Autopsy Gather Round vs Fremantle @ Norwood Oval - 14/04/23 - 5:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling some are almost trying too hard, Collins, Miller, Rowell, Anderson, swallow a few that almost give so much effort it seems to affect their execution. Maybe why we are so high in contested stuff and not good outside of the contest. Lukosius can get criticism for going through the motions a bit but you can see he has a level head out there and is always thinking of ways to score, not just smash into opponents.

Sadly, this is usually the case with us imo rather than the opposite. The confidence degradation compounds the issue too. I also think we drank our own bath water with the positive press in preseason and when it didn't just happen early the team has been shell shocked.

We need a circuit breaker and sadly that probably looks like sacking Dew. If we don't drastically improve by mid season I think replacing him with Steven King or Rhyce Shaw is in order.

Are you aware we are ranked last in marks inside 50? What does that tell you?
As someone previously posted we are the lowest handballing team in the competition.
This is what Dew has them doing kicking long inside 50.
That doesn't work anymore. They need to link further forward with running /handballs and kick to space or a lot deeper inside 50.
As previously stated King and Chol etc are not Goal square gorillas.
The only person it remotely benefits is Casbolt.
The fact Dew is still doing this should tell you everything you need to know about his coaching.

Last edited:

OK, here it is.

Gold Coast Coaches Win-Loss Records​

Seas W D L T % W D L T % W D L T % PR GF
Home & AwayFinalsTotal
Dew, Stuart
2018-2023​
30​
1​
78​
109​
27.98​
30​
1​
78​
109​
27.98​
McKenna, Guy
2011-2014​
24​
64​
88​
27.27​
24​
64​
88​
27.27​
Eade, Rodney
2015-2017​
16​
1​
46​
63​
26.19​
16​
1​
46​
63​
26.19​
Solomon, Dean
2017​
3​
3​
0.00​
3​
3​
0.00​
[Top]
He got nearly double the amount of years to prove himself as the blokes below him and still has a nearly identical, horrendous W-L record.

Chol
Flanders
Long
Jeffrey
Off the top of my head those guys never look fully committed
Long is not an elite ball user, but he is supposed to be the player that is making ferocious tackles in the backline for us and getting stuck in at every opportunity. He hasn't even looked like competing at that level this year. Truly maddening for me, since I am a big fan of his and think he can be a great footballer if he didn't (gold) coast through games. Most of these players are just trotting around the ground and when the ball comes their way they pretend to go hard for it for half a second before letting their direct opponent take the ball and go screaming towards our goal. It can't be all the players' fault when it is this many. It's a leadership, coaching and culture issue.

Long is not an elite ball user, but he is supposed to be the player that is making ferocious tackles in the backline for us and getting stuck in at every opportunity. He hasn't even looked like competing at that level this year. Truly maddening for me, since I am a big fan of his and think he can be a great footballer if he didn't (gold) coast through games. Most of these players are just trotting around the ground and when the ball comes their way they pretend to go hard for it for half a second before letting their direct opponent take the ball and go screaming towards our goal. It can't be all the players' fault when it is this many. It's a leadership, coaching and culture issue.
He's been given a 4 year contract off the back of one game last year basically
Why would you want to buy in
No need to commit
On the other hand a guy like Levi Casboult basically rookied every year looks like he'd die for us every year
Unfortunately we have to deal with being beggars on the trade market
It's vicious cycle
Until we start winning we can't be a destination club

Last edited:
Sat next to his Dad against the Saints. Dmac went alright that night. I asked what he thought would happen when Budarick comes back and he seemed to think Budarick could move into the midfield.

I don't think anyone is allowed to play midfield except Miller, Anderson, Rowell based off Dew's gameplan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a circuit breaker and sadly that probably looks like sacking Dew. If we don't drastically improve by mid season I think replacing him with Steven King or Rhyce Shaw is in order.
Replacing a horror story with Steven King seems apt

Replacing a horror story with Steven King seems apt

Are we not a fan of him? He was the mid coach at the Dogs when they were killing it. We don't know if Dew is vetoing his concepts or not. Forgive me if I missed something that he's done to be in the sin bin though...

