Autopsy Round 3 vs Geelong @ The Bank. 02/04/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll resist any urge I have to quote some of the negative posts from earlier in this thread and I'll just say I'm very happy with the win. A week is a long time in footy and this is one of the good weeks so let's enjoy it :)

Honestly if Harley Bennell could just attend the Bank. We're a lock to win
Undoubtedly the best comment of the thread.

This comment has aged well
0-3 incoming
Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

Let the Holman slander disappear for a few weeks.. top 10 picked player every week for mine..
He makes our players lift by 10% with his toughness and puts a bit of doubt in the opposition.
Today was one of those special games where he was not thinking with ball in hand just delivering on instinct.. Love u Nick, but u don’t have the skill level to think about it, just take the first option and keep running.. tonight was brilliant!
Agree also loving the toughness and mongrel Long brings. Great pick up.

Also. Everyone should listen to Dew’s post-match. His comments on Luko and how he has given him a high-vis vest to walk around the club in to remind people that he is an option, because the team wasn’t using him or looking for him enough. Very interesting. Shows that Jack’s game is a team effort—first on Jack to present, then on the team to find him.

Also talked about his own mistakes in moving Jack around. I think third tall is Luko’s position now and he can really be a threatening player. It’s up to everyone to use that to our advantage.

Holman really did have a good game. Can never fault his effort or commitment. I was critical of his output after the first two rounds, but if he hits the scoreboard or opens up scoring opportunities consistently then I will have nothing to complain about.

I can see after some crappy comments early, everybody is now over the moon. Enjoy it.

I chose 2 good games to go to.

Reserves worked well. Humphrey looks great talent; Mac is growing on me again. Moyle will get a lot of offers from other teams.

For the AFL game, people who were piling up on Holman recently should revisit their thoughts. Junkyard dog insane chase followed by kick to King and goal changed the momentum of the game.

And yes, when Luko kicked those 60m and banana goals all Suns fans went nuts.

I liked Ace a lot, the whole team looked balanced. Just great to have Powell and Weller back.

Rowell deserves all the love.

Not converting almost killed us again. Common, Sexton.

Last edited:
I can see after some crappy comments early, everybody is now over the moon. Enjoy it.
All but one. I won't quote this user but you can go to page 4 of this thread to see this particular person was adamant they would not be happy even if we beat the Cats after I suggested all would be forgiven should we get the W against Geelong.

I stated earlier in this thread that if you lose a game you should win (Essendon) then you need to win a game you shouldn't (Geelong) to make up for it and we did exactly that. If anything I think we're better off getting a win over Geelong because it's a confidence boost of beating the reigning premiers that our boys can ride for several weeks as opposed to beating a depleted Essendon that we were supposed to beat.

Most of us expected to be 1-2 after 3 rounds against Sydney, Essendon and Geelong so in my mind we're exactly where we should be in the grand scheme of our season. It may not have played out exactly how we thought but 1-2 is 1-2 no matter how you slice it. Onto the Saints now and hopefully we can build on what was a really great win for the club.

Up the Sunnies!

Hopefully that was the game Luko realises he belongs at this level and wasn’t just a flash in the pan. Incredible performance and the way he was hitting them with confidence at the end shows it’s all between the ears with him.

Don’t know how much of it was down to Geelong’s ineptitude, but the backline looked infinitely better with Weller and Powell. Having guys in there who have played together for some time makes such a difference and even DMac looks at home, minus a couple of poor kicks.

We also saw why Casboult is still in the team. He controlled the air and is so important structure wise when he is clunking them the way he was today. Really opens the door for King to stay at home and work back into it and Luko to do what he wants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Geelong and their supporters are starting to understand jack Bowes a little more after today?
It was just impossible to see him being the player they wanted
Slow and poor decision making and getting caught with the ball a lot-at VFL level
I'll say it again to save reposting
If Geelong can make him a player that's fantastic for him and them but with the pace and frenzy the game's played at it went past Jack 3 years ago IMO

Collins had his moments today
Ballard played much better
Macpherson made Stengle look invisible
In love with Powell and Weller

This deserves more of a mention. Stengle is a current AA small forward and D-Mac made it look like he didn't even play today.
Darcy is the hardest player to assess for many reasons. If he plays like this all year though he will silence a lot of doubters.

Agree also loving the toughness and mongrel Long brings. Great pick up.
Some people were asking for us to drop Long last week. Loved his 360 no scope inside 50 today. Defense as a whole decided to actually show up.

Still need to clean up some skill errors, but I will never complain about a win!

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Defense as a whole decided to actually show up.
How much of that has to do with Weller/Powell coming back in and Constable/Uwland going out though? I would suggest a fair bit. Powell won almost every one-one-one he found himself in and provided run when needed. Weller got a lot of ball and also provided a lot of run off the halfback. Their presence alone relieves so much pressure for our talls and you saw how well Ballard played today. D-Mac was fantastic as well and Collins did his job. The one guy I would criticise from our backline today would be Farrar but I didn't think he was that bad. 5/6 defenders playing well is about as much as you can hope for and that's a stark difference to last week when probably at least half our backline deserved a spray.

What did people think of Ace's game today? I thought his speed really helped us move the ball and the ball movement was a big reason we won today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back