Review Round 19 vs Greater Western Sydney Giants @ Manuka Oval - 23/07/23 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Ainsworth has disappointed me, he's a good mark, works hard but unless he gets the ball on the lead, he doesn't offer much. He's 5 foot something and when do you ever see him front and center? They talked about how Toby Green is so dangerous not just in the air but gets most of his goals from loose ball gets, you just aren't getting that from Ainsworth, he's servicable but he's not much more than that.

Ben King, jesus, what can you say, you would think being a defender in his juniors he would be able to nullify the contest, but he is so out of touch he's hurting himself and the team, and I don't know if dropping him is good or bad but in the last month of football he averages 5 touches a game and hasnt kicked a goal, I don't know what you do with him but he is as bad as bad can be atm.

Ace is stealing afl games from people in the vfl who deserve their shot. Hollands for example I think has looked a better player forward of the ball. His speed is great, his story is great, but we've just sacked our coach for underperfming and yet we pick this guy every week, that's too inconsistent for mine.

Nick Holman was terrible. I get why he's picked, but he is too inconsistent, especially when it's effort and pressure that you bring, if that's your whole game, you need to bring that every week, or be more of an offensive threat but he's neither and the commentators froth over him cause they watch 1 in every 3 games.

Ben Long got his pants pulled down, he hasn't shown me that he could be the small to med defender in a gf winning side, I'd bring Lemmens back in for him.

Witts looked like he was struggling running back to the group after flipping the coin. He won't have many more years left, his body is packing it in. Moyle, Read, Andrew are all exciting prospects for when he does give it away.

Stock standard from our man in Bronze, the $800k statue. This game has past him and I look at what Port has done with Jonas, and we just don't have the kahonas, it might upset touk.

Ellis, thankyou next. What possible benefit do we stand to make from playing him from here on out? He would be a great vfl vice captain under Swallow.

Macpherson has fallen off a cliff, if he isn't even considered against Toby Green then why pick him? Put Farrar back there.

There were others but you get the jist

Ben Ainsworth has disappointed me, he's a good mark, works hard but unless he gets the ball on the lead, he doesn't offer much. He's 5 foot something and when do you ever see him front and center? They talked about how Toby Green is so dangerous not just in the air but gets most of his goals from loose ball gets, you just aren't getting that from Ainsworth, he's servicable but he's not much more than that.

Ben King, jesus, what can you say, you would think being a defender in his juniors he would be able to nullify the contest, but he is so out of touch he's hurting himself and the team, and I don't know if dropping him is good or bad but in the last month of football he averages 5 touches a game and hasnt kicked a goal, I don't know what you do with him but he is as bad as bad can be atm.

Ace is stealing afl games from people in the vfl who deserve their shot. Hollands for example I think has looked a better player forward of the ball. His speed is great, his story is great, but we've just sacked our coach for underperfming and yet we pick this guy every week, that's too inconsistent for mine.

Nick Holman was terrible. I get why he's picked, but he is too inconsistent, especially when it's effort and pressure that you bring, if that's your whole game, you need to bring that every week, or be more of an offensive threat but he's neither and the commentators froth over him cause they watch 1 in every 3 games.

Ben Long got his pants pulled down, he hasn't shown me that he could be the small to med defender in a gf winning side, I'd bring Lemmens back in for him.

Witts looked like he was struggling running back to the group after flipping the coin. He won't have many more years left, his body is packing it in. Moyle, Read, Andrew are all exciting prospects for when he does give it away.

Stock standard from our man in Bronze, the $800k statue. This game has past him and I look at what Port has done with Jonas, and we just don't have the kahonas, it might upset touk.

Ellis, thankyou next. What possible benefit do we stand to make from playing him from here on out? He would be a great vfl vice captain under Swallow.

Macpherson has fallen off a cliff, if he isn't even considered against Toby Green then why pick him? Put Farrar back there.

Agree with a fair bit of that. But saying macpherson against Greene is off the mark.
Greene is excellent in the air, plays a lot taller than he is. Macpherson is there for your Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford types.

