Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

Sub-par team, sub-par stadium, sub-par effort from CA playing it at Shitihad Stadium. I hope the Renegades get rolled for 37.
When a league actually gives the higher-placed team home ground advantage its all of a sudden considered a "sub-par effort"?
Marvel is a great stadium for cricket, especially with the wicket on Friday night.

I'm up and about, hopefully the team are too. This is so exciting, haven't been part of a professional teams GF Day since 2011
Not a chance.
It's a beautiful day today, so the sun will be shining too.
Oh, and the Renegades as well
I didn't get a chance to say it on the night amongst the continuos "LETS GO RENEGADES LETS GO 👏 👏" but it was one of the best atmospheres I've ever felt at anything (including the rep Tour). Everyone going nuts to support the team, and that feeling when the winning runs were hit was sensational. I've watched back my video at least five times since then
Stars fans have quickly forgotten about the ICC's 'Poor' ratings of the MCG pitch, haven't they? Along with the fact we won the hosting rights. And the pitch at Marvel was fantastic on Friday night.
Test match pitch, completely irrelevant.
All of a sudden when a league actually gives the higher ranked team the right to a home grand final it's considered a sub-par effort?
Please explain the logic of letting the team who finished lower host the Final? You guys finished 4th and we finished 2nd, there should be absolutely no debate around who gets to host the game.
Lol'd at Eddie McGuire kicking a s**t storm over this. I have no idea why it even matters, this game won't even sell out.
At least now I can sympathise with non-Pies supporters.
When a league actually gives the higher-placed team home ground advantage its all of a sudden considered a "sub-par effort"?
Marvel is a great stadium for cricket, especially with the wicket on Friday night.
Wow, didn't know you guys were this full on about it, I retract my joke.

I guess winning one final in 8 seasons makes you treasure every one you make.

You posters who take the BBL so seriously, what age bracket are you in?
I'm early to mid 20s and as I've said before, I see it as a good laugh than anything to get right into
I'm 18 but but there's no footy to banter over so this fills in my time. If we lose; meh. If we win today; awesome.

You're right, it's just a bit of fun to fill in the time between footy season but I don't see why you cant be passionate about it.

The only reason I'm getting somewhat riled up is because of the entitlement the Stars seem to have that they deserve to host the game.

I'm early to mid 20s and as I've said before, I see it as a good laugh than anything to get right into
I'm in Year 12 this year but it's not for everybody I suppose.
Just love T20 cricket and to have a domestic league that I can follow in the AFL/NFL off-season is good. I don't really follow International Cricket outside of Tests so to have something here in Australia is easier to keep track of and enjoy.
Great night out with the mates for dirt cheap as well.

It's annoying that the target audience is so young as I think the talent/games are enjoyable enough to be a serious professional league (albeit with a shorter season, do not like the length this year.)
There are so many things I would change about it, but I guess I would sum it up as easy to follow and enjoyable.

Test match pitch, completely irrelevant.

Wow, didn't know you guys were this full on about it, I retract my joke.

I guess winning one final in 8 seasons makes you treasure every one you make.
I thought you were serious about it :p
Guess it's hard to gauge intent over the internet.

Well, I got into that final as a Stars supporter for a bit, and then lost it... not so much because we lost, but the naff nature of the 20/20 cricket

Still, spent worse afternoons... congratulations to those Renegade fans on here

Great match. 2 terrific matches of T20 cricket in 3 days and I'm proud to say I was there for both. If we had lost I probably would have been "oh well" but definitely glad we won. Maybe pride is a bit much, but you treasure premierships I suppose.
I'm 16, don't take it too seriously but I'll buy a membership as it gives me something to do over the summer and I can be in and out in 4 hours. used to be full on with it and I'm a bit embarrassed by that now but the past is the past.
The atmosphere was crazy those last 5 overs, pleased to have been there.

cool portfolio in the works - my nba obsession lately has driven me to start something that i’m enjoying. getting most of it finished before i post anything tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 17, got involved in the BBL as it's something fun to do over summer, and reasonably cheap too.

I expected to get behind the team, but my passions grown over the season. So glad to have been part of the atmosphere of the day. GO RENEGADES!!

I caught the last 10 or 11 overs of the Stars innings. Boyohboywowee...Renegades looked gone for all money with Dunk and Stoinis doing their thing at the crease. Then it all got turned on its head, wicket after wicket after wicket.

Ive watched bits and pieces of the BBL over the summer and havnt really gotten in to it but I really enjoyed what I watched yesterday!

I'm in Year 12 this year but it's not for everybody I suppose.
Just love T20 cricket and to have a domestic league that I can follow in the AFL/NFL off-season is good. I don't really follow International Cricket outside of Tests so to have something here in Australia is easier to keep track of and enjoy.
Great night out with the mates for dirt cheap as well.

