Autopsy Round 16 vs Collingwood Magpies @ The Bank - 01/07/23 - 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd mulligan of the year, how many we got left? 3 ?

just been listening on the radio.
Should have put the house on Collingwood at $1.65

Heard commentators say on the radio that it’s turning more and more into a small forward game. Guess what our weakest position is..

just been listening on the radio.
Should have put the house on Collingwood at $1.65

Heard commentators say on the radio that it’s turning more and more into a small forward game. Guess what our weakest position is..
Put your house on Port next week! Easiest money since Wembemayama at $1.005

Defence a shambles, Mids destroyed, Casboult and King disappointing. Ace should never have been there.

Wish the Pies didn’t put it in cruise control. Now Dew will crow about how we won the 3rd quarter. LOL.

Get rid of Dew. Enough is enough.

Defence a shambles, Mids destroyed, Casboult and King disappointing. Ace should never have been there.

Wish the Pies didn’t put it in cruise control. Now Dew will crow about how we won the 3rd quarter. LOL.

Get rid of Dew. Enough is enough.
How Ace gets a game in front of Lemmens is outrageous

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody shattered but I think this group is made of the right stuff and they learn from it. I've been a dew supporter and still not writing him off but he sees the year out and think it could be time. The loss of touk and what he has done for this team the last couple years is really starting to shine through, an unbelievable 2 way runner when fit and firing and has carried this team for a while. Lastly would love to see us get aggressive at the trade table, no more B and C graders time to get a difference maker in.

AFL: Gold Coast Suns vs Collingwood Magpies – Autopsy of a Massacre
Shattered with that showing

Let’s squint into the future and try to find some hope for these soul-crushers. The Suns would have to go 6-2 from here to make finals. I think we can safely say that is not happening but lets go through those games and just set out the base expectation for the result as a minimum:

Port Adelaide – Lose respectably by less than 20

(H) St Kilda – Win at all costs

(A) Giants – Lose a nail-biter

(H) Brisbane – Lose respectably by less than 20

(A) Adelaide – Lose a nail-biter

(A) Sydney – Lose a nail-biter

(H) Carlton – Win at all costs

(A) North Melbourne – Win extremely comfortably

I think they are most likely to win just three games from here. The Suns only look strong at home for the most part so I am reluctant to expect wins on the road for now. The Giants game and the Sydney game are the two predicted losses that that would have been down as wins if they hadn’t just shattered all expectations for the season. If they do win 5 games I would consider the season salvaged. If they only win 3 then the losses have to all be in very good performances. Any demolition jobs like today are unacceptable. Meet those standards and Dew lives to fight another day, any less and I don’t think the club can justify keeping him on.

Bloody shattered but I think this group is made of the right stuff and they learn from it. I've been a dew supporter and still not writing him off but he sees the year out and think it could be time. The loss of touk and what he has done for this team the last couple years is really starting to shine through, an unbelievable 2 way runner when fit and firing and has carried this team for a while. Lastly would love to see us get aggressive at the trade table, no more B and C graders time to get a difference maker in.
I’ve seen us get pumped with Miller too - pies were without degoey and they didn’t stutter.

End of the day we went head to head with a top 2 team and failed miserably - that’s the standard and we didn’t even come close. The club keeps talking about “making finals” rather than “winning a premiership”

Even mid-ladder teams like us know how to arrest momentum and take a 40 point loss - I didn’t see the sack of custard make any effort to shut down the corridor, shut down Daicos or nullify Moore - just back the gameplan and pray to baby Jesus the goals stop.

Dew isn’t the only issue but you’ve gotta start somewhere as another season of “meh” goes by.

Last season it was King, season before was Witts - if one of our best 22 is out and we go to a puddle then we’re never winning a flag.

Dew needs to go
Cameron needs to go
Evans needs to go

Accountability time

The gap between your best and your worst is so huge; no matter who the opposition is, effort, and competive fight should be non negotiable.

I was at the pub watching the game, and while yeah I was pleased from a pies pov, but I was quite disappointed with the way the suns went. This was a big opportunity in front of a big crowd to make a statement that you can take it up to the best. But so many efforts, skills, turnovers; lack of intensity. Midfield got smashed what was meant to be the best contested ball group in the league.