Another dispirited performance with the usual suspects poorly performing and well below AFL standards - passes for the bigger known names as they shoulder the load every f....n week BUT we have at least half a dozen who just aren't up to it.
1: Ace: He's the PC project for the Suns and AFL but is nowhere near an A grade player.
2: Swallow: Love him but it's time to have a long rest and get a statue out the front.
3: Long: Not up to it.
4: McPherson: Tries hard but another who would struggle to get a game anywhere else.
5: Holman: One of the few who actually has some animal but doesn't get enough of the ball.
6: Ellis: Thanks for your service

Suggestions:
1: Play Humphrey in the mid field - not a high forward
2: Hollands and Flanders - if they go it will be because we continually played some of the above over these two. They actually can play and get the ball and then do something with it.
3: Constable has to be as good an option as Swallow these days.
4: Sharp's probably gone but let's see what we might have missed out on.
5: Casboult down back to assist Collins and Ballard
6: Ainsworth to the pocket and bring in another high forward - Sexton or Burgess
7: Don't bring Rosas back on today's game in the 2s - he's also not up to it.
8: Fiorini has to be a better option than Ace etc!
9: Try Chol again with Casboult moving down back.
10: Try Farrar in place of Long - can't be any worse.

I've probably missed a few but with 2023 'dust' we should be playing around with some of the guys in the 2s who have been continually performing.

Biggest shame will be if we lose Hollands and Flanders due to Dew's inept ability to recognise talent.
So you are asking to play Touk, anderson, rowell, Flanders, hollands, humphrey and fiorini all in the midfield. how?

Some of them have to play other roles.
Anderson wing, humphrey forward, hollands forward are the most likely of those to succeed IMO.

Saw first half only.
Collins, Flanders, luko and Andrew good.

Powell gets caught holding the ball in d50 far too often. Does lots of good things but gifts too many goals from mistakes.

Witts outplayed by Briggs

Long not strong enough in the air to do the jobs given to him. Farrar gets a go next week.

Ace must be out next week. Sexton or Rosas in for me.

Quiet game from the prime mids.

Connection between mids-forwards and forward leading patterns severely out.

Agree with a fair bit of that. But saying macpherson against Greene is off the mark.
Greene is excellent in the air, plays a lot taller than he is. Macpherson is there for your Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford types.
You're probably right, I wasn't happy so just venting. I would like to see Uwland get another crack though and Johnson as well, maybe in the North Melbourne game.

Got them all...on same page.

Agree with all those and had missed Ainsworth off my initial post. He does one or two things a game (like so many of his pals) but it's never enough to be considered a quality player. Been like it for most of his career. Kicks a classy goal and then misses a clutch shot when it really matters. Our top level is good but we drop off drastically - let's hope Hardwick can change that in 2024.

Stock standard embarrassing capitulation.
You're seen dozens of them missed nothing.

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

just tune in next week, you'll see the same thing
I watched until half time and as we were only two points down was hoping to watch the second half this morning.
After receiving the replies I almost wanted to scream but know the heartache.
When's it going to change!!

That was miserly performance. Hard to watch 2nd half. Midfield obliterated again. After sugar hit last week, most players looked mentally cooked.

Probably only 6 players did OK for me - Collins, Powell, Luko, Casboult, Atkins, Flanders, Andrew.

I suspect next 5 games will be painful to watch to say the least. Reality of missing finals and failed season set in.

Let's see how we go under a new coach next year. We are not as bad as we look at the moment. At least, I hope.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was miserly performance. Hard to watch 2nd half. Midfield obliterated again. After sugar hit last week, most players looked mentally cooked.

Probably only 6 players did OK for me - Collins, Powell, Luko, Casboult, Atkins, Flanders, Andrew.

I suspect next 5 games will be painful to watch to say the least. Reality of missing finals and failed season set in.

Let's see how we go under a new coach next year. We are not as bad as we look at the moment. At least, I hope.
I actually think we are that bad right now. Until our midfield become consistent, we’ll struggle to beat any semi-decent team.

The reality is that we lack star power on this team, and have no firepower. And I don’t see that changing. We have a couple of players in the right age bracket (like Miller), but are mostly too young. We haven’t attracted anyone of note in over a decade to shape a team or add some spark.

Beating St Kilda last week means nothing. They stumbled over North Melbourne and if they make finals they will likely capitulate.

Yes, GWS are in red hot form—but they have that star power we lack to allow them to find form. That’s the difference.

