Autopsy Round 24 vs North Melbourne Kangaroos @ Hobart - 26/08/23 - 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Im glad everyone here has had a great time watching us "stick it up Clarkson" by losing to a team that lost 20 in a row.
cheer up mate,

yes we may of lost to north today who were on a 20 game losing streak
sacked stewie dew and got worse
flanders still un-signed
bottom 4 when we aimed for finals
team is shambles

but guess what we can't lose another game of footy for another 6 months :)

cheer up mate,

yes we may of lost to north today who were on a 20 game losing streak
sacked stewie dew and got worse
flanders still un-signed
bottom 4 when we aimed for finals
team is shambles

but guess what we can't lose another game of footy for another 6 months :)
Nek minnit VFL team out in straight sets.

expected, blokes will crumble. dont care if im not "behind the boys", seen them crumble from 40 points up in the seniors and ressies this season
You're technically correct which as we've established is the best kind of correct.

Doesn't mean I have to like it

Why are we surprised?

We are 7-4 in home games this year, with losses by 5 points (robbed!) to the Demons and 4 points to the Blues.
We are now 2-10 in road games. And one of those wins was against the Eagles when they were truly hopeless.

I am kinda glad that we lost a meangingless final round in Hobart against North, just to point out the underlying problem.
We do not travel well, apart from Darwin which we have made our own and the other teams struggle with.

Since we are not a Melbourne team, we don't get 'away' games where we sleep in our own beds. Got to fix this or it won't matter. And a lot of this is on the better players to stand up and be counted when it, you know, counts. Not in the 23rd game but in some of the other 9 road losses when it might have made a difference.

I think we find out more from that loss than we would have if we had a nice soft win. Our backs weren't up to it under pressure and forwards were no where near the level. Dmac disappointing after a good start to the year, Burgess not afl, can't play chol and Casboult in the same team, Johnstone not ready although I think there's something to work with there, Ellis is getting slower and slower, Budarick ill let go as he's returning from 2x acl.
Although Casboult has been good this year I hope rd1 chol has his spot, he has so much potential just needs to unleash it.
Our defence was a shambles, Powell helps but we need a real tough lock down player.
Our delivery inside 50 still is hard to watch and don't know how it gets done but a player like dusty would be a huge help.
It's great to watch a winning vfl team but it's time to cut the players who are just good vfl players and maybe it's time for our list size to be trimmed and get quality over quantity.

AFL R24: North Melbourne vs Gold Coast Suns Review – 2023 season truly down the drain

I would like to say I’m shocked but being a Suns fan keeps you from really believing you’re the favourite for any game, it’s a shame the players didn’t feel the same way. They thought North would roll over once the Suns got a lead, but they did not. It may seem like hyperbole considering how the early years of this club went but that was truly one of its worst losses ever. The Suns were expected to at least challenge for finals this year and have already beaten North by 40 this year. The Kangas’ are one of the worst single-season teams in the modern history of the sport and have only been competitive in about 5 of their last 20 games. Their best midfielder is injured, Zurhaar is injured as is the co-captain, Luke McDonald. And the Suns made them look like a legitimate football team. I can understand how a top 8 side like the Blues can come back from 40 points down but letting North Melbourne do that is a disgrace.

AFL R24: North Melbourne vs Gold Coast Suns Review – 2023 season truly down the drain

I would like to say I’m shocked but being a Suns fan keeps you from really believing you’re the favourite for any game, it’s a shame the players didn’t feel the same way. They thought North would roll over once the Suns got a lead, but they did not. It may seem like hyperbole considering how the early years of this club went but that was truly one of its worst losses ever. The Suns were expected to at least challenge for finals this year and have already beaten North by 40 this year. The Kangas’ are one of the worst single-season teams in the modern history of the sport and have only been competitive in about 5 of their last 20 games. Their best midfielder is injured, Zurhaar is injured as is the co-captain, Luke McDonald. And the Suns made them look like a legitimate football team. I can understand how a top 8 side like the Blues can come back from 40 points down but letting North Melbourne do that is a disgrace.
Ziebell didn't play either did he? Insipid performance from so many and I had to sit next to the wife while Brisbane took 2nd spot later in the day. I must love torture.