Are we not a fan of him? He was the mid coach at the Dogs when they were killing it. We don't know if Dew is vetoing his concepts or not. Forgive me if I missed something that he's done to be in the sin bin though...
It's funny when midfield plays well people credit midfield coach. When midfield struggles senior coach is responsible. Dew vetoing King's his great concepts - how long do you think King would stay? It's King working daily with midfield on their craft. Surely, he got main responsibility for midfield.

Yeah agree that line coaches have a lot more responsibility than years before. Head coach is more of a manager type role and game day moves.

These are all assumptions. I have seen many, many instances of head honchos ignoring the smart ideas of their subordinates and they remain in the role. Pretty sure King was keen to move to the GC more than anything too so he doesn't have another option.

Not clear cut guys.

No opinion either way just trying to make a whimsical comment to offset my rants

Hi Suns fans.

I think you stick fat with Dew and go easy on King.

Firstly, Dew is statistically still your best coach, despite the 1-4 start to this season.

Secondly, I see real endeavour and heart in the Suns performances. They have been in winning positions in at least two games but have managed to lose through a combination of missed opportunities and over anxiety. At no stage have I thought the team has turned up its toes . If Lukosious kicks for goal to his ability OR if Swallow nails that sitter, you romp it in against Freo

in hindsight your away games against both Essendon and StK have been pretty tough assignments

Thirdly, King is coming off an ACL so you have to be patient while he builds confidence and match fitness.

We've had both Rayner and Hipwood go down with the dreaded ACL over the last two seasons. Some of the impatient naysayers on our Board expected way too much of these two boys far too soon. Now Rayner is flying but it's taken into his second year after the knee reco to showcase his wares. Similarlly, Hipwood is just starting to bear fruits after a very lean start to this season.

Fourthly, take a look at the VFL ladder. The Suns, along with the Lions are undefeated after 4 Rounds. Suns have a percentage of 188.1% and beat the Cats by 107 in Round 2.

This surely indicates that there is serious depth in the club.

As the great Leigh Matthews once said

"things are never as good or bad as they seem"

It will turn around for your team but you guys have to keep believing and give them your unconditional support.

I firmly believe that positive energy from the supporters rubs off on the team.

North are hopeless

You will flog them

Last edited:
Hi Suns fans.

Firstly, Dew is statistically still your best coach, despite the 1-4 start to this season.

Secondly, I see real endeavour and heart in the Suns performances. They have been in winning positions in at least two games but have managed to lose through a combination of missed opportunities and over anxiety. At no stage have I thought the team has turned up its toes . If Lukosious kicks for goal to his ability OR if Swallow nails that sitter, you romp it in against Freo

in hindsight your away games against both Essendon and StK have been pretty tough assignments

Thirdly, King is coming off an ACL so you have to be patient while he builds confidence and match fitness.

We've had both Rayner and Hipwood go down with the dreaded ACL over the last two seasons. Some of the impatient naysayers on our Board expected way too much of these two boys far too soon. Now Rayner is flying but it's taken into his second year after the knee reco to showcase his wares. Similarlly, Hipwood is just starting to bear fruits after a very lean start to this season.

Fourthly, take a look at the VFL ladder. The Suns, along with the Lions are undefeated after 4 Rounds. Suns have a percentage of 188.1% and beat the Cats by 107 in Round 2.

It will turn around for your team but you guys have to keep believing and give them your unconditional support.

North are hopeless

You will flog them
I appreciate your positive outlook l really do.
I also have no doubt Dew would have been sacked 2 years ago if he was coaching Brisbane.

I also have no doubt Dew would have been sacked 2 years ago if he was coaching Brisbane.
True about the scenario if he was coaching Brisbane. Included also would be any club in the AFL. Maybe include any club in any competition in Australia.

If Dew was coaching Brisbane, he'd have some serious material to work with and wouldn't have the record he has with GC.

The role of the coach is nearly always overstated.

Well, that's what Leigh Matthews used to say

Hi Suns fans.

North are hopeless

You will flog them

What good is depth is they are played out of position in the 1s or don’t get a look in at all?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back