Autopsy Round 23 vs Carlton Blues @ The Bank - 19/08/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't disagree with that, Curnow might be the best player in the game right now. I just think Ballard benefited from Dew's pressure heavy game plan which resulted in rushed kicks that he was able to pick off, but as we play a more attacking game plan, we're exposed going the other way and I don't like Ballard in that situation, I'm not sure he is strong enough in the contest. I brought it up in preseason and got told to get in my box pretty quickly but I still think we are vulnerable 1 on 1 with either Ballard or Collins.
Id rather be more attacking and risk our defenders being left 1v1 than playing that slow s**t contest footy where we struggle getting forward. No doubt Collins and Chucky aren't great 1v1 but most defenders aren't these days. They are all interceptors. Sam Taylor and May probably the only 2 1v1 defenders really left.

Ballard looked up for the challenge in the first quarter and gave Curnow nothing. Then our middle part of the ground just stopped putting up any resistance and no defence was going to be able to stop Curnow after that with the way he is playing and with McKay back to key an eye on as well.

But again, Ballard is your 2nd/3rd defender, not the guy you put on the best key forward in the league.
The ball didn't get down there in the first too often. It's too harsh to say it's on Ballard, I'm definitely not suggesting that, the whole team fell asleep. But agree with your second paragraph there. He is a 2nd tall defender, Mac has to be the 3rd tall who can rebound which means Collins needs to be the man back there, he's good enough to do it, but we need him at his best, and he needs help when he can get it from his teammates

Id rather be more attacking and risk our defenders being left 1v1 than playing that slow s**t contest footy where we struggle getting forward. No doubt Collins and Chucky aren't great 1v1 but most defenders aren't these days. They are all interceptors. Sam Taylor and May probably the only 2 1v1 defenders really left.
I agree with you

Loved Touk charging off the back of a mark for some handball receives yesterday.

He’s got a great mid distance low driving kick inside 50.

Also had a few fantastic efforts on the broadcast wing where leg drive burst him through a tackle and into space. Was pretty exciting to watch.

Don't disagree with that, Curnow might be the best player in the game right now. I just think Ballard benefited from Dew's pressure heavy game plan which resulted in rushed kicks that he was able to pick off, but as we play a more attacking game plan, we're exposed going the other way and I don't like Ballard in that situation, I'm not sure he is strong enough in the contest. I brought it up in preseason and got told to get in my box pretty quickly but I still think we are vulnerable 1 on 1 with either Ballard or Collins.
Absolutely we are. We have three intercepting talls, plus Powell. All great in the air. But a good team forward structure can mess it up easily, or as you said, a dominant midfield will expose it badly.

Loved Ainsworth in the back half.. was a good link at some stages.
And pushed forward to snag a couple. Win win
Feel like he has been in a semi-wing type role this year. That’s why sometimes he sort of rips games apart or at least is very noticeable, and other games he is barley sighted.

I've calmed down from the disappointment of yesterday and can view the game in its totality now. The second quarter lapse was unacceptable and cost us the win but at the same time we were right in it all the way to the end against the form team of the competition so that's a big positive in my mind. A younger version of our team would have fallen away in that third quarter but we hung in there and put ourselves in a position to win it.

Even in the last three minutes of the game you saw our guys were desperate for the win and Noah even had a shot to win it. They fought hard despite not having much to play for (other than pride) and that's a good sign for the future. Sure we didn't get the four points yesterday but we did show we have players capable of beating the very best teams in the competition and we saw that against Brisbane a few weeks ago as well.

I'm confident with a better/more experienced coach (Hardwick) we would have secured the win yesterday. Dimma will have the talent and all he needs to do is to remove/lessen those quarter lapses and we'll be playing in September. The appointment of Hardwick has come at the perfect time for this list in a lot of ways.

Loved Ainsworth in the back half.. was a good link at some stages.
60/40 defence end
27 touches at 75% and pushed forward to snag a couple.

Win win

Much better then using his skill set out of the forward pocket
Given our complete lack of outside runners, I’d be happy to see Ainsworth start around 1 next year as our full-time wing.

I think the way we are trying to play (and hopefully continue to under Dimma) really suits him and allows us to move the ball much better, and gives us an extra spot in the forward line to play someone like Sexton who is an actual threat.

Given our complete lack of outside runners, I’d be happy to see Ainsworth start around 1 next year as our full-time wing.

I think the way we are trying to play (and hopefully continue to under Dimma) really suits him and allows us to move the ball much better, and gives us an extra spot in the forward line to play someone like Sexton who is an actual threat.
Yep, I like it. If we do it well, it ends up with a player like Ainsworth, Sexton or a deep forward like Luko waltzing into open goal.

