Autopsy Round 1 vs Sydney @ Heritage Bank Stadium. 18/03/23 - 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at the disposal efficiency of their backline and that tells you all you need to know. Compare that to our teams.

For example: Lloyd with 28 @ 100%. Constable with 28 @ 46.

Honesty willing to wait and see how we go under the roof at Marvel next week before going full melt down.

There was a lot of negatives tonight. But I’ll give it one more before making my way to the BDSM thread
swerk GIF

See you when you get down here 😂

Mammoth game from Witts
25 disposals (career high)
10 clearances
51 hitouts

Disappointing the rest of the team couldn't go with him.

This isn't our season over, but coaches need to reassess our set up fast and need reinforcements.

Massive surprise there. I said previously, getting rid of the teams biggest strength (pressure from small forwards) and playing a million tall forwards, has never worked in the history of the game. It's some of the dumbest coaching I've seen. Add to that it was basically like a wet night which made it even stupider.

Very disappointing. Not the season start we wanted or hoped for.

I will reserve team judgement after 5-6 games. Some good teams also got smashed today.

The first quarter was diabolical. We brought the effort in 2nd quarter but again disappointingly fell off in 2nd half.

Swans looked great, slick, primed.

I leave negatives to others. It would be a long list.

Only one positive for me was Uwland. Yes, he made mistakes but I liked what I saw.

The tall experiment should be over. Line-up did not work.

Buddy is a pig. If they don’t suspend him, …

Look at the disposal efficiency of their backline and that tells you all you need to know. Compare that to our teams.

For example: Lloyd with 28 @ 100%. Constable with 28 @ 46.
Our backline was under pump all the time. We very rarely put pressure on Swans backline.

Pies last night

View attachment 1633306

It’s prob says more about the midfield supply then a forward line itself.
3 of those aren't real key forwards and can chase and provide pressure.
We went in with 3 200cm plus players and luko and Jeffrey. Way way way to tall

You reckon Miller?
Our best player was completely absent when the game was on the line.
Had 9 possessions at half time.
Had 2 score involvements for the game.
Yeah was very slow out of the gates, but giving credit for him lifting his rating in the second half, too bad others couldn't go with him.

Anderson a bigger disappointment for me.

Small positive is I don't think we can play any worst than that, and the Swans pressure was relentless. So many fumbles and second grabs from the likes of Flanders, Davies and MacPherson killed us.

Yeah was very slow out of the gates, but giving credit for him lifting his rating in the second half, too bad others couldn't go with him.

Small positive is I don't think we can play any worst than that, and the Swans pressure was relentless. So many fumbles and second grabs from the likes of Flanders, Davies and MacPherson killed us.
You could select any player except Witts. Here is an example - Hollands had DE 26% (12 kicks, 3 handballs). He basically missed all his kicks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans were just 5-10 metres in front of us at every single contest. Their work rate blew us out of the park. Plain and simple. They wanted it more.

You could select any player except Witts. Here is an example - Hollands had DE 26% (12 kicks, 3 handballs). He basically missed all his kicks!
He had a shocking game. Don’t think he is at all comfortable on a wing. I know he can play so well, but tonight wasn’t it.

• Players playing out of position
This is a big one for me.

We didn’t have a genuine winger, and had a makeshift backline. No real pace in the midfield.

We were slow and predictable.

Reckon injuries have limited us, but team selection was always questionable and played a big part in this shambolic round one.

Negatives
  • Same as last year, we lack composure when under consistent pressure. Hack kick central, auto HB to a player also under pressure.
  • Same as last year, if we don't put pressure on the ball then we ain't got much. It goes into d50 very easily, and if our defenders do win the ball they ain't got the skills/composure/run to send the ball back the other way in a hurry and turn defense into attack. You know, like the good teams.
  • We were always going to miss Ranks, but 44 inside 50's for a home game is pick 1 level stuff with most of those entries rubbish. Don't fix the middle of the ground, the forward line make up is irrelevant. Better players up there gets us a couple more goals at most.
  • Maybe this is a positive, but our clanger to inside 50 ratio is absolutely pick 1 level stuff. We can still Win the Draft!

Positives
  • Wittsy was good from the first bounce to the last.
  • Daylight.
  • Rowell cracked in and looks stronger and better than last year.
  • Daylight.
  • There is a chance this is our worst game of the year, and every team has to have one of those, right?
  • We still have the The Crab and the Bear to come into the team. Just need a Shark, a Rhino, a Venomous Snake, an Elephant, a Leopard, an Octopus, and maybe even a Whale and we are good to go. Just please don't make it a White Elephant. Or a Snow Leopard. Just, you know, normal animals.

Some quick thoughts.

1: Game Plan - what Game Plan??
2: In one pre season under a good coach NM show in round one what can come out of a true professional developing young players
3: If we have 20,000 members and at least 50% last night were Swans supporters - where the f--- were the other 14,000!! It was the first round of the season FFS.
4: Davies is just not worth keeping in the side. Horrendous decision making. If they are going to play Flanders - it must be as a mid not floating around the periphery.
5: Throw Hollands into the middle. I can hear brother Ollie in his ear as I write this!
6: Where has the real Sam Collins gone?
7: How many silly toe pokes were performed instead of actually (you know) putting your body on the line.
8: Holman is a great guy but like McCarthy for Brisbane just doesn't get enough of the ball.
9: Thank God for Rowell and the ancient David Swallow for showing some actual grit.
10: Possibly the worst game I've ever had to sit through - embarrassing on so many levels
11: Chol actually got out of gear once during the game - should do it more often. Made some poor decisions as well.
12: Said it three years ago but will say it again - we need a massive KPD to control the defence.
13: Has Rowell re-signed yet? Can't remember but we better get it quick if not.

Probably a lot more but that'll do for now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back