Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess they're not for everybody, but it's a bit like test cricket I suppose. I enjoy sinking a few hours in but playing days on end and I just feel burnt out.
It's just the learning curve that makes it boring I reckon. I used to think the same as Dylan8 then after I learned some of the mechanics a lot better it started becoming more fun because you actually knew what you were doing and can plan goals around building your empire. But yeah, the games aren't for everyone I suppose. I don't know what could be funner than steamrolling the Ottomans as Byzantium in successive wars only to vassal them and make them a slave to you.

I've never been a huge gadget-type operator, but I enjoy playing casually. Pretty much only sports games, just don't have any interest in RDR2 or COD etc. I guess that's mostly because they require a fair bit of time to complete, whereas most sports games have a quick match option to play for fun, and if I do get involved in playing the game heavily a season isn't that hard to complete.

Recently me and my friends have been playing FIFA Pro Clubs, it's actually quite fun (don't tell them they stink though and I carry the team). Even playing drop-in is pretty good most of the time

Play a fair bit of Madden which has helped me understand Gridiron as a whole better, but the Franchise Mode is so weak. EA does the bare minimum to maintain the mode (which made Madden popular in the first place).

Would love an AFL game which has a great in depth franchise mode as well, though that is decades away it seems.

Play a fair bit of Madden which has helped me understand Gridiron as a whole better, but the Franchise Mode is so weak. EA does the bare minimum to maintain the mode (which made Madden popular in the first place).

Would love an AFL game which has a great in depth franchise mode as well, though that is decades away it seems.

What do you reckon it would take to woo EA into making an AFL game? At the moment, EA Sports AFL19 seems light years away, but if the AFL were dead-serious on making a quality video game (to the standard of AFL Live 2003-AFL Premiership 2007) I reckon a deal could be made.

Imagine how cool it would be to have an EA AFL game. There'd be the plenty of big differences, like accurate broadcast graphics, better commentary lines (FIFA style - instead of saying "kicked by Ablett" they'd say "moving the ball through the corridor"), realistic ball and player movement and better designed stadiums, as well as different gameplay options

What may fly under the radar though would be the little details - the sponsor on the ball being the same as the home teams ball sponsor, the jumpers being accurate and matched with shorts correctly, the cheersquad sitting at the correct end of the stadium. I'm excited just thinking about what could happen with EA

What do you reckon it would take to woo EA into making an AFL game? At the moment, EA Sports AFL19 seems light years away, but if the AFL were dead-serious on making a quality video game (to the standard of AFL Live 2003-AFL Premiership 2007) I reckon a deal could be made.

Imagine how cool it would be to have an EA AFL game. There'd be the plenty of big differences, like accurate broadcast graphics, better commentary lines (FIFA style - instead of saying "kicked by Ablett" they'd say "moving the ball through the corridor"), realistic ball and player movement and better designed stadiums, as well as different gameplay options

What may fly under the radar though would be the little details - the sponsor on the ball being the same as the home teams ball sponsor, the jumpers being accurate and matched with shorts correctly, the cheersquad sitting at the correct end of the stadium. I'm excited just thinking about what could happen with EA
Never in 1,000,000 years unfortunately.
Market is simply too small for them to care about (mind you, a completely untapped market, but this is the company that cares more about micro-transactions and political messages in games than actually taking care of the franchise itself).

I'd much rather an Australian company step their game up, establish backing from the AFL and big publishers and just go ham in creating a definitive AFL experience.
This will not happen while Gil remains at the helm and we will instead be sinking big $$$ in AFLX or something.

Please tell me you younguns know AFL 98 and AFL 99 exist, games made by EA Sports? :) But would love another EA made AFL game. It's all about the money they'll make from it, which probably won't be a lot compared to what they'd use to work on it.

