Autopsy Round 16 vs Collingwood Magpies @ The Bank - 01/07/23 - 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we at least put Humphrey in the middle
Humphrey wins rising star based off midfield performance… dew puts him as far away from the ball as he can all night. Enough said.

Atkins was actually pretty good when he came on, should have started on the field in place of Ace.

Our gameplan is rubbish. In any heated game it doesnt stack up. At all. Put me in the Dew needs to go 100% camp.

Most dissapointed ive been about a hone game for a long time. 1st time ive left before full time for 12 years.

We are way past new coach o’clock
Thanks Dewy for trying
But losing Rankine and gambling the house on an outdated Swans 2016 game plan knifed you in the end

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
From ESPN and this was before last nights disaster.

This week, Rohan Connolly and Jake Michaels debate whether Stuart Dew should coach the Suns beyond 2023 or if the club should make a call to Damien Hardwick.

Jake Michaels: I was quite strong on this topic earlier in the year and I've got to say my opinion remains unwavered; Stuart Dew's time coaching the Suns is over. At least it should be, sometime soon.

Dew has been given the three things every coach craves: time, talent (yes, there's now talent on the list) and a released pressure gauge. The Suns simply haven't delivered. Truth be told, the club hasn't even sniffed even slight success. Fair or not, Dew's the man who must shoulder the bulk of the blame.

I trotted this remarkable statistic out back in April and it remains true after Round 14 - of the 87 coaches in V/AFL history to have coached 100+ games, Dew has the worst winning percentage, at 30.08%. He's never coached a winning season. He's never gone into the last month of a season with a legitimate chance of playing finals.

I understand the Suns are off-Broadway, so to speak, but it's baffling how he's come under almost no scrutiny during his six-year coaching tenure. Perhaps it's the lack of expectation, but at some point you are no longer an 'expansion team' -- the Suns have been in the league for 13 years now -- and you need to start winning.

The worst thing you can be in this sport is be a middling team. Going into the game against Carlton on Sunday, the Suns were the epitome of a middling team. Dew's side had a record of 6-6 and a percentage of exactly 100. Not good enough to play finals and not bad enough to receive a high-end draft selection.

Dew may well have coaching success in the future, but the Suns have to part ways now and start fresh while the vast majority of the club's talent has more tomorrows than yesterdays. If I were Mark Evans, I'd be getting on the phone to Damien Hardwick quick smart.

Sent from my CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot of stats against dew are irrelevant, he came to the club when we were absolutely rock bottom and the first few years were always going to be painful. The talk of having so many high draft picks in the team also irrelevant when they are all playing together under 21 years of age. Dew has done what no other coach has been able to do and create a great culture and team environment where these young players who would all be getting vic clubs in their ear recommit to the club. Not saying dew won't or shouldn't be gone but if dimma holds the cup up in a couple years a whole lot of credit will need to go to dewy and what he has done in these tough times.

I know I’m like a broken record in this but who sacks Dew?
Bob East?
Mark Evans?
Give me a break
If the Southern Media wants to know why things don’t change at the GC it’s because all the jobs are sinecures
The Board is a community rainbow project that appears to have been designed to not be accountable but on the other hand quite powerless
I am a little bit tinfoil hat by nature but I’d wager that is exactly how the AFL wants it
Carlton Essendon Collingwood all have Board accountability
There is no-one strong enough in our organisation to tap non performing shoulders when they need to

A lot of stats against dew are irrelevant, he came to the club when we were absolutely rock bottom and the first few years were always going to be painful. The talk of having so many high draft picks in the team also irrelevant when they are all playing together under 21 years of age. Dew has done what no other coach has been able to do and create a great culture and team environment where these young players who would all be getting vic clubs in their ear recommit to the club. Not saying dew won't or shouldn't be gone but if dimma holds the cup up in a couple years a whole lot of credit will need to go to dewy and what he has done in these tough times.

With all due respect what you’re claiming Dew should receive credit for is a 3 year to finals journey at most
We are well beyond accepting results like yesterday and Carlton 2 weeks ago
I think Darwin has been in retrospect a complete disaster for us in many ways
We are staring down the exact same post bye season we have sadly become used to

When the whips were cracking early doors, the current limits were exceeded and we were ejected for non-compliance with the competitive requirements of the situation.

