Review Round 21 vs Adelaide Crows @ Adelaide Oval - 05/08/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we weren’t that bad early on but the delivery inside 50 didn’t allow the forwards to take advantage of their direct opponents. Adelaide just came out scorching. We don’t have that kind of gear in us.

Worked our way into the game well, that fight back showed some heart.

Other teams just far smarter with the umpires. Whilst they’re doing the things that get you free kicks and 50s (ie embellishing contact at the right times) we’re doing the dumb things (ie running into them at the wrong time - see rosas/hinge and collins/Walker) neither of them are actually a late aggressive hit - but it’s just unnecessary and the smart players take advantage of it.

I also get frustrated that rowell and anderson do not give a quick ‘handball’ like all other teams at times, but it’s clearly what they’ve been taught to try drive through contact and get to the outside. They just need to continue to learn when to employ what strategy.

Andrew was great, really growing. Should be a permanent fixture in the team.

Flanders and Atkins become reliable.

I want Farrar to remain in the team, did some good things. Although probably needs to find a position.

Liked rosas game. When he got the ball he immediately ran forward to great effect. Must have been a directive after the u turns last week.

Need to find a crumbing small forward.

Levi been great the last 6 weeks or so - hope he goes on again next year.

King a bit disappointing. Not physically able to impose himself. Needs ongoing work in gym.

For the last few rounds I’d like to see

Uwland in for Powell.
Moyle get another go.
Give Levi a rest and bring Chol back in.
See if Budders has a game or two in him.
Bodhi did a hammy unfortunately. Out for the season.

For the last few rounds I’d like to see

Uwland in for Powell.
Moyle get another go.
Give Levi a rest and bring Chol back in.
See if Budders has a game or two in him.
Pretty sure Uwland was injured. He won’t play AFL this year, with a hamstring estimated 4 weeks. So either Long or Farrar. Budders, maybe. I’m in no rush there.

Could see Chol coming in, or maybe Moyle. Levi maybe could do with a rest, but Witts definitely should be managed more going into next season.

Broken record time but here goes:
HOLMAN - Yeah, he's a goer BUT doesn't impact the game anywhere near enough and only seems to go well when the whole side is going well. Just needs to be more damaging.
SWALLOW: The statue is being made as I write but Dave's too slow and again doesn't get enough of the ball. Broke away once early in 3rd quarter which is what we need more of. Alex Davies or Charlie Constable should get a few games to see whether they have a future or not. Dave, bless his socks, doesn't.
LEMMENS: Makes me nervous whenever he goes near the ball. Negating defender I guess but I'd love to see just a small bit of attacking flair.
ROSAS: There's no-one else (dreaming of Rankine here) so I guess we persevere until we find that someone else.
ROWELL: I'm a Rowell fan but really suggest he learn to get a quick handpass out every once in a while. Most teams now know he's going to get a lot of midfield ball, try and bulldoze his way through - and so they just wait to tackle him to the ground. Flanders is doing what Rowell should do - mix it up and become even deadlier than he can be.
HUMPHREY: Just play him as a mid, please.
DARCY: He's been OK this year but just can't see him as a keeper under a much tougher Dimmer reign.

I've said it for some years now - we seem to always be 6 or so players light in true AFL quality - hoping that Dimmer can remedy that very quickly. A few guys in the VFL need to be given a chance at this stage of the year - Chol, McLaughlin, Constable, Sharp (if only to improve his trade appeal) and a few others I'm sure.

Swans this week and they're on a roll and yet I always feel we have a chance against them in Sydney.

I think we were pretty comprehensively beaten all over the game, midfield was taken apart at the stoppage and had flash backs of the Carlton game with players not just getting the clearance but running out of congestion towards their goal, just cardinal sin type footy.

One team was switched on, one took a quarter to get going, and we lose by the quarter time margin. Not the first time crows start well at home and not the first time we respond to tackling pressure with, "excuse me can you please stop it, I don't like it"

Alot of bashing of Witts, he was even on hit outs and had 3 times the possessions of his opponent, want the worst game to pick on but I just think it's crucial we don't lose Moyle this year. Moyle, Mac and Read has got me salivating.

Rowell is more of a concern than Anderson to me, he is just very 1 dimensional and small to be sitting under Witts like that, He will be a great problem for Dimma to fix next year, gun coach, gun player, I think they'll make it work.

Mac was awesome, Powell was heartbreaking. He is so important to this team. I'd like to see Johnson get a go, or Buddas, but not Long.

I'd say Dawson got the better of Swallow, but I like the idea, mixing things up, King has done exceptionally well since taking over, I hope he continues to try things, I'm sure Dimma will appreciate having a few different looks, and the 2 can work together next year. As Sun Stormer suggested, I'd like to see Davies have a go in that spot.

Ellis, Holman, Macpherson, all average, and there were plenty of average games (Rowell, Anderson) but these 3 are on watch, Swallow in there as well. It's fascinating to me to see what changes Dimma is going to make to this group or is he just going to tweak? If given 5 or 6 years, he has the opportunity to come up with something of his own plan but the expectations of finals might force him into smaller, less disruptive changes to our group and how we play.

Josh Drummond shouldve revved up the midfield harder

Was having a look at Levi’s year as he’s been pretty good lately.

He gets clobbered in marking contests week in week out and has been awarded 9 free kicks for the year.

So strong in the air and doesn’t flop that he never ever gets those arm chop frees.

Josh Drummond is on notice once again.

David swallow saying he is proud of the boys…

This is what’s wrong with the club.

You shouldn’t be proud of any part of the game
You lost.

Fallen a further 4 pts away from making finals.
Should only be proud of anything if you get the chocolates.

Not much really changed post Dew. Another game where we had one very poor quarter. Game was essentially over after first quarter. Plenty of games like that this season. We are not able to produce consistent footy across the game except QClash.

Crows were harder, better in contest, pressure for most of the game.

A lot of bombing into forward line again.

Midfield is still issue. Basically, every second game we get exposed in there. When the opposition gets on top, we struggle to stop the momentum, adjust. Unless Witts carries something, he is a worry for me. He does not add too much around the ground and when he does not win hit outs we look average there.

Collins looks like he is back to better days.

Andrew was great.

Hollands was disappointing. I have some doubt he will become what we all hoped for.

Fingers crossed it's not as bad as it looked for Powell. Hard to believe it could be only ligaments according to coach King.

It will probably not happen, but I would play Moyle and Chol for the rest of season.

Let's see what Hardwick can do with this team after another pre-season. How many assistants will he bring with him? Can he attract A grader? What will our game plan look like? How will our forward line look like?
The midfield is a worry as you said, Rowell is sllloooowww, love him but it’s a weakness he needs to find a way around. If Flanders goes it will be a big blow as he is going to be a gun now he’s allowed to play freely without the fear of being dropped every second game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back