Autopsy Round 17 vs Port Adelaide Power @ Oval of Adelaide - 08/07/23 - 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The final score flattered us.
A 9 goal to 1 Third quarter is all we need to know. Once again Dew has shown us his gameplan and tactics have absolutely no idea to arrest an opposition run on.
The longer Dew stays on the more damage he will do to this group.

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I disagree with the final score flattering us. We never came out in the third quarter and weren’t switched on. That certainty comes down to coaching and preparation.
But the first half you could feel it at the ground, the boys had their intensity up and were having a real crack.

In the end one quarter lost us the game.

I disagree with the final score flattering us. We never came out in the third quarter and weren’t switched on. That certainty comes down to coaching and preparation.
But the first half you could feel it at the ground, the boys had their intensity up and were having a real crack.

In the end one quarter lost us the game.
PA and the whole competition know they play one quarter against us and it's a ten goal turn around and game over.
It's appallingly predictable. And that's is on coaching structure.

PA and the whole competition know they play one quarter against us and it's a ten goal turn around and game over.
It's appallingly predictable. And that's is on coaching structure.

not entirely.
It's not like the half dozen coaches were on the field - ownership goes on leadership in the middle of the ground. The whole group owns the third quarter, but everyone likes a scapegoat and single 1 person to blame i.e. Dew.

What did Rowell do in the 3rd quarter? Witts? Swallow? Fiorini? Miller? We were nonexistent in the 3rd qtr. Ando was the only one that got his hand on the ball a couple of times.
We were winning the 1st half because our good players were playing alright, when none of our players in the midfield could get the ball, or TACKLE in 3rd qtr shock horror we lost the game and exposed the depth on field to those half a dozen above. The tank is empty and drops off if those 6 players aren't at least breaking even in their positions. Dew has nothing to do with that if you can't even win your position 1v1 and have that lapse of competitiveness for 20-25minutes.

I didn't watch the game so can't buy into anything about the game itself, but would like to know....

Did Port change the way they played after 1/2 time?

It's my opinion that if they did, and we didn't respond accordingly......then that's on the Coaching group

If they didn't, and continued in the same fashion, then that's on the players...

not entirely.
It's not like the half dozen coaches were on the field - ownership goes on leadership in the middle of the ground. The whole group owns the third quarter, but everyone likes a scapegoat and single 1 person to blame i.e. Dew.

What did Rowell do in the 3rd quarter? Witts? Swallow? Fiorini? Miller? We were nonexistent in the 3rd qtr. Ando was the only one that got his hand on the ball a couple of times.
We were winning the 1st half because our good players were playing alright, when none of our players in the midfield could get the ball, or TACKLE in 3rd qtr shock horror we lost the game and exposed the depth on field to those half a dozen above. The tank is empty and drops off if those 6 players aren't at least breaking even in their positions. Dew has nothing to do with that if you can't even win your position 1v1 and have that lapse of competitiveness for 20-25minutes.
Exactly, ultimately the blame and responsibility ends up with Dew (makes sense when it's his year 6) despite other coaches roles/input, players able to adjust on the field and so on. I could see coach King talking to Rowell after being tagged with no difference. Coaches can tell players what to do but in the end it's up to them to adjust and implement changes on the field as a team. But if opposition get on top in contest and in the middle the team is in trouble.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the game so can't buy into anything about the game itself, but would like to know....

Did Port change the way they played after 1/2 time?

It's my opinion that if they did, and we didn't respond accordingly......then that's on the Coaching group

If they didn't, and continued in the same fashion, then that's on the players...
IMO, in 3rd Port lifted and started to dominate in contest, winning 1v1. Port confidence is sky high.

not entirely.

I mostly agree. The problem is our game-plan relies on winning it out of the middle. See what we did to Crows: essentially one quarter of domination by us out of the middle and the game was done.

Well, Port did that to us, just as a few teams have. It just feels like if they shut down Rowell or minimise Witts influence, we basically lose, as it’s just Anderson running around and we have no impact on the game, becoming witches hats. So we often see one bad quarter (sometimes more…)

Most teams have the same desire to win the middle, obviously, but it is our one strength. Our backs rely on midfield pressure to intercept, as they lose 1v1s regularly due to being undersized or inexperienced. Our forwards rely on dominance, as they need repeat bites at the cherry to do something.