Tbh, the only player who looked better than usual early in the game was Flanders. Clean with ball, some good handballs under the pump etc. The rest looked worse than usual until the game was cooked. And that is what does you in. Worse than usual gets you flogged.

The Pies have a number of role players who would probably struggle in other teams but here they all play their role really well and with great gusto and enthusiam.

Our role players roll over too easily and our good players are, too often, not good when it counts. And most of our good players are right in the think of the action in the middle of the ground where they can do something about it. I think that is at least 4 times this year (Swans, Saints, Blues and Pies) when our good players went missing early in a game and did not respond.

Some highlights.
Collins with ball in hand? Suspect that was a deliberate ploy by the Pies.
Rushing with ball in hand, missing targets, dropping marks? Perceived and real pressure got in their heads. Not good enough.
Dropped chest marks in D50 by Ellis and Long? Not good enough. There is a reason Ellis has been dropped this year and Long will go now as well.
Slow running forwards not able to slow down transition? Starts with intent and effort, and then and only then does the physical attributes of players matters. Looked like the blokes trying to work back hard are not quick enough for the Pies half-backs (we are not Pat Malone there), the blokes who are quick enough were either out of position or slow to react.

What to do?
I think the best option is to avoid all media this week. Sticking your head in the sand is a viable option when the world is going to hell in a handbasket. And, tbf, there is a lot worse going on at the moment. Have you seen the price of coffee?

What to do?
I think the best option is to avoid all media this week. Sticking your head in the sand is a viable option when the world is going to hell in a handbasket. And, tbf, there is a lot worse going on at the moment. Have you seen the price of coffee?
When we are getting sliced and diced all I can think of is Barrett's smug I told you so face
It hurts more because it's true

Last night was extremely disappointing. We didn’t come to play and take it up to Collingwood. They are top of the ladder for a reason but I thought we would at least challenge them not lose by 70 odd points on our own turf.

I’ve been a big supporter of Dew but I’m starting to sway my opinion. There has been great improvements under Dew but we need to see a finals appearance as results. He is our longest serving coach and has had time to deliver a gameplan and whole of club reset. One thing that could work in his favour is former Swan, Kurt Tippett being on the board. There is an ally that could stick up for him. One big reason why I’ve been supporting Dew is that the players love him. There is a growing strong culture amongst the playing group with Dew and if we were to give him the flick we’d better hope the next coach is able to create this culture and have the players play for him/her. I guess though it’s up to the players - if they love Dew let’s play for him and put results on the park. If we happen to get a major scalp against Port or Brisbane in the next few weeks maybe we are back on track? I don’t think we need to sack him right this moment. Let’s give him to the rest of the season to deliver and if we fall away completely then there is warrant in parting ways. We are still in contention for finals. Our season isn’t over yet. Nothing will change whether we sacked him now or end of season in regards to getting someone like Dimma or another senior/experienced coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was extremely disappointing. We didn’t come to play and take it up to Collingwood. They are top of the ladder for a reason but I thought we would at least challenge them not lose by 70 odd points on our own turf.

I’ve been a big supporter of Dew but I’m starting to sway my opinion. There has been great improvements under Dew but we need to see a finals appearance as results. He is our longest serving coach and has had time to deliver a gameplan and whole of club reset. One thing that could work in his favour is former Swan, Kurt Tippett being on the board. There is an ally that could stick up for him. One big reason why I’ve been supporting Dew is that the players love him. There is a growing strong culture amongst the playing group with Dew and if we were to give him the flick we’d better hope the next coach is able to create this culture and have the players play for him/her. I guess though it’s up to the players - if they love Dew let’s play for him and put results on the park. If we happen to get a major scalp against Port or Brisbane in the next few weeks maybe we are back on track? I don’t think we need to sack him right this moment. Let’s give him to the rest of the season to deliver and if we fall away completely then there is warrant in parting ways. We are still in contention for finals. Our season isn’t over yet. Nothing will change whether we sacked him now or end of season in regards to getting someone like Dimma or another senior/experienced coach.
We're just toooo nice! I'd rather they be scared shi.... of the coach but want to die for him out there. The gane is tame enough as it is - we take it to an entirely higher level of timidity. Dimma can't come quick enough.

