Preview Community Series vs GWS @ Manuka Oval - Thurs 29 Feb; 6:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said, it was crappy practice game from us and I am a bit flat from it but IMO, it's a bit premature to go all Cornes on our team as he did today on SEN. I am with King - give it 2 months of regular season and then evaluate. Obviously, work rate, contest has to go to another level in regular season. No excuse.

But until players execute a new plan automatically, we are probably screwed. You can see they are thinking about it, thinking what to do.

And yes, some selections make me question Dimma smarts (was it actually his assistants brought to Tigers when he was almost fired that made a difference?). We will find out this season.

When we do talk about Miller, IMO, he was probably best from our leaders. Not that it means a lot. At least he had crack in contest, tackled. Re-watching 1st QTR (BTW not too bad from us), yes, he had 2 early turnovers from trying to play on (probably our new plan to play fast) which I can live with.

If anybody set the tone it was vice-captain Collins with no effort on Riccardi in first 20s (with more bad efforts followed).
I think the issue is with new plan the players are thinking so hard about what the coach wants me to do, where I should be positioned etc they actually forget to play natural football. It's why when it clicks it all comes so easy for teams because they think less and do more. Wasn't long ago Collingwood were looking like a battler of a side then all of a sudden it started working for them, now they just roll out and do it week in week out.

I think the issue is with new plan the players are thinking so hard about what the coach wants me to do, where I should be positioned etc they actually forget to play natural football. It's why when it clicks it all comes so easy for teams because they think less and do more. Wasn't long ago Collingwood were looking like a battler of a side then all of a sudden it started working for them, now they just roll out and do it week in week out.
Lets take GWS and the Pies for a second. Even know I know they both have more of a record of being up, then down..
Old coach = bottom 4
New coach = new game plan == scratchy at first, pretty sure both lost a decent amount of games in the first half of the year in 2022 (for the pies) and 2023 (GWS)
Game plans arent implemented overnight, and it takes take time. But when it clicks, and I've no doubt it will for the suns, you'll see it. Just sometimes requires a little patience.
Think even Dimma said early on that it may take a little time to get going early on. And lets not panic, its a practice game. Wait til 4-5 games in and I expect there will be changes.

Its easy to go into bad habits, as you are learning something new. But they'll adjust, every week, every session they keep working on things and how they want to play.

Lets take GWS and the Pies for a second. Even know I know they both have more of a record of being up, then down..
Old coach = bottom 4
New coach = new game plan == scratchy at first, pretty sure both lost a decent amount of games in the first half of the year in 2022 (for the pies) and 2023 (GWS)
Game plans arent implemented overnight, and it takes take time. But when it clicks, and I've no doubt it will for the suns, you'll see it. Just sometimes requires a little patience.
Think even Dimma said early on that it may take a little time to get going early on. And lets not panic, its a practice game. Wait til 4-5 games in and I expect there will be changes.

Its easy to go into bad habits, as you are learning something new. But they'll adjust, every week, every session they keep working on things and how they want to play.
Was gonna post this exact thing, Jen2310, but I guess the missing factor is the the pies and giants had finals experience before a down year with a coach who’d gone on too long

Was gonna post this exact thing, Jen2310, but I guess the missing factor is the the pies and giants had finals experience before a down year with a coach who’d gone on too long
Bloody Orange crush, you do enjoy our suffering. You want us to get belted by Tigers. I saw your post. Traitor of interstate clubs solidarity 😂 I may have to put some bad spell on GWS (not really, I do enjoy watching your team).

BTW, it's not sausage anymore. We upgraded to meat tray.

Players and high-performance staff are on the hook this season, with any blooper moments commanding a cry of "meat tray".

They must then bring one in on Wednesday morning, complete with a receipt showing the prize's value of at least $100.

Players are then assigned an animal in an automated, computerised race and they cheer their charge home.

Yeah, Of course. Which is why I said, both sides have been more up than down. Just trying to point out what a new coach and game plan can do, especially good coach. At least for pies and GWS, we had no idea if Fly and Kingsley could coach at the time. But it is amazing what a new voice or multiple new voices, and the ability to be yourself can fuel players.. To enjoy and have fun.

Bloody Orange crush, you do enjoy our suffering. You want us to get belted by Tigers. I saw your post. Traitor of interstate clubs solidarity 😂

BTW, it's not sausage anymore. We upgraded to meat tray.
I’m sorry man …. Want you guys to reach the finals but the thought of Dimma losing the the tigers makes me simper in glee

Oh I hope not bottom 4
Our midfield alone will win us enough games I think to make us competitive
I see Luko and King making defenders heads spin this year but who's at their feet to feast off the table
Collo isnt a modern day A grade fullback.Too small.Too slow
Our only A grade defender is Ballard +/- a fit Powell
Most successful dynasties are built off solid defence and that we do not have and it appears Alex Sexton as a rebounding half back is the answer in the absence of Weller
Im confused. Our midfield is the reason our backline look so lost and useless.
Because the midfield ain’t running both ways.
No pressure what so ever as they kick into the forward 50
Got there pants pulled down by GWS VFL midfield after 1/4 time.

Collins finishing 2nd in the BF last year must mean he has some currency come game day!

Collins finishing 2nd in the BF last year must mean he has some currency come game day!
Historically, pre-season practice matches mean nothing. I stick to it until next Sat.

