Autopsy Round 1 vs Sydney @ Heritage Bank Stadium. 18/03/23 - 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

If the plays bring an extra ambulance to the ground.
The Mighty Ducks Fist Bump GIF

Flanders and Bear?

In all seriousness, Sydney didn't look very good against the Lions yesterday. Beaten by 45 points and they had their big guns playing like Buddy, Mills and Heeney. They've got Carlton next week so if they lose that one as well then things are starting to look very good for us heading into round 1. I'd rather play the Swans early when they look vulnerable and start our season off in a really positive way than face them later when we've already lost several games and are in a must-win situation.

In all seriousness, Sydney didn't look very good against the Lions yesterday. Beaten by 45 points and they had their big guns playing like Buddy, Mills and Heeney. They've got Carlton next week so if they lose that one as well then things are starting to look very good for us heading into round 1. I'd rather play the Swans early when they look vulnerable and start our season off in a really positive way than face them later when we've already lost several games and are in a must-win situation.
For sure, you can make optimistic conclusions from practice games, but IMO practice games do really mean nothing. Bloody hell, Essendon even cancelled period 6 and gave us only 10 min of period 5 when I was enjoying our team B performance.

You still remember last year when we spanked Cats in pre-season?

But I agree that it's probably good to meet Swans in round one. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Hickey is out so that would be pretty significant too.

For sure, you can make optimistic conclusions from practice games, but IMO practice games do really mean nothing. Bloody hell, Essendon even cancelled period 6 and gave us only 10 min of period 5 when I was enjoying our team B performance.

You still remember last year when we spanked Cats in pre-season?

But I agree that it's probably good to meet Swans in round one. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Hickey is out so that would be pretty significant too.
While I agree that you can't look too much into practice matches, I was expecting a better showing from last year's Grand Finalist with a lot of their big guns playing. I understand Brisbane have gotten better with the inclusions of Dunkley, Ashcroft and McKenna but losing by 45 points is a belting when you're a top 2 team. I'm interested to see how they go against Carlton because I feel the Blues are closer to our level and being the final game of the preseason should mean most teams will play a side that's very close to their round 1 team.

I like the idea of facing the Swans at Heritage in round 1. We've won 3 of our last 4 matches against Sydney so we're definitely a bogey team for them these days and that will be playing on their minds. Plus they've also got the pressure of being a Grand Finalist from last year and everyone will expect them to start the season well. It's set up nicely for us to pull off what should be labeled a big upset. Then we can roll into round 2 against Essendon full of confidence and looking for some revenge for the way they ended our season last year.

While I agree that you can't look too much into practice matches, I was expecting a better showing from last year's Grand Finalist with a lot of their big guns playing. I understand Brisbane have gotten better with the inclusions of Dunkley, Ashcroft and McKenna but losing by 45 points is a belting when you're a top 2 team. I'm interested to see how they go against Carlton because I feel the Blues are closer to our level and being the final game of the preseason should mean most teams will play a side that's very close to their round 1 team.

I like the idea of facing the Swans at Heritage in round 1. We've won 3 of our last 4 matches against Sydney so we're definitely a bogey team for them these days and that will be playing on their minds. Plus they've also got the pressure of being a Grand Finalist from last year and everyone will expect them to start the season well. It's set up nicely for us to pull off what should be labeled a big upset. Then we can roll into round 2 against Essendon full of confidence and looking for some revenge for the way they ended our season last year.
I did watch most of Lions vs Swans practice. After close 2 periods Lions started to dominate in the middle. Swans had mostly 2 kids as rucks (McAndrew, Edwards) and Reid helping out against BigO and Fort. No Hickey and Ladhams.

I did watch most of Lions vs Swans practice. After close 2 periods Lions started to dominate in the middle. Swans had mostly 2 kids as rucks (McAndrew, Edwards) and Reid helping out against BigO and Fort. No Hickey and Ladhams.
Fair enough. According to the Swans board, this is their current injury list:

T.McCartin
Gould
Hickey
Ladhams
Konstanty
Papley
McLean
Amartey
Blakey
Clarke
Wicks
Fox
Cunningham

Fair enough. According to the Swans board, this is their current injury list:

T.McCartin
Gould
Hickey
Ladhams

Konstanty
Papley
McLean
Amartey
Blakey
Clarke

Wicks
Fox
Cunningham

If these guys (or at least 1/2 of them) are missing that would be big.

If Swans don't have Mills & Rowbottom in their midfield at the same time, it goes to shambles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we have miller, Ellis and Powell all putting their hand up for selection with no pre season games under their belt. Miller is a no brainer but the other two maybe could need some touch. Ellis with his experience could maybe step straight in. Powell after his lengthy lay off really could have done with some solid hit outs before a return.

So we have miller, Ellis and Powell all putting their hand up for selection with no pre season games under their belt. Miller is a no brainer but the other two maybe could need some touch. Ellis with his experience could maybe step straight in. Powell after his lengthy lay off really could have done with some solid hit outs before a return.
No VFL game round 1. VFL starts the 25th March

Watched a few minutes of the port and Freo game.
There was a free to port forward in their 50 about 80m ahead of the ball.

Commentators were saying they reckon there will be a lot of free’s plucked out like this against defenders who are ‘holding’. Given 4 umpires there will always be a watchful eye ahead of the ball.

We’ve seen vision of Collins work ahead of the ball. He employs a lot of techniques, within the rules (just) in order to disrupt the opponent. Hope we don’t see him get pinged for many of these

Watched a few minutes of the port and Freo game.
There was a free to port forward in their 50 about 80m ahead of the ball.

Commentators were saying they reckon there will be a lot of free’s plucked out like this against defenders who are ‘holding’. Given 4 umpires there will always be a watchful eye ahead of the ball.

We’ve seen vision of Collins work ahead of the ball. He employs a lot of techniques, within the rules (just) in order to disrupt the opponent. Hope we don’t see him get pinged for many of these
On the other side defenders need to push the boundaries to contain ben king he's too quick otherwise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back