whole other issues that has stained the club since foundation, but dear god please let it be true.
Hardwick's teams have always been slow starters.If they were racehorses they'd be tapering for August.I would actually prefer we went 3 and 8 first half and 9 and 3 second half even if it meant 9th or 10th.A strong second half of season would be...unusual...for us

A settled back 6/7 is required to be a top side. I dont see what swallow can add that Jeffery or mac Andrew can't in the same position. Even farrar would be better in my opinion. Will certainly be an interesting selection night Thursday. Berry a real highlight in a poor night, he selects himself and I would bring rosas in if fit. Our so called pressure forwards applied zero pressure.

Broken record comments from me, a few changes for rnd one i would do.....

Ellis out > Rat in
Holman out > Rosas in
Machperson out > Swallow up fwd, Jeffry or Bodhi in
Mac Andrew I still prefer as a backman but still chop out in ruck

Fiorini stays for experience > potentially Clohesy down the track
even Fiorini out > Ainsworth Wing > Oea Fwd

Broken record comments from me, a few changes for rnd one i would do.....

Ellis out > Rat in
Holman out > Rosas in
Machperson out > Swallow up fwd, Jeffry or Bodhi in
Mac Andrew I still prefer as a backman but still chop out in ruck

Fiorini stays for experience > potentially Clohesy down the track
even Fiorini out > Ainsworth Wing > Oea Fwd
Pretty accurate - similar to my broken record. I'd definitely remove Fiorini and replace with Ainsworth (last chance) on wing. Clohesy and Faulkhead should both be given a run at some point during the year. I wouldn't have Ace in the best 22. Jeffery and Bodhi Uwland need a good run in the team. Will Graham and Ethan Reid also need to get some experience at the top level. Both are keepers. ...and then of course there's Jed Walter when he's fit to go. Jake Rogers should also be tested once his back recovers - soon I hope.

The team will perform a lot better with all the new, rarin' to go blood in the side. I think Swallow must also be on last gasp chance so forward with short chop outs in the midfield seems like his best option until someone better and younger pops up.

In summary this year should see the end of Ellis, Holman, Swallow, Lemmens, Fiorini, Ace and McPherson. Sexton will depend on his ability to transform into a back line player. Ainsworth under pressure as well.

That's the 20% Dimma needs to find a solution for - and then it's upwards.

Possibly because he's a catalyst for the team. His start was really poor and the rot set in. He's one of our best and so scrutiny should be heaviest on those at that level. Flanders has been a shell of his form from late last year. Was he mid field most of the game or out on the flank? Hard to tell. Opening round will be very interesting. On form and I've seen both Richmond games as well as ours - Tigers should start favourite which is NOT what we want.
As I said, it was crappy practice game from us and I am a bit flat from it but IMO, it's a bit premature to go all Cornes on our team as he did today on SEN. I am with King - give it 2 months of regular season and then evaluate. Obviously, work rate, contest has to go to another level in regular season. No excuse.

But until players execute a new plan automatically, we are probably screwed. You can see they are thinking about it, thinking what to do.

And yes, some selections make me question Dimma smarts (was it actually his assistants brought to Tigers when he was almost fired that made a difference?). We will find out this season.

When we do talk about Miller, IMO, he was probably best from our leaders. Not that it means a lot. At least he had crack in contest, tackled. Re-watching 1st QTR (BTW not too bad from us), yes, he had 2 early turnovers from trying to play on (probably our new plan to play fast) which I can live with.

If anybody set the tone it was vice-captain Collins with no effort on Riccardi in first 20s (with more bad efforts followed).

If you're in the area tonight, try go down to the vfl practice game. Unsure if it being streamed. They rarely are unless its discretion by the club.
To be honest, I would be more keen on this game than yesterday's one. No chance to be streamed.

To be honest, I would be more keen on this game than yesterday's one. No chance to be streamed.
If you go - appreciate a brief overview of who played well. Ethan Reid, Joel Jeffery, Farrah, Faulkhead, Clohesy in particular. Given how poor Casboult was last night - Sam Day may need to be resurrected again!

If you go - appreciate a brief overview of who played well. Ethan Reid, Joel Jeffery, Farrah, Faulkhead, Clohesy in particular. Given how poor Casboult was last night - Sam Day may need to be resurrected again!
Just saw the game is on the GC - so Jen won't make it! ...but I might. Just down the road. I'll see if I can get a clearance from home duties - otherwise somebody must be going?

Just saw the game is on the GC - so Jen won't make it! ...but I might. Just down the road. I'll see if I can get a clearance from home duties - otherwise somebody must be going?
Yeah, GC.. I'm heading to the movies tonight to watch the pies doco
But looking forward for some updates on how the players go, to push up on selection.

I can’t make it from Brisbane. Please go and tell us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back