Review Opening Round vs Richmond @ Heritage Bank Stadium - 9th March 2024 - 3:20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

The Orange team will take first off us at this rate

So that's our fourth consecutive win over the Tigers and we now have an even 50/50 all time win-loss record against Richmond with 7 wins and 7 losses. We also get a chance to clinch a winning all time record against them at the MCG in round 24.

Biggest disappointment for me today was Bailey Humphrey.I hope he's not getting ahead of himself.I must admit to having some concerns when Dimma labelled him our Dusty.First round though.Long season
He is 19 and still trying to find his place. He will be fine, the sort of kid you keep pumping up and leave in the team. His natural talent will takeover at some stage. Feel like he is a little hard on himself at times.

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

And just another thing
Who needs a Rankine when you have a Rosas?
Rosas always had to be in the team. Just too fast and silky. Really liked that we were kicking a bit more into space, allowing him to take a few marks too. Not sure he’s a Rankine level threat, but definitely could be our most dangerous small on the list right now.

Was impressed with Berry too. Swap out Casboult for Walter and it is close to our best forward line at the moment. Good mix of speed, skill and pressure. Looked good (Richmond defence wasn’t great though, to be fair). Still can improve, but synergy looked better overall. King and Luko combined well in the same game! Yay!

Have a listen to the way Dimma signs off a win in his first press conference as our coach. "I'm gonna go have a milk."

Is a milk related statement going to become our new sign off for any win we have from here onwards? There's so many options - start the milk party 🥛, we're drinking from the bottle tonight 🍼, the milkmen have delivered, milkomania is running wild (Kurt Angle gif) etc.

Have a listen to the way Dimma signs off a win in his first press conference as our coach. "I'm gonna go have a milk."

Is a milk related statement going to become our new sign off for any win we have from here onwards? There's so many options - start the milk party 🥛, we're drinking from the bottle tonight 🍼, the milkmen have delivered, milkomania is running wild (Kurt Angle gif) etc.

Its just a social media stunt with Marmalade who do torpedos and drink chocolate milk after a div 12 game

Its just a social media stunt with Marmalade who do torpedos and drink chocolate milk after a div 12 game
Fair enough. If others don't want to adopt the milk celebrations after a win then I won't push it.

Heard it reported on Channel 7 tonight that our membership is up 25% this season. Not sure if that means 25% when compared to this time last year or if it's 25% overall, but if we keep that up for the whole season then we're on track to hit 30k members.

Fair enough. If others don't want to adopt the milk celebrations after a win then I won't push it.

Heard it reported on Channel 7 tonight that our membership is up 25% this season. Not sure if that means 25% when compared to this time last year or if it's 25% overall, but if we keep that up for the whole season then we're on track to hit 30k members.
If you want the context it is on our Instagram, we hosted them for some promotion it seems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching a bit of the replay, and it does seem like that 3rd quarter Richmond came out fighting for pride while we took our foot off the pedal to save ourselves for next week/the year ahead. Tigers just first to the ball, putting their head over it, while we were happy to stand back and just try to tackle. Still my biggest concern with this team is their willingness to let complacency set in and turn to garbage so easily, but it’s the opening round of a long season where anything can happen, so you take a 39 point win and see if we can learn from it.

On the plus side, I thought our defensive set up was overall fantastic. We were able to keep Powell lose a fair bit and we actually had defenders in a dangerous position to intercept rebounds. Powell and Budarick also controlled our ball movement well and watching live, it seemed like we were actually executing switches and bringing it back if it wasn’t on to keep possession instead of just blindly launching it which is new.

Also, was irrationally annoyed at Prestia acting like a knob all game. I know it’s been like 8 years since he left and his opponent was on a blinder, but thought he was better than that and it just looked like an old washed up has been picking on the new crop.

if the game was a sell out.. why were there so many empty seats everywhere? Looked 75% at best.

On Foxtel In that third qtr… all the crowd noise was pro Tigers.
Which was interesting and disapointung
I mean, it’s an afternoon game which means lots of sun on the side the camera faces. Plenty of people stand at the back of GA instead. We often move around during the game, especially if other friends are there in other areas.

Crowd was 22k. Highest non-Collingwood related crowd we’ve had.

Yes Tigers fans came alive in the 3rd. Didn’t hear a peep from them until then. Crowd noise follows the momentum of the game.

if the game was a sell out.. why were there so many empty seats everywhere? Looked 75% at best.

On Foxtel In that third qtr… all the crowd noise was pro Tigers.
Which was interesting and disapointung
Because members who own seats didn't show up. The game was a sell out, you couldn't walk up and buy a GA ticket. It's the members who own seats around the stadium who didn't show up that made it look less. 22k is pretty much full. We haven't touched those sort of numbers in a long long time.

On TV it sounded 50/50, which compared to previous years is a step forward.

Also saw on Twitter that the crowd was 98% full with the attendance compared to our capacity, so a very good effort all around.

Will be interested to see what the crowd is like next week. I'll be there, hopefully a decent crowd following a good win.

Kurt Angle Sport GIF by WWE

Watching a bit of the replay, and it does seem like that 3rd quarter Richmond came out fighting for pride while we took our foot off the pedal to save ourselves for next week/the year ahead. Tigers just first to the ball, putting their head over it, while we were happy to stand back and just try to tackle. Still my biggest concern with this team is their willingness to let complacency set in and turn to garbage so easily, but it’s the opening round of a long season where anything can happen, so you take a 39 point win and see if we can learn from it.

On the plus side, I thought our defensive set up was overall fantastic. We were able to keep Powell lose a fair bit and we actually had defenders in a dangerous position to intercept rebounds. Powell and Budarick also controlled our ball movement well and watching live, it seemed like we were actually executing switches and bringing it back if it wasn’t on to keep possession instead of just blindly launching it which is new.

Also, was irrationally annoyed at Prestia acting like a knob all game. I know it’s been like 8 years since he left and his opponent was on a blinder, but thought he was better than that and it just looked like an old washed up has been picking on the new crop.
I think Budarick makes Powell a better player. He knows he can zone off and go for an intercept when Buddas is on. He can't do that with Lemmens or Atkins or MacPherson back there because they are most likely going to lose their 1v1 so he needs to float back and help. So many times Budarick was in the correct position and Wil just flew forward for an intercept or a drive forward. Let him play a much more natural intercepting and driving game and we will see Powell explode this year.

Once there’s a chance of finals you’d be surprised how many more Melbourne based fans we will suddenly attract with an eye to hedging finals tickets

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because members who own seats didn't show up. The game was a sell out, you couldn't walk up and buy a GA ticket. It's the members who own seats around the stadium who didn't show up that made it look less. 22k is pretty much full. We haven't touched those sort of numbers in a long long time.

See my comment re my strong suspicion regarding Melbourne
Based memberships

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back