Before the game I thought I don’t care about the result, just no injuries. So, I guess mission accomplished. But it did leave a bad taste.

We had a good start but after North lifted it looked like the team went through motions and could not match them. Players looked mentally checked out and not able to put up a fight. Like expecting it will just happen.

Thoroughly deserved win by North who wanted it more and were desperate for win. They played decent footy in a lot of games for 2-3 quarters despite 20 losses in a row.

North took the game on at every opportunity, and we could not come even close to their quick handballs and link-up runs from defence.

Interestingly, in our first game Holman wiped out Sheezel. In this game he had a free run. I agree, why Fiorini played inside (or at all) is a puzzle and not running Flanders instead there. I thought Davies was solid. But no matter what tactical changes suggested, if the team does not match intensity, nothing usually helps.

Obviously, Larkey is a gun and probably best forward at the moment together with Curnow but I hardly remember when the ball went inside our 50 so quickly and easy. Not a lot defenders can do. I liked Andrew playing on him (despite his light frame) as he was able to stay with him and mostly spoiled the ball.

As for Suns future. Are we as bad as we looked in this game? I don’t think so. Team motivation looked shot.

Dew failed, the season was a setback, basically we wasted one year (maybe two) with decent injuries run this year. Some players got older, struggled. Yes, away games are problem.

It’s up to Dimma now. Let’s see what he can do. Let’s hope it will not turn ugly. It would be disaster. It could be a transition year before he brings in some major changes (coaches, players). Not sure we can afford it. Outside review would be handy.

Time for VFL finals and AFLW (I am worried based on the practice game).

Enjoy break from Suns in AFL. It looks like most of us here need it 😊

Before the game I thought I don’t care about the result, just no injuries. So, I guess mission accomplished. But it did leave a bad taste.

We had a good start but after North lifted it looked like the team went through motions and could not match them. Players looked mentally checked out and not able to put up a fight. Like expecting it will just happen.

Thoroughly deserved win by North who wanted it more and were desperate for win. They played decent footy in a lot of games for 2-3 quarters despite 20 losses in a row.

North took the game on at every opportunity, and we could not come even close to their quick handballs and link-up runs from defence.

Interestingly, in our first game Holman wiped out Sheezel. In this game he had a free run. I agree, why Fiorini played inside (or at all) is a puzzle and not running Flanders instead there. I thought Davies was solid. But no matter what tactical changes suggested, if the team does not match intensity, nothing usually helps.

Obviously, Larkey is a gun and probably best forward at the moment together with Curnow but I hardly remember when the ball went inside our 50 so quickly and easy. Not a lot defenders can do. I liked Andrew playing on him (despite his light frame) as he was able to stay with him and mostly spoiled the ball.

As for Suns future. Are we as bad as we looked in this game? I don’t think so. Team motivation looked shot.

Dew failed, the season was a setback, basically we wasted one year (maybe two) with decent injuries run this year. Some players got older, struggled. Yes, away games are problem.

It’s up to Dimma now. Let’s see what he can do. Let’s hope it will not turn ugly. It would be disaster. It could be a transition year before he brings in some major changes (coaches, players). Not sure we can afford it. Outside review would be handy.

Enjoy break from Suns in AFL. It looks like most of us here need it 😊
I forgot Ellis from my list of yesterday. Been a solid contributor and a more mature influence but he's really way off the quality mark we need. Also be interesting what Dimma thought of him - he was a fringe player in the end at Richmond so might be time to say thanks and goodbye to Brandon...but he's not alone.

I forgot Ellis from my list of yesterday. Been a solid contributor and a more mature influence but he's really way off the quality mark we need. Also be interesting what Dimma thought of him - he was a fringe player in the end at Richmond so might be time to say thanks and goodbye to Brandon...but he's not alone.
Ellis did have interrupted pre-season with soft injuries. Maybe he can get one more season out of himself if he can have a proper off-season and stay healthy. But yeah, not holding my breath too.

