Autopsy 2023 Scratch Match v Essendon @ Austworld Centre Oval (Thurs, 23 Feb, 4:00pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Few comments

Forwards - pretty inconspicuous really. Could see how much of a focus the forward 50 pressure was.
Jeffrey: Look dangerous every time he's near it, just doesn't get near it for kinda long periods
Berry: manic forward pressure, will fit in

Mids
Rowell: Involved quite a bit, looked relatively agile around the contest
Davies: Really good hands, looks big and quick. Looked too good for the B team
Flanders: nice see him kicking goals. was solid.
Humphrey: like the look of him, got involved, laid quite a few tackles - seemed to play mid more than forward, sometimes needs to get an earlier handball away
Hollands: Did alright but didn't really stand out like I thought he might
Oea: definitely bulked up - wouldn't be surprised to see him play a few games this year
Atkins: Pretty sure he was 0/6 kicks hitting a target. Absolute spud.
Moyle - did alright, long limbed, took a few nice marks

Backline - pretty ramshackle set up Ballard, Graham, Day, Macpherson, Constable, Long
Long:solid, didn't really make a mistake
Constable: got involved a bit running off halfback flank, didn't look out of place

Tall defenders: Ballard, Graham, Day looked a bit shaky to be honest (especially Day)
Uwland - solid, massive boot on him. Needs to work on fitness and agility I think - probably limited with his back pain last year
Johnston - very smooth
Pretty much agree with everything you’ve said. Jeffrey is best 22 all day long. Easily our most dangerous looking forward and such an impressive athlete.
First look at Bear live, he didn’t get much of the pill, but cracks in and looks a great size (a few more preseasons and he’s going to be a abull).
Forward pressure was great early.
Liked what I saw from Bodhi Uwland - good size for a small / medium defender and the hype around his boot is real. Just needs time to work his way back into it.
Wasn’t really happy with our intensity after the first two periods and we were very undisciplined / sloppy giving up far too many free kicks but it’s obviously just a preseason game and nothing can be gleaned from that end score. One thing though is Essendon are going to be very difficult to beat in Round Two down there. We’ll get beaten again if we let them get even one run on.

Yeah, very odd.

He’s currently listed as 43 on the Sun’s app. Just not sure why he wasn’t wearing it today.

Pretty sure the app is up to date too, as Long was wearing 22, which he is listed as.
The bombers have their website updated with their new photos and numbers. I'm sure we're not far behind. Hate seeing a blank picture for some players

The reserves got cut short so not much game time. Looked alright though, hopefully he gets a bit of game time next week so we can have a look at him.
Cheers … I’m sad we cut him and I think he can give you something as a lockdown defender… getting rid of the ball is his weakness

Does sexton get a spot in the 22?

He’s still got it just whether he has a spot in the team
His snaps are beautiful to watch. Wouldn’t be mad if he was, can understand why he is not (especially if we go 4 talls).

My biggest take away is we have genuine depth in the midfield, depth in forwards, I'm not worried about that. Our back lines we have Collins and Ballard, Ballard needs to stop the brain fart goals this season. I was really impressed by Graham, I thought he was good. I thought Long looked really good, Johnston impressed me, but I'd be happy for him to get really confident playing this season in the vfl. Farrar I love, he does so much right, he is like a robot, so disciplined, considering how he came into the afl, he impresses me so much. Tom Berry plays the same as Farrar, I could see Dew squeezing him into a back pocket if need be. Sharp looked good I thought, he's another one they might squeeze back there (because our midfield depth is STACKED) I wasn't sold on Constable, but early days. Uwland impressed, but same as Johnston, those 2 get going in the vfl. Then still got Weller, Lemmens and Powell and Andrew.

So can they gel? Can Dew get the forward mix right? It's all on his shoulders right now in my opinion, but now the vfl have had their run, we need synergy or it's going to be all this talent but no team and that is not the way Dew coaches his players.