This issue is compounded by our complete and utter inability to consistently do anything remotely effective when going forward.

Most of our stats were even, except inside 50s…

Exactly, ultimately the blame and responsibility ends up with Dew (makes sense when it's his year 6) despite other coaches roles/input, players able to adjust on the field and so on. I could see coach King talking to Rowell after being tagged with no difference. Coaches can tell players what to do but in the end it's up to them to adjust and implement changes on the field as a team. But if opposition get on top in contest and in the middle the team is in trouble.

It's on Dew. If the game plan is so inflexible based on what we see out on the field, either he is coaching it or allowing it to happen.

I mostly agree. The problem is our game-plan relies on winning it out of the middle. See what we did to Crows: essentially one quarter of domination by us out of the middle and the game was done.

Well, Port did that to us, just as a few teams have. It just feels like if they shut down Rowell or minimise Witts influence, we basically lose, as it’s just Anderson running around and we have no impact on the game, becoming witches hats. So we often see one bad quarter (sometimes more…)

Most teams have the same desire to win the middle, obviously, but it is our one strength. Our backs rely on midfield pressure to intercept, as they lose 1v1s regularly due to being undersized or inexperienced. Our forwards rely on dominance, as they need repeat bites at the cherry to do something.

This issue is compounded by our complete and utter inability to consistently do anything remotely effective when going forward.

Most of our stats were even, except inside 50s…
That's because players are sucked into contested wrestle ball from Dew's 2016 Swans gameplan so there is noone to link up and make space forward of the ball as such fwds get long bomb hail Mary entry's only.
He's so easy to coach against.

not entirely.

I may be wrong but Rowell being misused imo he’s trying to play the role greenwood was playing which isn’t suited to. It works on the easier teams when he can get the clearances but the top teams gets beaten more often than not
Davies was supposed to become the hugh replacement but hasn’t worked

I may be wrong but Rowell being misused imo he’s trying to play the role greenwood was playing which isn’t suited to. It works on the easier teams when he can get the clearances but the top teams gets beaten more often than not
Davies was supposed to become the hugh replacement but hasn’t worked
Davies is going to be a good player he's just turned 21.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's because players are sucked into contested wrestle ball from Dew's 2016 Swans gameplan so there is noone to link up and make space forward of the ball as such fwds get long bomb hail Mary entry's only.
He's so easy to coach against.

100%, thé Swans game plan is outdated and more importantly was based on grunt players working there hearts out

We have the cream of multiple drafts in our side, gun jnrs that know how to get the ball but are not allowed to play free flowing football, instead they are crucified by an old gameplan and a coach that can’t change and plays favourites

100%, thé Swans game plan is outdated and more importantly was based on grunt players working there hearts out

We have the cream of multiple drafts in our side, gun jnrs that know how to get the ball but are not allowed to play free flowing football, instead they are crucified by an old gameplan and a coach that can’t change and plays favourites
And that gameplan as you said relies on hard bodied grunt players. It's extremely hard to maintain for 4 quarters hence we routinely get blown away in a quarter of football.

Some takeaways from that 3rd quarter and the game as a whole: Port Adelaide Power vs Gold Coast Suns Review – Another single quarter collapse

1) Defence cannot withstand pressure from good sides, Weller belongs on the wing. Lemmens is missing. Dropping Collins is not on the cards
2) Coach-killing errors were torture to watch - players with games under their belt letting the side down. Still unreliable across the park. Still not looking well-drilled doesn't bode well for Dew
3) Swallow needs a Gunston/Rich style rest.
4) King worthy of the subbing on the day, fwd line had the chances to smash and grab a couple of goals in 3Q but couldn't blunt the gash in the scoreline when the chances came.

