Autopsy Round 1 vs Sydney @ Heritage Bank Stadium. 18/03/23 - 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

A loss to Sydney is nothing to be ashamed of.
The way we played is something to ashamed of.
No question it was absolutely terrible performance. So was Lions performance who are one of the favourites or look at WB performance. I thought Eagles were pathetic too.

It can happen. Win or lose if we repeat the same crappy half-effort against Essendon we are in trouble. Effort is non-negotiable.

A loss to Sydney is nothing to be ashamed of.
The way we played is something to ashamed of.
Yep. 8 goal loss at home against a team we’ve recently had the wood on, when we’ve been spruiking all Summer we’re ready and we’re hard to play against - I wasn’t expecting to win but thought we’d be more than competitive.

In the commentary, they mentioned that Sydney's 'pressure rating' was the 2nd best since the start of last year, and it looked like that on TV, Sydney's pressure was elite and we got no easy ball. Essendon's pressure won't be that level, so with a bit more time on the ball, we will see how we look.

In the commentary, they mentioned that Sydney's 'pressure rating' was the 2nd best since the start of last year, and it looked like that on TV, Sydney's pressure was elite and we got no easy ball. Essendon's pressure won't be that level, so with a bit more time on the ball, we will see how we look.
I am more optimistic about beating Cats. They struggled physically. It of course depends if we decide to show up. Essendon we always struggle against. Draper owns Witts and we can’t cope with their rebound and speed. Their midfield is good. We could be 0:3 before help arrives (Ellis, Powell, Weller).

Which pundits expect us to make finals? I haven’t seen us in one top 8 prediction…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah. The expectation and aim has to be get finals, especially internally.

But it’s also not reasonable to assume we do. And clearly nobody externally does.

Plenty of teams had deplorable round one starts. We have a whole season to do something. Time will tell.
Weller was a poor backman, people do remember that right? That's why he was shifted onto the ball and fwd rotations, and vfl. He bit off more than he can chew, couldn't defend, coming off an acl, I have no idea why people mention him as an obvious solution to our problems

Slap him on a wing. We just need some speed and good kicking; hopefully he still has both, but it’s a big ask. The ability to kick a goal from outside 50 would also be a nice addition.

I also feel like Weller was starting to find his groove there when he went down. His run and carry would be very handy.

Slap him on a wing. We just need some speed and good kicking; hopefully he still has both, but it’s a big ask. The ability to kick a goal from outside 50 would also be a nice addition.
This isn't the AA side, we need our wingmen to be good wingmen. Why did we keep Sharp around to fester into a bitter cancer at our club if we have no intention of playing him

This isn't the AA side, we need our wingmen to be good wingmen. Why did we keep Sharp around to fester into a bitter cancer at our club if we have no intention of playing him
For the record, I would play Sharp. With all our outs, he would be a fine replacement for Ellis. Then shift out some of the under-performers from the forward line and we might look like a more natural team with more options.

But I don’t see any reason Weller or Powell can’t be a wingman when they return.

Essendon are going to be very tough to beat down there. Will have their tails up after today’s big win.

Our constant fumbling allows the to enact pressure.
It’s a double edged sword really - more pressure begets more pressure.

Yesterday, it looked like Swans mis-timed their Grand Final form by 6 months😀 I had no idea that they were number 1 pressure team last year. Swans were fantastic, we were mostly rubble. Great lesson. Let’s see next weekend.

This is the point I tried to make earlier in this thread. People can say we played poorly (and we did) but you always have to consider how much of a factor the opposition's actions are on your performance. Sydney's pressure was relentless and they reaped all the rewards from it. Essendon can't really play at that level, at least not for four quarters, so let's see how the boys go against a team that isn't rated in the top 2 in almost every category. I can accept that we aren't a top 2 team this year but that's about all you can say definitively so far this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez some people on here are getting really carried away after one game. I get that we played poorly but there's still another 22 games to go.