Ainsworth was awesome yesterday. I saw him taking the kick ins at one end of the ground, kicking goals at the other end of the ground as well as playing through the middle of the ground. From here onward I'd be inclined to give him a license to roam around the ground (like Luko does) after the way I saw him impact the game yesterday. Ainsworth has the skills to play all over the ground and putting the shackles on him by forcing him to play exclusively as a small forward feels like a waste of his talent. Hopefully Dimma sees this as well and perseveres with Ainsworth playing all over the ground.

Ainsworth was awesome yesterday. I saw him taking the kick ins at one end of the ground, kicking goals at the other end of the ground as well as playing through the middle of the ground. From here onward I'd be inclined to give him a license to roam around the ground (like Luko does) after the way I saw him impact the game yesterday. Ainsworth has the skills to play all over the ground and putting the shackles on him by forcing him to play exclusively as a small forward feels like a waste of his talent. Hopefully Dimma sees this as well and perseveres with Ainsworth playing all over the ground.
Sometimes I feel we should throw him in the middle when we need some speed. He’s definitely a versatile player, which I think is what holds him back from being elite at anything. But if he can add linking play to the team, I’m happy.

Was always 45-55 at set shots anyways happy for him to start the wing. We've got no one else and blokes like Swallow/Humphrey/Dusty*/Thomas* can fill his void.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like to see Burgess tried in defence for the AFL side. He is in exceptional form in the VFL, kicking eight yesterday. We can’t fit him in the forward line, but we need him down back. We recruited him as a swingman, and I think he deserves another opportunity after winning the VFL goal-kicking two years running.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was always 45-55 at set shots anyways happy for him to start the wing. We've got no one else and blokes like Swallow/Humphrey/Dusty*/Thomas* can fill his void.
I feel like the less likely he should be to kick it, the more likely he will… It’s the easy shots that he sprays that get me.

But a speedy outside player who has the tank to run all day and contribute a goal or two most games? Yes please. We need that badly.

Swallow can play forward instead of Holman as far as I’m concerned. Humphrey needs more minutes mid. That leaves us, as always, deficient in the small forwards department.
I’d like to see Burgess tried in defence for the AFL side. He is in exceptional form in the VFL, kicking eight yesterday. We can’t fit him in the forward line, but we need him down back. We recruited him as a swingman, and I think he deserves another opportunity after winning the VFL goal-kicking two years running.

Don’t see the point. Is he better than Ballard, Collins or Andrew?

He’s in great form as a forward though, so him or McLaughlin could come in as a forward maybe. I’d rather Chol play another game, personally. Possibly Casboult could get dropped.

But I don’t think it will happen.

I feel like the less likely he should be to kick it, the more likely he will… It’s the easy shots that he sprays that get me.

But a speedy outside player who has the tank to run all day and contribute a goal or two most games? Yes please. We need that badly.

Swallow can play forward instead of Holman as far as I’m concerned. Humphrey needs more minutes mid. That leaves us, as always, deficient in the small forwards department.

He’s in great form as a forward though, so him or McLaughlin could come in as a forward maybe. I’d rather Chol play another game, personally. Possibly Casboult could get dropped.

Yeah I much rather swallow forward than Holman and can pinch in the middle if needed

Don't see burgess or mclaughlin being any part of our future so no need to gift them games. They are great depth but I would expect them to look for opportunities elsewhere.

You can’t tell me steven king isn’t one of you being a catfish.
I called the Ainsworth move early in the week

Yet everyone says I’m the crazy one.
Your 50/50 correct

IMG_5895.jpeg

We need a lockdown one-on-one centre half-back. Ballard and Andrew are not that yet; they are interceptors. But Burgess is on our list and has matured and could go defensively with many key position forwards.

We need a lockdown one-on-one centre half-back. Ballard and Andrew are not that yet; they are interceptors. But Burgess is on our list and has matured and could go defensively with many key position forwards.

So you want Burgess to play instead of Collins? Or you want to run 4 KPD?

He’s excellent depth, but he isn’t playing ahead of any other tall on our list if all are fit. That’s how I see it anyway; and based on his form, which should demand selection at times, I think the coaches do too.

Your 50/50 correct

View attachment 1780308
He's been playing on the wing a fair bit this year.

Not sure he ever started in the backline.

Wingers often push back to defence from the open side. You see Ellis all the time - most conspicuously when he dropped that mark that lead to a Curnow goal in the 2nd quarter

Your 50/50 correct

View attachment 1780308

Sack dew stole your idea

It’s round 24 against North. Let’s play him and some others and find out a few things. We already know what our best 22 can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back