Autopsy Round 6 vs North Melbourne @ The Bank - 23/04/23 - 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I just finished a rewatch and was about to post the same thing re Brayden.
He looks lean and quicker than previous years. Now Norths midfield aren't fast by any stretch of the imagination but on multiple occasion Brayden burst from a stoppage and gained metres without disposal, I have never seen him do that before. I assume he must of worked on speed over the off season cause he looks in the best nick he has ever been.
Well this is his best chance to lock down a spot with Touk out. If he starts dominating then Flanders/Davies/Hollands won’t be able to push him out.

He could always get the ball, but if he can do more with it then I don’t think anyone will be complaining about the rise of Fiorini.

He can bob up for a goal too.

Not a Fiorini fan, he has had numerous chances over many years, without locking in a spot.
Wins a bit of ball but his disposal is very ordinary and lacks leg speed.
Will get his chance because we dont have many options.
Hope he proves me wrong because the mids are going to need lots of help with Touk out.

Not a Fiorini fan, he has had numerous chances over many years, without locking in a spot.
Hope he proves me wrong because the mids are going to need lots of help with Touk out.
Fiorini really never got a proper chance inside - easily his best position. He was pretty good against North. Let's see how he goes if he spends there 60-70%.

We have other players to play there - Flanders, Davies, J Anderson. None of them is Touk but they can play there. We can give minutes to Hollands, :bearface:, Weller, Powell. In the worst scenario Blakey, Constable can play there. Touk was far from excellent this year. A lot of holding the ball, turnovers.

Fiorini really never got a proper chance inside - easily his best position. He was pretty good against North. Let's see how he goes if he spends there 60-70%.

We have other players to play there - Flanders, Davies, J Anderson. None of them is Touk but they can play there. We can give minutes to Hollands, :bearface:, Weller, Powell. In the worst scenario Blakey, Constable can play there. Touk was far from excellent this year. A lot of holding the ball, turnovers.
Agree
Losing Touk is bad but not Ablett shoulder bad

I heard some interesting stats on an AFL podcast.
Our game against North
5th most marks in our history
2nd most marks inside 50 in our history

Never seen so many sideways 15m kicks in my life
It’s not so much the number of sideways kicks that was an issue, but more the number of them that put us in a worse position or were not to the attacking advantage of our players, or didn’t go the required 15m, or were to a player with an opponent right on them.

It looked like we were doing it just because we had been told to, rather than for any particular purpose. But we may have just been using it as a training drill to learn how to kick.

It’s not so much the number of sideways kicks that was an issue, but more the number of them that put us in a worse position or were not to the attacking advantage of our players, or didn’t go the required 15m, or were to a player with an opponent right on them.

It looked like we were doing it just because we had been told to, rather than for any particular purpose. But we may have just been using it as a training drill to learn how to kick.
I tend to agree with you on the guys being told to chip it around.
If the coaching staff want to implement a different approach out of the defensive 50 I would prefer they give it a go against North rather than this week against Richmond.
They need to learn how to kick having said that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously they have addressed the problem we have had of bombing long to contest. Ideally we run and link up but it's not always going to be an option so I don't mind the next option of retaining possession. Clearly the skills can improve which will help find a more attacking position.

Obviously they have addressed the problem we have had of bombing long to contest. Ideally we run and link up but it's not always going to be an option so I don't mind the next option of retaining possession. Clearly the skills can improve which will help find a more attacking position.
Exactly. They need to improve handling momentum change. Controlling ball is one of strategies. We can't just continuously take game on.
Often, North did not know what to do and looked hopeless. Yes, they probably over did it sometimes but were mostly fine.

If they did it against Freo in the last quarter instead of taking game on they probably won.

Question is what will happen if opposition brings top pressure. That's when we struggle.

Fiorini reminds me of Jarrod Lyons as he would look good in a better team, now if we can become one he could be a very important player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back