Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

This is massive, big test to see what people really think matters when it comes to sport. Sadly I feel like a lot of the fans, players and staff of these clubs will back it enthusiastically.
Well fans are all against it.

This concept is gonna faceplant and severe punishment should be required - basically give them an NCAA death penalty and make them restart multiple tiers down

Well fans are all against it.

This concept is gonna faceplant and severe punishment should be required - basically give them an NCAA death penalty and make them restart multiple tiers down
We'll see how many stay opposed to this when the thing kicks off. Will they be playing in empty stadiums when they play their games not just in their home countries, but in all likelihood when they play games in the US, in China, in India, in whichever Arab country their particular team is aligned to?

FIFA and UEFA walking back their threats about players not being eligible for international tournaments already (their biggest weapon imo), these clubs will get away with this without any consequences imo.

I’m hoping it’s just another filthy, duplicitous ploy to negotiate yet more money in TV revenue, what with the Champions League logistical shake up. Nice to see Mourinho taking a stand in his disgust, putting morals over money. If every player, coach and genuine football fan associated within these clubs did the same, it’d be just a much better world.

This is massive, big test to see what people really think matters when it comes to sport. Sadly I feel like a lot of the fans, players and staff of these clubs will back it enthusiastically.
Thankfully it seems like the fans are overwhelmingly against this idea. As the biggest casual when it comes to soccer (I literally just check where QPR are in the Championship every few weeks) I can see how horrible this idea is, no positives for it AT ALL.

Didn't expect this from clubs like Liverpool and Man U. Not quite sure with Man U but Liverpool fans are definitely going to jump off them if it goes through, myself included.
man utd's owners are heavily commercially driven, so not surprised on their part.

a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and the proposed start, will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Didn't expect this from clubs like Liverpool and Man U. Not quite sure with Man U but Liverpool fans are definitely going to jump off them if it goes through, myself included.

As a reds fan, I’m also jumping if it goes through. Ive really enjoyed learning the game and more about the club and it’s foibles during the past 3 years. Always considered myself a Liverpool fan purely because my uncle has close ties to them and they invited him to train with them decades ago. I now work in an industry where I’m constantly exposed to soccer at work, so it was fun to learn more about the club, the league, etc. It’d suck but this proposed comp goes against why I enjoy sport.

2013 was an ugly year:

Adelaide — Side panels, splatter of crows guernsey
Brisbane — Paddlepop lion, wore white away to the Swans
Carlton — Unnecessary amounts of navy on clash guernsey, that match against Port
Collingwood — Wearing the mainly black guernsey away to RI, ES, ME, CA
Essendon — Straight sash, grey
Fremantle — (actually alright)
Geelong — Navy catface clash
Gold Coast — (well, the white rising-sun guernsey was nice)
GWS — Clash uniform had charcoal socks
Hawthorn — Brown-backed away guernsey, the anatomically-incorrect hawk of doom
Melbourne — Unnecessary side panels on clash, that overcomplicated logo
North Melbourne — (pass)
Port Adelaide — (acceptable)
Richmond — That “clash” guernsey
St Kilda — Bland clash guernsey
Sydney — The very last time a team ever wore the same uniform in every game
West Coast — White guernsey with eagle head of ambivalence
W. Bulldogs — Poor positioning of everything, that cursed red guernsey

2013 was an ugly year:

Adelaide — splatter of crows guernsey

GWS — Clash uniform had charcoal socks

Hawthorn — Brown-backed away guernsey, the anatomically-incorrect hawk of doom

St Kilda — Bland clash guernsey

W. Bulldogs — that cursed red guernsey
Take all these back and I am with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to share something with everyone here - I know we're all very passionate about sport and wanted to share a story that I hope may inspire someone here.

6 and a half years ago, I was in a very bad mental state due to a number of reasons, to the point I had planned to end it all - my mother found out and promptly got me to seek help and see a psychologist (who I still see today). This support turned my life around very quickly and stopped me from making what would have been a grave mistake.

After a few months, I decided I wanted to give back to my local community so I put some feelers out to volunteer at a local sports club.

I ended up joining my local rugby club as a ground announcer, "DJ" and eventually began doing graphic design, video editing and now commentary for our live streams as part of our league's platform.

On Tuesday night, I was called to training to introduce myself to the new players seeing the season began a few weeks ago. The players had organised to award me their "clubman of the week" award to thank me for my service over the opening rounds, including compiling highlights videos for games. I've received awards from the club before, including one for assisting the parent multi-sport club with a Centenary documentary, but this one was from the players themselves which made it even more special to me.