A loss to Sydney is nothing to be ashamed of. It's our result against Essendon next week that will answer more questions.

Last week it was just pre season games doesn’t count this week it’s just round one next week it will be it was at marvel we never win there the week after it will be it’s geelong the reigning premiers. Enough excuses please the team played crap the coach was out coached

s**t game but can't base the season expectations on that. a team with powell, weller, ellis in (minus a tall forward - ridiculous team selection) will compete a hell of a lot better.

constable should not be taking kick outs.

bodhi had a solid first game, super excited for the young GC lad!!

expecting a much better outcome under the roof in VIC this weekend.

The fact of the matter is we didn’t show up. When Sydney kicked the first 5 goals of the game I knew it was over then and there. We let Sydney do what they liked there was no pressure at all from us. We were 5 metres behind every contest. It was embarrassing and heads should roll after a performance like that. I hope the player selection committee swing the axe to send a message to the playing group that performances like that or lack there of will not be tolerated this year.

I can't be bothered looking, how many more 7pm home games do we have? We seem to perform our worse at those games except for Collingwood last year

I can't be bothered looking, how many more 7pm home games do we have? We seem to perform our worse at those games except for Collingwood last year
Not at home, We've got three back to back 7:30pm starts - The Gabba and two on the bounce in Darwin (vs Dogs & Crows)

Everything after Round 15 is currently TBC

SIMPLE OBSERVATIONS
Simply outclassed by a far superior football team
Sadly we are a long long way from playing finals.
Witts and Rowell only 2 players to earn their keep.
You cannot have MacPherson Constable and Uwland all in the back half and expect to win many games at this level.
Our forward line set up is a major concern ,too many talls and not enough quick smalls (which we honestly dont have any)
Really concerned how our younger players dont seem to develop as quickly as other clubs.
Next two games will define our season.

The fact of the matter is we didn’t show up. When Sydney kicked the first 5 goals of the game I knew it was over then and there. We let Sydney do what they liked there was no pressure at all from us. We were 5 metres behind every contest. It was embarrassing and heads should roll after a performance like that. I hope the player selection committee swing the axe to send a message to the playing group that performances like that or lack there of will not be tolerated this year.
Nothing worse than knowing your team didn't show up for the game, and will certainly lose, halfway through the first quarter.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did you see him play in the VFL finals
The last final vs Southport he was woeful
I was sitting at the game with Fiorini Miller and Witts and they were just silent when he he got the ball
There's something not right there either with him or with his teammates
Sharp is not the answer to Saturday's debacle

Nothing worse than knowing your team didn't show up for the game, and will certainly lose, halfway through the first quarter.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just horrific
Easy to believe your own hype when you're just playing yourself and not taking the practice games seriously
They've been doing it to us since the beginning
Every time we have expectations the team fails to even meet the lowest of them

Did you see him play in the VFL finals
The last final vs Southport he was woeful
I was sitting at the game with Fiorini Miller and Witts and they were just silent when he he got the ball
There's something not right there either with him or with his teammates
Sharp is not the answer to Saturday's debacle
I did watch the finals, nothing memorable but it was a while ago. Thought he looked really good against essendon in the practice match. I'm not privy to inner sanctum stuff but something must have gone down, which to me is whatever, bound to happen, I just don't understand why we kept him if there is a riff there

I did watch the finals, nothing memorable but it was a while ago. Thought he looked really good against essendon in the practice match. I'm not privy to inner sanctum stuff but something must have gone down, which to me is whatever, bound to happen, I just don't understand why we kept him if there is a riff there
I guess you just hope something will turn around
I've always felt he was lazy
Compare Brando-one day we'll all realise what an amazing pickup Brandon Ellis has been for us
Never ever stops running, trying and working hard
We have a little coterie of these guys developing in Witts Swallow Miller Rowell Anderson and Ellis and Ballard
I'd throw Holman in there but he just doesn't get enough ball to make all the fuss worthwhile

Remove this Banner Ad

Back