I actually think we are that bad right now. Until our midfield become consistent, we’ll struggle to beat any semi-decent team.

The reality is that we lack star power on this team, and have no firepower. And I don’t see that changing. We have a couple of players in the right age bracket (like Miller), but are mostly too young. We haven’t attracted anyone of note in over a decade to shape a team or add some spark.

Beating St Kilda last week means nothing. They stumbled over North Melbourne and if they make finals they will likely capitulate.

Yes, GWS are in red hot form—but they have that star power we lack to allow them to find form. That’s the difference.
You may be correct, but I still think a lot of this crap is mental due to failed season. We looked pretty good in Darwin and not only because of conditions and in a couple of other games too.

Let's see next year with a fresh start, modified plan under a new coach. Quality, age profile is mostly there. Rowell, Anderson will be in their 5th year, Luko 6th. Ballard, Powell entering prime and so on. While King looks terrible people seem to forget he is coming from ACL. He was on track to score 50+ goals before bye. Who knows what's wrong with him but he did mention before bye that rehab guys are helping him dealing with soreness.

GWS looked terrible last year with a basically the same list. The new coach made a difference. GWS players including senior ones now believe, bought into a game plan and play accordingly. Yeah, they have some experienced players who played in GF. We can turn it around next year too. If not, it will be a disaster with players leaving.

Last edited:
I also believe we can improve sharply but the list needs to be tweaked in certain areas, important trade period.

I'm not so sure about that
We're selecting from basically a full list filled with high end draft picks
It's pretty depressing really

Same boat as freo, list demographic is too young. No one at their peak age 26-30

That’s why we need to bring in more in that bracket.

Gary lyon going over ben kings poor vision from the weekends game tonight on the couch. Lyon, Brown and Buckley all convinced his head isn't in it at the moment for whatever reason. Lyon actually believes going back to the reserves is the right thing and that it shouldn't be looked at badly from the critics. I have to agree, the amount of times the ball will come in at reserves level he would get plenty of opportunities to get that confidence back. Probably should have happened a few weeks ago especially when there's plenty of depth to cover.

Gary lyon going over ben kings poor vision from the weekends game tonight on the couch. Lyon, Brown and Buckley all convinced his head isn't in it at the moment for whatever reason. Lyon actually believes going back to the reserves is the right thing and that it shouldn't be looked at badly from the critics. I have to agree, the amount of times the ball will come in at reserves level he would get plenty of opportunities to get that confidence back. Probably should have happened a few weeks ago especially when there's plenty of depth to cover.
We can only speculate. The fact is Ben played well before bye. If his head is not in it for whatever reason I doubt VFL will help. A lot of players struggled after bye. I was watching Rowell on Sun and was thinking WTF happened to him after WB/Crows games too.

The amount of times the ball hit the deck and King just watched and flat out refused to chase, it was baffling. Doesn't get any easier this week with Harris Andrews.

He has to be injured surely, because the minimum an AFL player should be doing is chasing. Chol should feel very hard done by if he can't get a look in over King.

The amount of times the ball hit the deck and King just watched and flat out refused to chase, it was baffling. Doesn't get any easier this week with Harris Andrews.

He has to be injured surely, because the minimum an AFL player should be doing is chasing. Chol should feel very hard done by if he can't get a look in over King.
Witts is another one I hate to watch when he can barely move. Put Moyle in. Season is over. I would like to see Johnston in too but it seems he aggravated his knee twice over the weekend.

We can only speculate. The fact is Ben played well before bye. If his head is not in it for whatever reason I doubt VFL will help. A lot of players struggled after bye. I was watching Rowell on Sun and was thinking WTF happened to him after WB/Crows games too.
Rowell certainly was down on the weekend but don't think he has been too bad recently. Think the opposition put a lot of work into him around stoppages as a sign of respect of what he can do in that area.

Drop King to VFL for a few games and see if the effort improves. No other KPF in the league would hold his spot with Kings current form. There has to be accountability for continued poor form at this level.

I think Moyle might be getting close to a game, as Witta looked to be struggling in the last few games. Big fella might need a spell to freshen up.

Luko’s injury is concerning, considering he is our in form forward. Hopefully it’s just a mild cork.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back