I have been with the club for 6 years and have gotten to live some of my dreams with them, especially with beginning to commentate their games. In return, I've been able to assist the club by putting together flyers, jersey mockups for sponsors, highlight videos, etc. which have helped recruit new players and sponsors and received good reviews from other clubs in our division. I joined when our club had just been dropped to Division 4, the lowest the club had ever been in the system - last year, after a change in fortunes, we were promoted back to Division 3.

If you want to get involved in your local club and possibly get some great experience in your dream field, I highly suggest you reach out and see what's out there. My experience has been so rewarding, even if it has involved a lot of hard work, short turnarounds, etc. and you might just find yourself a second family and be part of something bigger than yourself.

To avoid derailing the Round 7 thread, I’ll continue by campaign to raise the socks here.

Lemon Boi presents the case for the defense of long socks

a) In recent weeks (or years), uniform clashes have been a hot topic in BigFooty​
b) An avoidable problem in such clashes is the fact that over 90% of current players don’t wear their socks up to their knees​
c) This combines with the fact that shoes are often neon or not team colours to produce avoidable clashes from the shorts down​
d) Therefore it would help viewers if teams had their players wear long socks (that don’t clash) and shoes of a standard colour​

Section 1 – The case of the NRL

Many players in the NRL still wear their socks up; this is the Parramatta team from a few weeks ago.
1619671886914.png

Section 2 – In response to claims from the prosecution

“It’s harder to run with socks up”
Ferguson (far right) and Gutherson (far left) are both in the top five for running metres at this point in the season; both wear their socks up​
“Socks are too tight”
Paulo (4th from left) has the thiccest legs in the NRL; he wears his socks up as the manufacturer (Macron) has provided high quality material​
“It doesn’t make that much difference”
Compare the pair; the first picture is from last weekend’s Collingwood–Essendon match, the second picture is the from same fixture ten years earlier​
CW ES 2021.png CW ES 2011.png
Section 3 – Conclusion

Many people on this board wish for all games to feature sufficient contrast, and for teams to wear clash guernseys when necessary.
An easy-to-achieve step in the direction of such full-uniform contrast is to eliminate the unnecessary and avoidable minor clashes caused by socks and shoes.

To avoid derailing the Round 7 thread, I’ll continue by campaign to raise the socks here.

Lemon Boi presents the case for the defense of long socks

a) In recent weeks (or years), uniform clashes have been a hot topic in BigFooty​
b) An avoidable problem in such clashes is the fact that over 90% of current players don’t wear their socks up to their knees​
c) This combines with the fact that shoes are often neon or not team colours to produce avoidable clashes from the shorts down​
d) Therefore it would help viewers if teams had their players wear long socks (that don’t clash) and shoes of a standard colour​

Section 1 – The case of the NRL

Many players in the NRL still wear their socks up; this is the Parramatta team from a few weeks ago.
View attachment 1114215

Section 2 – In response to claims from the prosecution

“It’s harder to run with socks up”
Ferguson (far right) and Gutherson (far left) are both in the top five for running metres at this point in the season; both wear their socks up​
“Socks are too tight”
Paulo (4th from left) has the thiccest legs in the NRL; he wears his socks up as the manufacturer (Macron) has provided high quality material​
“It doesn’t make that much difference”
Compare the pair; the first picture is from last weekend’s Collingwood–Essendon match, the second picture is the from same fixture ten years earlier​

Section 3 – Conclusion

Many people on this board wish for all games to feature sufficient contrast, and for teams to wear clash guernseys when necessary.
An easy-to-achieve step in the direction of such full-uniform contrast is to eliminate the unnecessary and avoidable minor clashes caused by socks and shoes.
I wonder if any team has ever worn vertical-stripe socks successfully and if it would look okay with a team like Collingwood (for example)

Edit: Found the Broncos did briefly as a throwback

1620101394669.png

I wonder if any team has ever worn vertical-stripe socks successfully and if it would look okay with a team like Collingwood (for example)

View attachment 1118444
Not successfully it seems:
Our skeleton socks were worn once - R6 2006 vs Carlton

57548800.jpg

simon-prestigiacomo-for-collingwood-in-action-during-the-round-six-picture-id57548921

View attachment 1118444

I distinctly remember this mad lad from watching highlights a long time ago – spiral stripes!
1620136795995.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back