It's annoying that the target audience is so young as I think the talent/games are enjoyable enough to be a serious professional league (albeit with a shorter season, do not like the length this year.)
There are so many things I would change about it, but I guess I would sum it up as easy to follow and enjoyable.
I don't think that making the Big Bash a serious league meets the original reason for its existence. It should be aimed at a non-cricket audience, introducing them to the game and hopefully into longer forms eventually. If you want serious competition there is a) Test matches, b) the WC and c) the IPL

I don't think that making the Big Bash a serious league meets the original reason for its existence. It should be aimed at a non-cricket audience, introducing them to the game and hopefully into longer forms eventually. If you want serious competition there is a) Test matches, b) the WC and c) the IPL
Well I like the BBL and to be frank, couldn't give a crap about what happens outside of Australia cricket-wise.

I'm fairly certain the BBL was mostly aimed at a younger cricket audience than Test matches, along with non-cricket fans looking for something to do. I'm a fan of all cricket forms, but the BBL is great fun, and I've had a great summer at the Renegades matches. Also, there's hardly any INTL cricket in Melbourne, but there's plenty of BBL (the Renegades played ten matches in Victoria this season). As a cricket fan I'm keen to see live professional cricket as often as possible (at a very reasonable price too)

In regards to the 'serious competitions':
a: Only one match in Melbourne (of which I would attend one day), I'd rather go to ten three-hour BBL matches than one eight-hour Test match day
b: Once every four years, and only in Australia once every 25-30 years. Impractical to follow seriously
c: Pretty much the BBL but based in India and on a bigger scale. It's exactly what the BBL could become in a few years once persisting issues are ironed out

c: Pretty much the BBL but based in India and on a bigger scale. It's exactly what the BBL could become in a few years once persisting issues are ironed out
The BBL will never become close to being similar to the IPL.
None of the other T20 league are close to it.

There are way too many irons to crease out, a list that we came up with earlier this season are examples (I just don’t seem to be able to find the post).

My first time doing SuperCoach this year. Made a 12 man league with a handful of my mates who admitedly are a lot more experienced with this sorta stuff so should be an interesting season.

Thoughts on the team?

1550473863985.png

Pretty much the BBL but based in India and on a bigger scale. It's exactly what the BBL could become in a few years once persisting issues are ironed out
I wouldn't put my money on it. A big difference between the IPL and BBL is that all our teams are indirectly owned by Cricket Australia whereas IPL the teams have actual owners. With that said though, despite having a fraction of the population in India, BBL and IPL are comparable in terms of attendance figures:

Games Total Att. Avg Att.
1550474735175.png

Quite amazing actually but yeah in terms of the money IPL brings in, the BBL will never be up there unless it allows private ownership of the teams. I think IPL prize money is somewhere around $3 million...

I'm fairly certain the BBL was mostly aimed at a younger cricket audience than Test matches, along with non-cricket fans looking for something to do. I'm a fan of all cricket forms, but the BBL is great fun, and I've had a great summer at the Renegades matches. Also, there's hardly any INTL cricket in Melbourne, but there's plenty of BBL (the Renegades played ten matches in Victoria this season). As a cricket fan I'm keen to see live professional cricket as often as possible (at a very reasonable price too)

In regards to the 'serious competitions':
a: Only one match in Melbourne (of which I would attend one day), I'd rather go to ten three-hour BBL matches than one eight-hour Test match day
b: Once every four years, and only in Australia once every 25-30 years. Impractical to follow seriously
This is probably the sort of crap that rubs people the wrong way about the big bash. I'm only a few years older than a lot of the big bash fanatics on here but there is a massive shift between me growing up as a fan of Australia, and then everyone on here being on the 'gade train' or whatever it is called instead. The fact that you'd rather go to and watch Clive Rose bowl left arm no-spin over going a boxing day ashes test is a sign that Cricket Australia has severely ****ed up somewhere along the way and an entire a generation of fans will be lost.

You also have little understanding of cricket if you think that the BBL can match the IPL in a few years. The IPL has a far greater talent pool of international players who actually can play in the whole tournament as a result of being factored into the ICC future tours programme. The big bash will never get this and as a result will have to get 'marquee players' that are second rate guys that played a couple of one dayers about 5 years back or washed up has-beens like Johan Botha.

This is probably the sort of crap that rubs people the wrong way about the big bash. I'm only a few years older than a lot of the big bash fanatics on here but there is a massive shift between me growing up as a fan of Australia, and then everyone on here being on the 'gade train' or whatever it is called instead. The fact that you'd rather go to and watch Clive Rose bowl left arm no-spin over going a boxing day ashes test is a sign that Cricket Australia has severely ****** up somewhere along the way and an entire a generation of fans will be lost.

You also have little understanding of cricket if you think that the BBL can match the IPL in a few years. The IPL has a far greater talent pool of international players who actually can play in the whole tournament as a result of being factored into the ICC future tours programme. The big bash will never get this and as a result will have to get 'marquee players' that are second rate guys that played a couple of one dayers about 5 years back or washed up has-beens like Johan Botha.

fancy goes bang.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back