Preview Community Series vs GWS @ Manuka Oval - Thurs 29 Feb; 6:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a few changes are needed and we know that now for sure. One week to paper over a lot of cracks.

Might take a while to sort out the best 22, but the reality is that a few players aren’t currently up to it based on tonight—practice game or not.
At least 5 or 6 need to go. Most will pick the same guys to go but they keep getting selected.

Anyone jumping off of Ben King now is just being silly. The guy spent the last few weeks of last season injured and just came into competitive training a couple weeks ago.

Not good tonight, but geez!

Couldn't have had two harder opponents back to back. While not great, I think there was signs, even in moments.

Game plans rarely turn overnight, but the more they play it, they'll keep adjusting.
The dead wood must go...play the future. Lemmens, Holman, Ainsworth, McPherson, Fiorini must all have targets on them now. The better boys also need to stand up and lead. Sexton keeps his spot for now I guess.

The dead wood must go...play the future. Lemmens, Holman, Ainsworth, McPherson, Fiorini must all have targets on them now. The better boys also need to stand up and lead. Sexton keeps his spot for now I guess.
i want to see the future too. stuff these old campaigners

Swallow.. I fear the end is near.

Hopefully Clohesy has a good game tomorrow in the vfl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except 10min in 1st QTR our work rate was second class today. Only practice match. No need for melts yet :p

Berry did well (the only player?). Humphrey and Mac had some good moments.

Let's see how we go in Opening round. It will probably take us half season to adjust to a new plan. But effort, pressure should be non-negotiable.

Last edited:
9e94feb72fa2bcc10ef02d3c12e0314f.jpg

Absolutely horrible performance, don't give me the new gameplan rubbish it doesn't stop you from tackling and competing strongly when the team needs you.
King is a worry, he has some obvious mental demons but he'll get a chance against a weaker tigers defence. Swallow is done unless he plays forward. Berry went past a few. There's some signs mac could be a lethal 2nd ruck. Powell got better as the game went on. Ainsworth is a concern, don't think he's a small forward get him back on the wing where he finished last season well. There's a spot for rosas. Day might get the nod ahead of casboult. Touk is covering the ground well but I reckon he's lost a yard. Need another marking defender, either mac or Jeffery. There's a glimmer of hope with sexton as a half back.
Very disappointing but maybe the players have been reading to much of the hype and this is the reality check required. Let's hope so anyway.

Speaking after the loss, Suns co-captain Touk Miller, who was one of his side’s best with a game-high 33 touches, preached patience while the team adapts to Hardwick’s methods.

“We didn’t want to come here with heaps of expectation, take the scoreboard out of it. We’ve obviously had a really big three months learning a new game plan,” he told Fox Footy.

“It’s not going to be like that for the whole entire year, we’re going to keep adding to it and refining it. We did some good things and poor things.

“Footy is imperfect so you’ve got to take it as it comes. I know ‘Dimma’ is really strong on keep tweaking stuff and learning from our mistakes and I feel like we’re going to do that really well.”

Swallow.. I fear the end is near.
Have to admit I had the same thought while watching the game last night.

King has just played on the best and 2nd best key defenders in the league the past 2 weeks of trials. Won't be writing him off yet, will get his chances against the Tigers. Lukosius snagging 4 is good though.
If Noah Balta was still playing as a defender then I may be more worried about it continuing, but you can't compare Richmond's current backline to the likes of Harris Andrews and Sam Taylor. Andrews and Taylor are literally AA key defenders in their physical primes playing for teams that made the prelim final weekend last year. Very difficult for any forward to perform well under those circumstances. Let's see how Kingy goes against Richmond in a game that actually means something.

Rowell and Miller need to win first possesion and look for Anderson his decision making and skill is so much more damaging than those two. Humphrey looks close to being very good as well, I hope Powell can put together a full season he is All Australian caliber. Lukosis could be a top 50 player by the end of the year if he gets off to a good start and builds some confidence, he has all the tools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back