You could probably count on one hand the players that put in.

I feel like a change in game style needs to happen. The talent is there, but not sure it suits these players and the way they play. Fast, free flowing and pressure style would, which the game seems to be steering more towards.

A Mini GF
Biggest game in about a decade.
I declare Mini GF’s because of the situation, opportunity and the challenge of the fixture.
That was embarrassing.
We were laughed at.
I strongly doubt I’ll reappear again this season to declare one.
I also expect that when I next appear in 2024 that there will be a new Coach at the helm.
Probably Hardwick.
If I do reappear then Dew keeps his job. That’s unlikely.
All the best and stick solid with the beautiful little city.

Well that was a s**t show! Arrive at Nerang Station we’ll in time for the first bounce wearing my inaugural 2011 Suns members scarf to add a bit of colour to the inevitable black and white barrage I’m going to see. Haven’t actually worn that scarf since 2011 as I consider it a bit of a bad luck charm but it was going to be cold so I thought WTF I’ll wear it anyway. Get out of the car and have a flat tyre :mad: Fix the tyre and still make it in before either team has opened the scoring. From there I get to witness nothing except a black and whiteout. Eastern stands were a sea of black and white. On field it was all black and white. What a smashing. Can’t say we had one player who won their position. Good news is we left at 3/4 time and got a seat on a fast bus out of there. First time I’ve left a game early in about 30 years but why stay and have 20,000 Collingwood supporters rub it in your face. We even made Oleg Markov look like a superstar. As super impressive as Collingwood were, we were equally shithouse. We’re miles behind the best teams. Not sure we’ve got the players, playing style or intensity to move up the ladder. Ohh and that f**king scarf is going back in the closet for another 12 years.

The gap between your best and your worst is so huge; no matter who the opposition is, effort, and competive fight should be non negotiable.

I was at the pub watching the game, and while yeah I was pleased from a pies pov, but I was quite disappointed with the way the suns went. This was a big opportunity in front of a big crowd to make a statement that you can take it up to the best. But so many efforts, skills, turnovers; lack of intensity. Midfield got smashed what was meant to be the best contested ball group in the league.

You could probably count on one hand the players that put in.

I feel like a change in game style needs to happen. The talent is there, but not sure it suits these players and the way they play. Fast, free flowing and pressure style would, which the game seems to be steering more towards.
Dew has built this contested football game plan for many years, our midfielders are flat footed and getting exposed by midfielders who actually plan on moving. They will get exposed again by Butters & Rozee next week.

I love the boys but we can't have 3 of the same type of midfielders in there, someone like a Nick Daicos, Zak Butters, Conor Rozee, Adam Treloar point of difference is the way to go.

Too bad players like Elijah Hollands have gone MIA, he is exactly what we need if he ever hits his potential.

Sad day for me. Wow, I sure did not expect such an insipid performance. It looks like the team could not handle the occasion and blew it completely mentally.

Yes, Magpies looked good but no excuse for total lack of intensity, pressure, contest for most of the game. That was Eagles territory performance, got killed again in the middle, just reactive, free space everywhere, losing 1v1. Possibly only Anderson, Ballard, Powell pass mark for me. What Collins showed early with his kicks/decisions was shocking, but most players joined him.

Pendulum swung significantly to having a new coach.

Not looking forward to Port game.

Last edited:
Sad day for me. Wow, I sure did not expect such an insipid performance. It looks like the team could not handle the occasion and blew it completely mentally.

Yes, Magpies looked good but no excuse for total lack of intensity, pressure, contest for most of the game. That was Eagles territory performance, got killed again in the middle, just reactive, free space everywhere. Possibly only Anderson, Ballard, Powell pass mark for me. What Collins showed with his kicks/decisions was shocking, but most players joined him.

Pendulum swung significantly to having a new coach.

Not looking forward to Port game.
The absolute constant of the last 6 years for that team is the coach.
He has to go. The performances against Carlton and Collingwood clearly show he can not get this group up or forward.
Surely the Club will be approaching Hardwick. Surely !!

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back