Autopsy Round 14 vs Carlton Blues @ Melbourne Cricket Ground - 18/06/23 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Calling all members of our Vic Army...

Are You Ready Mma GIF by BRAVE Combat Federation

Gonna be a pretty strong squad for this game all refreshed to go.

Just can't keep giving the opposition a head start

Alex Davies aint Humphrey
Dew probably won't change a winning team but you wonder how long he gets
He gets his 10-15 possessions a game but you wonder whether he's really impacting
He got better as the game went on, but boy he was frustrating early. Just too hesitant to release the ball and gets done for holding over and over.

Davies will get there imo. He is a good rotation long term but will never be a megastar.
True
I think there's a madness in professional sport where we discard perfectly serviceable players in the hope the next pick 12 will be Bontempelli
eg Fiorini will never be a star but he fills a role
Hopefully Davies can do the same

True
I think there's a madness in professional sport where we discard perfectly serviceable players in the hope the next pick 12 will be Bontempelli
eg Fiorini will never be a star but he fills a role
Hopefully Davies can do the same

You need these types otherwise the salary cap would explode. I do think soon our 5th and 6th string mids will be as good as some clubs 2-4th.

He got better as the game went on, but boy he was frustrating early. Just too hesitant to release the ball and gets done for holding over and over.
Some would look at this trait as a negative but i think it's what the coaches want from our midfielders.

Anderson does it the most, holding onto the ball as long as he can so he can release to our player, Humphrey definitely doing it early which is amazing with his body strength.

I don't mind the holding the balls, yes its frustrating but its better than those blind snap kicks out of defence that happened early in the game.

Davies is definitely a slow grind, maybe if he could add more scoreboard and/or tackling pressure it may be worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at Alex Davies Stats, nice little pattern happening for his tackles

0,6,3,6,3,6,3,...6?

The really tall and really athletic forwards tend to trouble us.

Again, win the middle and win the game.

The really tall and really athletic forwards tend to trouble us.

Again, win the middle and win the game.
I don't rate Carlton's midfield one bit
Of course they get the Carlton +50% Melbourne Media Mafia rating but they are average
They have Silvagni rotating through there (when he's picked) for God's sake
He's like a B grade version of Jack Bowes who couldn't get a gig with us anywhere

Of course they get the Carlton +50% Melbourne Media Mafia rating but they are average
He's like a B grade version of Jack Bowes who couldn't get a gig with us anywhere
Yeah I saw a bit of their game this week.
Cerra was getting a bunch of it.. but just didn't look like he knew what to do when he did.

Their team is poo

Cripps - too slow, Rowell will carve him up
Cerra - the only ball user they like to give it to him but he doesnt have an elite kick
Walsh - Seagull to the max, absolutely no damage at all
Kennedy - Playing half back, playing full forward can't find a spot for this beast
Hewett - who knows?
E Curnow - literally why is he even playing these days?

Tag Saad with Holman and they are toast

Their team is poo

Cripps - too slow, Rowell will carve him up
Cerra - the only ball user they like to give it to him but he doesnt have an elite kick
Walsh - Seagull to the max, absolutely no damage at all
Kennedy - Playing half back, playing full forward can't find a spot for this beast
Hewett - who knows?
E Curnow - literally why is he even playing these days?

Tag Saad with Holman and they are toast
It comes down to their forwards too. Wouldn’t surprise me if Curnow and MacKay kicked real straight against us for the first time all season.

Their midfield is ok, but down on form. We may have an edge with contested ball, but could get hurt on the outside. MCG is a big ground and we don’t like to play wingers who can cover the ground.

It’s certainly no walkover. Carlton should be playing better than they are, and we can’t give them a reason to play up.

It comes down to their forwards too. Wouldn’t surprise me if Curnow and MacKay kicked real straight against us for the first time all season.

Their midfield is ok, but down on form. We may have an edge with contested ball, but could get hurt on the outside. MCG is a big ground and we don’t like to play wingers who can cover the ground.

It’s certainly no walkover. Carlton should be playing better than they are, and we can’t give them a reason to play up.
Consider bringing Ellis back?
Probably played 75 or more games on the MCG.

Obviously can play the wing role.
Maybe farrar makes way?

Carlton don’t have many agile mid sized forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back