Lloyd Johnstone looked composed down back for such a raw youngster

Will be a certain starter in a few years once his frame fills out
Totally agree, was the first I've seen of Johnstone but there is something there that makes you think wow this guy can play. Probably gonna take some time but really optimistic on his future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching the game now....if Mr Baldy is umpiring us then it is going to be hard for the Suns to win games... he must have the idea that the Suns don't deserve anything as he consistently screws us.
Ha said the same thing at the ground. I don’t know the end count, but I’m certain we were well on the wrong side of the ledger.

Yes I spent the time doing this.. and enjoyed it to.
Stats from 1st 3 periods.

View attachment 1615651

Not sure my definition of 'tackle' or 'effective disposal' is exactly as per champion data.. but you get the idea.
Mate! Outstanding stuff. Love seeing this kind of passion for our club.

So the top 5 in terms of possessions were Flanders (16), Rowell/Constable (15) and Anderson/Swallow (14). Definitely worth pointing out that Long had 13 disposals out of the backline and I definitely felt he got a lot of the ball so I'm not surprised but that disposal efficiency of 84.6% is particularly pleasing. Berry led the tackle count (4) and Chol + Flanders kicked the most goals with 2 each.

Yes I spent the time doing this.. and enjoyed it too.
Stats from 1st 3 periods.

View attachment 1615651

Not sure my definition of 'tackle' or 'effective disposal' is exactly as per champion data.. but you get the idea.
Good job, i had the note pad out but it was so bad i put it down.

Champion Data, record a tackle is when it effectively turns the ball over.
Eg. Dmac gets tackled but the ball goes to Graham = not a tackle.
Eg. Dmac gets tackled and the ball goes to Essendon player = Tackle

Basically any body contact while someone is disposing the footy and turns it over, it will count as a tackle

👏👏👏. Probably my biggest surprise was Flanders with so much of the ball. Other than his goals didn't notice him all that much.

Yeah, I thought the same when I watched it live. Lots of short handballs and kicks on the rewatch. Wouldn’t have had many metres gained. One of my favourite bits of play came in the 3rd period. Essendon kicked it long down the line, ball got spoiled and it fell into a patch of open turf with 6 players within 5-10m. Flanders reacts, puts on a burst of speed to get there first, clean loose ball get - quick hands to Davies then to holman then to rowell who gets a kick away - all in tight quarters. Didn’t amount to anything but that reaction, burst of speed and most importantly the authority to think this is my ball was different to last year for sure.

Mate! Outstanding stuff. Love seeing this kind of passion for our club.

So the top 5 in terms of possessions were Flanders (16), Rowell/Constable (15) and Anderson/Swallow (14). Definitely worth pointing out that Long had 13 disposals out of the backline and I definitely felt he got a lot of the ball so I'm not surprised but that disposal efficiency of 84.6% is particularly pleasing. Berry led the tackle count (4) and Chol + Flanders kicked the most goals with 2 each.
Long also had the most intercept possessions. I thought he looked very assured (other than the turnover which directly lead to their first goal).
He and constable both took a few kick outs 3-4 each which boosted their stats.
Good job, i had the note pad out but it was so bad i put it down.

Champion Data, record a tackle is when it effectively turns the ball over.
Eg. Dmac gets tackled but the ball goes to Graham = not a tackle.
Eg. Dmac gets tackled and the ball goes to Essendon player = Tackle

Basically any body contact while someone is disposing the footy and turns it over, it will count as a tackle
I would definitely be off then but probably not that much. I just recorded if they got completely wrapped up. Or if they were tackled knocking the ball out.

Last edited:
agreed.
Flanders looked clean and with good burst around the ball, and did not do anything stupid.
Big ticks compared to this time last year, especially that burst. That was supposed to be a strength of his at draft time, and now it seems to be AFL ready.

Those stats also show how useful Hollands can be on the outside. Runs hard in every direction, gets into space, doesn't seem to get sucked into the ball b/c his job is to stay outside, competes when required, hits open targets, and does not do anything stupid. Can also kick goals. That is an A grade winger profile. I know he moved into the midfield in period 4 and can perform in there but A grade wings are hard to find.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back