I don't know what could be funner than steamrolling the Ottomans as Byzantium in successive wars only to vassal them and make them a slave to you.
Now we're talking :hearteyes:

Last edited:
Please tell me you younguns know AFL 98 and AFL 99 exist, games made by EA Sports? :) But would love another EA made AFL game. It's all about the money they'll make from it, which probably won't be a lot compared to what they'd use to work on it.

I have heard of it, saw some gameplay of it a while back, it had Bruce commentating! Imagine Bruce saying in AFL19 'Rioli, gee he's a delicious player isn't he?'

EA are often the go-to company we all think of when creating a better AFL game, but has anyone considered 2K? AFL 2K19 has a nice ring to it, and they might be keen to add the AFL to its sports portfolio, which relies heavily on NBA. While the NBA is quite popular in Australia, their sales would boost considerably by creating and selling an AFL game, compared to EA who already have a monopoly on sports titles and don't need the AFL game to boost sales in Australia

This. I think I remember hearing that at one point that they were interested, but the nature of the sport and the fact that they don't have 20+ years of foundations to build upon like FIFA or Madden meant that it just wasn't feasible. Would like to see the AFL look at video games as a marketing tool rather than merchandise like FIFA does. Reckon that if big ant were given a decent run of titles and all the resources required, they could have created a truly great AFL game, the signs were there with the original AFL live.

Market is simply too small for them to care about (mind you, a completely untapped market, but this is the company that cares more about micro-transactions and political messages in games than actually taking care of the franchise itself).
Honestly, I don't understand why this is still a massive issue for some people, can't remember the last time I purchased a micro transaction in an EA game and don't really feel like I've ever been put at a massive disadvantage for not doing so.

That's a shame. It is really good venue, you should check it out.

Yeah but who would go there? It's not like anyone supports the Suns lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, I don't understand why this is still a massive issue for some people, can't remember the last time I purchased a micro transaction in an EA game and don't really feel like I've ever been put at a massive disadvantage for not doing so.
I never buy them and never will, but some EA games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 effectively locked progression (in the form of power-up cards) behind a pay-wall where, if you did not buy additional packs, would take something on the order of 50+ hours of gameplay to unlock relatively simple power-ups, giving those who do not have the money to spend at a considerable disadvantage.
Rightfully so, they reverted this back to a more reasonable system, but it still shows the contempt they have for long time fans of Star Wars and EA shooters.

Even still, most of these microtransaction implementations end up being eerily similar to pokie machines with many governments looking in to the effect things like FIFA Ultimate Team and Madden Ultimate Team has on children and their susceptibility to gambling.

I do know they existed and played the hell out of them, but it's clear that EA and the gaming industry is a different place since then.
Trust me, I'd love an AFL game with the level of attention as EA Sport games, but it's simply not within their interests I feel anymore to do so.

Ever been to Etihad Stadium? Who am I kidding, only 90's kids remember :p

I went there once with the missus - flew over to see Coldplay (and spend the week with her family) - decent venue.

I played the s**t out of Crusader Kings 2 but it's definitely a pretty wild commitment to do it well.

I feel like even a long Civ 4 game would be knocked over inside 15 hours of play time but I never finished the only CK2 game I got into and i'd played well over 50 hours. Not even close actually. I've probably played through 30 or 40 Civ games between 2 and 4 but that's because you've always got that light at the end of the tunnel. CK2 just seemed to go on and on and get more and more insanely complex as time went on.

On a similar note, I may be going to Optus for the Collingwood v Eagles game there this year.
Last time I went interstate I went to Adelaide v Collingwood R4 this year, fully expecting to be blown out by the Crows.
So...?
If so, get ready to experience the best stadium in Australia. Gonna be a Grand Final rematch too, even better. That qualifying final against you guys was insane, the atmosphere was absolutely electric. I was on edge the entire game,
it's probably up there with the Grand Final as one of my favourite games I've attended.

* I miss footy.

I miss hearing the commentators say the match was “at the Dome”. It was just the perfect name, shame that it changed

Probably exactly why it changed back from Dome to Stadium. The focus became the Dome, not the paid Telstra sponsorship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back