Maybe we should write assessment of all players to torture ourselves. But often, players have niggles, carry injuries, had poor off-seasons we don't know about, and we write them off. King is a typical case. Luko seems also had foot issues after bye. Based on field performance, some players reviews would be disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect that was a farewell game for Burgess
Don’t know what his contract is but there’s no point keeping him
He’s failed repeatedly at AFL level and we don’t need a gun VFL forward
We need to develop Walter and Read and keep Chol sharp
No room on the list for him anymore
He’s destined for a VFL standalone Club like Werribee where he’ll be feted and cherished
Hopefully we can send him off with a VFL premiership to honour his great service to the Club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s destined for a VFL standalone Club like Werribee where he’ll be feted and cherished
Hopefully we can send him off with a VFL premiership to honour his great service to the Club

Burgess has 1 more year on his contract, got a 2 year extension last year.

2x frosty on min wage not bad. 2 afl games in that time not good.

Enjoy break from Suns in AFL. It looks like most of us here need it

Some of the skills yesterday were atrocious.

Missed kicks + so many dropped marks that should’ve been taken and the game plan after quarter time somewhat returned to the dew style. Players getting sucked into the ball carrier leaving their players free on the outside of the contest and the old bombing it long + a lot of blaming pointing ignoring and yelling at each other

I think a lot can change if the skills are there and worked on instead of running up a mountain

Burgess is signed until the end of 2024. Similar to McLaughlin I think he is only VFL but to be fair he played better in AFL in the past when he got opportunity. Never easy in first game coming from VFL.

We got extended list so a couple of mature players playing in VFL was a good idea, IMO. I did not enjoy past VFL/NEAFL years when we got hammered more often than not. If we will have a reduce list, then we need to sign 3-4 players like Burgess VFL only. We can't just draft 10 kids and developing them in VFL without mature players, Blakely, Constable. We would get killed.

Some of the skills yesterday were atrocious.

Missed kicks + so many dropped marks that should’ve been taken and the game plan after quarter time somewhat returned to the dew style. Players getting sucked into the ball carrier leaving their players free on the outside of the contest and the old bombing it long + a lot of blaming pointing ignoring and yelling at each other

I think a lot can change if the skills are there and worked on instead of running up a mountain
Yes, it was awful to watch.

I agree we blame our back 6 every time we lose But wy is the ball getting inside 50 so easy our forward and onball pressure is terrible and they don't get back to help them out easy fix attitude
Exactly. Our defence got exposed unbelievably yesterday. Not sure why people blame defence mostly. It started in the middle and no forward pressure. North just run through so easily on turnovers. If I was a defender, there would some sprays addressed to midfielders and forwards. Even Miller was caught just watching, Anderson too.

33 touches, 22 contested, 9 tackles, huge game for Rowelly.. was very stiff to miss the 22 under 22
Finished his year, (Entire AFL)

#1 Tackles
#1 Stoppage Clearances
#2 Contested Possessions
#2 Total Clearances

58 games in a row, quietly building.

Imagine if he didn't get injured? Would of easily built that outside game by now

Finished his year, (Entire AFL)

#1 Tackles
#1 Stoppage Clearances
#2 Contested Possessions
#2 Total Clearances

58 games in a row, quietly building.

Imagine if he didn't get injured? Would of easily built that outside game by now
There were a few games this year we seen a real good balance of inside/ outside. Every coach would love to have Rowell in their side just so tough and team first approach. Anderson probably favourite for the b&f but wouldn't surprise if Rowell goes very close.

There were a few games this year we seen a real good balance of inside/ outside. Every coach would love to have Rowell in their side just so tough and team first approach. Anderson probably favourite for the b&f but wouldn't surprise if Rowell goes very close.
Would be nice if they tied, Powell top 3, Ballard & Luko top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back