The only things bothering me right now is, with sellout crowd, will our boys be booed (most Tigers fans are super confident) or can Suns fans make up at least 50% of the crowd (12K)?

Broken record comments from me, a few changes for rnd one i would do.....

Ellis out > Rat in
Holman out > Rosas in
Machperson out > Swallow up fwd, Jeffry or Bodhi in
Mac Andrew I still prefer as a backman but still chop out in ruck

Fiorini stays for experience > potentially Clohesy down the track
even Fiorini out > Ainsworth Wing > Oea Fwd
Anything that gives us more speed and skill :thumbsu:
GWS made us look slow and ineffective.

Also well done Tom Berry. I’ve been critical of him before but he showed a bit yesterday.

Is it even remotely possible that Dimma didn’t want to show the game plan against the Giants, I know I’m clutching at straws here, but I want to believe we have a hidden process that’s So incredibly awesome that he wants to hide it until round one starts.

I know it’s complete BS and that we are just rubbish again, but I so want to believe

Couldn’t agree more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the last quarter and a half I missed, Fiorini actually had a decent game on the wing 19 touches, 7 marks and a couple of decent kicks (still not flash disposal).

Not a long term solution, but I reckon he can be serviceable off that small sample size.

Is it even remotely possible that Dimma didn’t want to show the game plan against the Giants, I know I’m clutching at straws here, but I want to believe we have a hidden process that’s So incredibly awesome that he wants to hide it until round one starts.

I know it’s complete BS and that we are just rubbish again, but I so want to believe
So do I because in two games I've not actually seen a Game Plan of any type!

After watching the last quarter and a half I missed, Fiorini actually had a decent game on the wing 19 touches, 7 marks and a couple of decent kicks (still not flash disposal).

Not a long term solution, but I reckon he can be serviceable off that small sample size.
We always seem to settle...

I’ve only had a chance to re watch the first half so far but one thing I have noticed being at the ground and watching on tv after the chain of handballs out of the back 50 the next kick down the line is is a high floater usually to a 2/3 on 1 contest and because it’s a high floater and player being outnumbered easily picked off.

Also majority of our players playing from behind their opponent
Defenders from behind just trying to spoil
Forward playing off shoulder or standing like a statue to be spoiled no lead up target

I’ll try watch the second half sometime today

Also don’t forget this was the result from the same game last year
2ec444297994fd0150b850f2895a2e64.jpg

I’ve only had a chance to re watch the first half so far but one thing I have noticed being at the ground and watching on tv after the chain of handballs out of the back 50 the next kick down the line is is a high floater usually to a 2/3 on 1 contest and because it’s a high floater and player being outnumbered easily picked off.

Also majority of our players playing from behind their opponent
Defenders from behind just trying to spoil
Forward playing off shoulder or standing like a statue to be spoiled no lead up target

I’ll try watch the second half sometime today
I re-watched the game.

It comes down to pressure, intensity. As Kingsley pointed out in the break after 1st QTR. "Suns dominated when our pressure dropped off. We learned our lesson".

In the 1st and last quarter when we had time, we could see better ball movement, better deliveries inside 50. Most of the time it was however scrimmage vs AFL work rate. Not even close.

A lot of dropping bombs on forwards heads most of the time with limited supply, pressure mostly non-existent.

Players seemed relaxed after the game.

I did notice Lukosius limping a bit in rooms. Hopefully, it's nothing.

Powell was very rusty.

Will Mac play in round 1 and where?

Will Graham play?

GWS is an awesome team with some good players still coming in. Even new kids fit the game plan, style, they are all fast, .... They could be peaking too early, haha.

Let's the real stuff begin. Last time when we had a sell out crowd, we failed miserably. Surely not again.

Last edited:
Just caught the game on AFL replay. Not a great outing against GWS, but pretty much what I expected. Sexton looked composed off half-back and made good decisions except the one big clanger (27 effective disposals). But Sexton wasn’t necessarily the dashing rebounder Hardwick said he was looking for with 1 bounce. One of the big holes in the list is small defenders, and the GWS mosquito fleet were feasting. Desperately need Will Powell to take that next step to take the burden off poor Lemmens. Mac Andrew was okay at stages, but I envision him as a defender, not a forward in the future. The GWS defence is legit scary, with Himmelberg carving us up.

The constants in life are death, taxes, and King and Lukosius taking turns being dominant and being ice cold. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them have a good game simultaneously.

Powell posted a story today on ig of his recovery stat. And was at almost 0% Pre season training into new dad duties taking its toll no doubt. Hopefully the missies lets him sleep in the spare bedroom on Friday night

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If anybody set the tone it was vice-captain Collins with no effort on Riccardi in first 20s
Can't say I agree with that. It wasn't effort, it was bad defensive timing. Still a concern, but less concerning than Collins failing to put in effort.

Powell posted a story today on ig of his recovery stat. And was at almost 0% Pre season training into new dad duties taking its toll no doubt. Hopefully the missies lets him sleep in the spare bedroom on Friday night

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I sleep straight through, like white noise

Can't say I agree with that. It wasn't effort, it was bad defensive timing. Still a concern, but less concerning than Collins failing to put in effort.

He needs to do less screaming and pointing at his team mates and concentrate on his opponent. Keefe tripped over his own feet and ended up on the ground and Collins still didn’t take the ball from him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back