This was a very typical Suns performance ,good for periods of the game horrid for others.
In the end an expected loss.
Honest truth this team is not good enough at this point to play finals.
We just have to many soft areas.
Defence tries hard but lacks height and disposal by foot is appalling.
Midfield (wings included) tries hard but is one paced with no outside speed.
Forwards too many hit and miss players ,lack of a quality small is hurting us badly.
It is embarrassing that our most dangerous forward is lowly paid reject i Levi Casboult,who gives his heart and soul always.
Major issue facing the club right now is Ben King both now and in the future.
At present he is a liabilty , dropping too many marks ,not competing in the air and worst of all applying no pressure
once the ball hits the ground ,8 tackles in 16 games not good enough.
Decision going forward if he wants to stay will demand $800000 plus for x amount of years
Question is he worth it ?? Im honestly not sure.
Im not against giving him a run at CHB to try and get a bit of confidence back in his game
We have nothing to lose.
Casboult needs to stay permanently forward not rucking.
Bring Chol in play FF and chop out in ruck and hope he pulls his finger out.
Time to give some of the younger players a go for the rest of the season.
One brght light from the weekend was the ALLIES carnival victory and our academy lads doing well.
There our future hope.
Have a Good week all Suns supporters.

This was a very typical Suns performance ,good for periods of the game horrid for others.
In the end an expected loss.
Honest truth this team is not good enough at this point to play finals.
We just have to many soft areas.
Defence tries hard but lacks height and disposal by foot is appalling.
Midfield (wings included) tries hard but is one paced with no outside speed.
Forwards too many hit and miss players ,lack of a quality small is hurting us badly.
It is embarrassing that our most dangerous forward is lowly paid reject i Levi Casboult,who gives his heart and soul always.
Major issue facing the club right now is Ben King both now and in the future.
At present he is a liabilty , dropping too many marks ,not competing in the air and worst of all applying no pressure
once the ball hits the ground ,8 tackles in 16 games not good enough.
Decision going forward if he wants to stay will demand $800000 plus for x amount of years
Question is he worth it ?? Im honestly not sure.
Im not against giving him a run at CHB to try and get a bit of confidence back in his game
We have nothing to lose.
Casboult needs to stay permanently forward not rucking.
Bring Chol in play FF and chop out in ruck and hope he pulls his finger out.
Time to give some of the younger players a go for the rest of the season.
One brght light from the weekend was the ALLIES carnival victory and our academy lads doing well.
There our future hope.
Have a Good week all Suns supporters.
IMO, way too harsh on Ben King. Yes, Ben was not up to it against Port and Magpies (no player was up to it against Magpies except possibly 2-3) but he was very good before bye and was building nicely after coming back from ACL and he did chase and put pressure on defenders. 33 goals before bye (I believe) is pretty good effort to me.

Why his performance dropped, I have no idea. He could be sore, have niggles, lost confidence, etc. Something to do with a team performance possibly too.

On a side note, KPF Hipwood was very ordinary last year in his first year coming back from his ACL. This year he improved significantly. Rayner the same story.

Also, I could make the same case e.g. for Witts after bye. Actually, I could make a case for most players after bye.

Last edited:
He lost some clear 1 on 1s against defenders <190cm on Saturday night. He was terrible against Carlton too. Not writing him off but its a worry that we may be negotiating a mega deal for a player who may not be all that. If chol has 3 poor performances we wonder why we recruited him and paid him 400k

He’s on track to kick 40+ on return from an ACL and has kicked 122 goals in his first 69 games despite playing in some sh*t teams as a skinny developing tall.

I don’t think you can question whether he he is a good player or not.

His confidence is absolutely through the floor though and we have never given him a gameplan that utilises his strengths (we somehow even kick it to his opponents advantage when it’s a long bomb on his head). He’s not a contested beast and while he needs to do better providing a contest, we are just wasting him asking him to just spend all game making a contest in an overcrowded forward line.

After watching the Collingwood game I fully believe he would kick 60 as the focal point of their offence as the deepest forward running back into an open 50.

Jon ralph reporting King is carrying a niggle( makes sense) but club is backing him to respond, expect him to sign for a further 2 years over summer to get him to free agency at about $1 million per year. Happy to keep him hopefully he earns his dough though as it's a fair whack of salary cap.

Jon ralph reporting King is carrying a niggle( makes sense) but club is backing him to respond, expect him to sign for a further 2 years over summer to get him to free agency at about $1 million per year. Happy to keep him hopefully he earns his dough though as it's a fair whack of salary cap.
His work rate is appalling for a mil per season, yes the game plan isn't working but a lightning fast key forward at 200cm who waves his arms encouraging the long bomb, it's hard to watch sometimes

On Nokia C2 2nd Edition using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back