Will Stuey have the balls this week to drop a few big names?

Eg Witts, Luko and Swallow were all frightful in both the Carlton and Collingwood games.

You lose these big games by big margins when your senior players don't perform. And there's no shortage of pressure coming from the VFL team.

Did Flanders or Humphrey even do any midfielding last night? Cant even remember seeing them
going by the heat map Flanders did, it was mid and forward. 27 disposals, 14 contested, 4 clearances. 3rd most pressure acts.

We're just toooo nice! I'd rather they be scared shi.... of the coach but want to die for him out there. The gane is tame enough as it is - we take it to an entirely higher level of timidity. Dimma can't come quick enough.
Exactly and I'll ask everyone one very important question.
Who do you think will attract players to the club. S. Dew or a three time premiship coach.
Come on just get it over with its becoming painful.
But just like Iva l've no confidence these corporate robots running the Club will do what needs to be done.

l've no confidence these corporate robots running the Club will do what needs to be done.

The groundwork has been laid this year though. Don't think a sacking would be a hard decision now, it would be expected. Not even the players would be surprised. Last year was the time for a hard call.

The fact there is a 'clean' upgrade waiting makes it easier. Or two options if Port somehow fumble the bag.

What can you say after such a demoralizing loss.
Two weeks ago I thought there was a bright light at the end of the tunnel,now realise it was just some one holding a match.
Big crowd , big occasion great conditions against a powerful opponent and unfortunately we failed miserably.
Full marks too Collingwood who were superb.
But seriously we were pathetic,the game was all over after 10 minutes thats how poor we were.
Reality the 22 who took the field yesterday is not good enough to play finals football.
The TEAM
Rosas and Oea at this stage not even close to AFL standard.
Ellis ,Swallow Casboult there best football has past them by.
Long MacPherson Collins Fiorini Holman Atkins all honest but all lack overall class.
Lack of backup ruck for Witts and no quality small forwards limits our chances of beating good sides.
How we overcome these issues dont honestly no.
Game plan is horrid . No run no carry no dare.
Finals chances are over now need to find out if any of the VfL players can assist us going forward in the future.
Sun is out going for a long walk with the grandsons to get my mind of that performance.
At least the cricket looking OK

Who do you think will attract players to the club. S. Dew or a three time premiship coach.
But just like Iva l've no confidence these corporate robots running the Club will do what needs to be done.

It seems like most people here believe Harwick is a saviour. I hope you're correct. I still remember when Hardwick was almost fired and only after being surrounded by good assistant coaches the team started to deliver. It's a team effort.

Personally, I don't like Hardwick personality and I can't see him fitting GC community small environment. I will always support Suns but I would have hard time to support Hardwick and would probably become a non-member and just support from side-line.

Watching Clarko and Lyon career at the moment, no guarantee that successful coaches can turn it around 2nd/3rd time. Interestingly, at the moment Ratten seems to be doing a better job than Clarko before his break and Lyons Saints look as average right now as under Ratten last year if not worse.

Someone like Kingsley would be my preferred choice if Dew goes which looks increasingly likely. One more effort like yesterday or fade out will probably do.

AFL control and effectively run Suns. They will decide.

Last edited:
Game plan is horrid . No run no carry no dare.

One thing is guaranteed especially against Collingwood. If you chip the ball around the backline slow it’s just giving them time to set up forward of the ball and they’ll just wait for you to turn it over and slice you up straight through the middle with fast ball movement they’re never going to stop and chip it around they play fast high risk and reward style of play

One thing is guaranteed especially against Collingwood. If you chip the ball around the backline slow it’s just giving them time to set up forward of the ball and they’ll just wait for you to turn it over and slice you up straight through the middle with fast ball movement they’re never going to stop and chip it around they play fast high risk and reward style of play
Yeah, Magpies were more than happy to have ball in Collins hands. It was awful. But I would say ultimately, it was lack of effort, intensity across the board with again midfield getting badly exposed.

It’s a huge risk retaining Dew now
Important players coming out of contract
We need a high profile coach to encourage them to stay
No matter how much they “love” Stuey they will walk if we have the same season next year
I can’t imagine too many leaving if Hardwick was coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back