Autopsy Round 1 vs Sydney @ Heritage Bank Stadium. 18/03/23 - 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon this kid will be an AFL player. Not bad for his first outing

Getting player of the round over Witts is an interesting choice. But hey, the people have spoken! That’s democracy :) He did ok for a first game. Definitely things to build on and look forward to in the future, which is exciting.

Well, that was disappointing.

Still, it means there is plenty of room for improvement. We know the team is better than that.

Last week it was just pre season games doesn’t count this week it’s just round one next week it will be it was at marvel we never win there the week after it will be it’s geelong the reigning premiers. Enough excuses please the team played crap the coach was out coached
How is that making excuses? I literally wrote that I thought we played poorly.

Is it an excuse to say that losing to the grand finalists in round 1 is nothing to be ashamed of? I wrote that because it's true. I think we can all agree that we're not top 2 material right now so a loss was always likely on paper. The only thing that gave us hope was the fact that we had a good recent record against them. On paper, we're inferior to them in just about every part of the ground, but so are arguably 16 other teams in the competition. The Swans are a very well balanced team and very difficult to defeat.

Did our recent record against them raise people's expectations to the point that they were expecting a win? Probably. Was I guilty of buying into that? Yes, but now that we've seen the game and know that the 'bogey team' effect wasn't in play on Saturday night, it's really not surprising that we lost. How often does a bottom 10 team not lose to a top 2 team by 30+ points? Just to give everyone a reference point - Sydney's average winning margin against bottom 10 teams last year was 40.2 points and we lost to them on Saturday night by 45 points. It's really not that surprising. The disappointing part is we know our players can play better.

An outside rando's personal rankings after analysing the replay in detail for anyone who cares.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

T Miller 7
J Witts 7
-
M Rowell 6
C Ballard 6
N Holman 5
N Anderson 5
-
B Ainsworth 4
J Farrar 4
S Flanders 4
B Uwland 4
B Long 3
D Macpherson 3
D Swallow 3
C Constable 3
-
M Chol 2
J Lukosius 2
S Collins 2
J Jeffrey 2
B Fiorini (s) 2
B King 1
A Davies 1
-
L Casboult 0
E Hollands 0

Sydney rankings for comparison: Autopsy - Swans beat Suns by 49 on the Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back