Discussion Random Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diva was great until my father in law claimed her as the greatest race horse to come from Croatia.

Then I just lost interest...

Probably get quite a few fast horses there, they take being carnivorous seriously. I'd run fast too if I was a horse.

When we implemented ISO 14001 in our workplace, long long time ago now, one of the first things we did was eliminate the foam cups that were in use at the time. We bought cheap ceramic cups for around $1 and a dishwasher for a few hundred.
Saved money , and heaps of landfill.
Uses a bit of water, but the water ain't gone , it just runs into the ocean.

Whilst everything is going to help, things like this and recycling and cleans ups ect ect effectively mean crap until we stop PRODUCING plastic. We need to stop making the ****e.
That’s why when we go to shops, try your best not to buy plastic packaging, which is bloody hard to do. But I was in woolies the other day and saw this old guy pick up some bananas then put them into a plastic bag. Like seriously??

That was my point earlier, and some countries are way worse then us. You buy a bag of crisps or a can of coke and it goes into a bag, everything goes into a bag.
While i was visiting a customer in Thailand they were talking about how they were thinking of implementing ISO 14001. While we were talking a garbage truck drove by, it was full/overloaded and had plastic bags of refuge tied to the top of it, the bags were ripped and....lets just say you wouldn't want to drive behind it. My thoughts were, you don't need a certificate for a standard, you need your country to change its mindset.
When you see the flow in the river in Bankok ,its no wonder the ocean is full of plastic.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/b...lastic-holy-grail-recycling/story?id=62884758

Things have changed since I was a kid, and personally I like my plastic bags.

Back in the day most things were brought fresh daily at the local shops by mums who back then were much more likely to be homemakers. I’d get sent to the butchers and green grocers with the old string bags and you wrapped the rubbish up in newspaper and out everything went in two small bins.

People really didn’t eat that much crap even the fridges were small in comparision. Compare that to today everything is packed in something, both parents work and my trolleys is often full to the max. What am I supposed to put it in, hold on I’ll just bring out my bags while the line waiting gets longer and longer or I’ll just pay for what I was getting free 12 months ago.

I don’t get a paper these days and yep cutting down trees has an impact too, so I use the plastic bags as bin liners in the kitchen and out they go in the rubbish. I use the smaller ones etc to pack lunches and snacks I’m not chucking them in the gutter. So I have to find something to wrap my rubbish in or in the bin it goes stinking up the place more than normal thus requiring me to wash the bin more using more water here on the driest continent on earth.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t use more than I need to but it irks me that some people view it as a criminal act. It reminds me of my organic shopping solar panels to the max vote green neighbours. They also have 4 cars for 4 people, never walk when they can drive, run their air conditioning on every day over 18c and I can’t remember 1 year in the last 15 without multiple overseas trips. I don’t care personally until people start telling others what they can and can’t do.

Everything has some sort of cost either during or after production, imo people should just do their best. Littering is a different matter, it’s lazy, disrespectful and also illegal.

Whilst everything is going to help, things like this and recycling and cleans ups ect ect effectively mean crap until we stop PRODUCING plastic. We need to stop making the ****e.
That’s why when we go to shops, try your best not to buy plastic packaging, which is bloody hard to do. But I was in woolies the other day and saw this old guy pick up some bananas then put them into a plastic bag. Like seriously??

It's getting worse, I replaced the wiper blades on my wires car because the * wit mechanic didn't do it on the service just gone. Now they don't just make the rubber bit, they make a whole plastic arm that unclips. You throw away the whole assembly pretty much. We are getting more wasteful. Rubber breaks down and metal rusts but plastic lasts for hundreds of thousands of years.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/b...lastic-holy-grail-recycling/story?id=62884758

Things have changed since I was a kid, and personally I like my plastic bags.

Back in the day most things were brought fresh daily at the local shops by mums who back then were much more likely to be homemakers. I’d get sent to the butchers and green grocers with the old string bags and you wrapped the rubbish up in newspaper and out everything went in two small bins.

People really didn’t eat that much crap even the fridges were small in comparision. Compare that to today everything is packed in something, both parents work and my trolleys is often full to the max. What am I supposed to put it in, hold on I’ll just bring out my bags while the line waiting gets longer and longer or I’ll just pay for what I was getting free 12 months ago.

I don’t get a paper these days and yep cutting down trees has an impact too, so I use the plastic bags as bin liners in the kitchen and out they go in the rubbish. I use the smaller ones etc to pack lunches and snacks I’m not chucking them in the gutter. So I have to find something to wrap my rubbish in or in the bin it goes stinking up the place more than normal thus requiring me to wash the bin more using more water here on the driest continent on earth.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t use more than I need to but it irks me that some people view it as a criminal act. It reminds me of my organic shopping solar panels to the max vote green neighbours. They also have 4 cars for 4 people, never walk when they can drive, run their air conditioning on every day over 18c and I can’t remember 1 year in the last 15 without multiple overseas trips. I don’t care personally until people start telling others what they can and can’t do.

Everything has some sort of cost either during or after production, imo people should just do their best. Littering is a different matter, it’s lazy, disrespectful and also illegal.

They are reporting today that Aussies eat and drink a credit card worth of plastic very week. might be time to get rid of it.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/peo...rth-of-plastic-each-week-20190612-p51wx6.html

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
They are reporting today that Aussies eat and drink a credit card worth of plastic very week. might be time to get rid of it.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/peo...rth-of-plastic-each-week-20190612-p51wx6.html
It's actually based on a world wide survey. We have a better environment and eat less seafood according to the same story on the ABC. We have a power intake.

Microplastic in bottled water is an issue.

The other one is microfibers in our ocean's from excessive laundry.

There is evidence if this in fish.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox

Gringo we didn’t have a lot of plastic back in the day drinks came in glass and cans, meat from a butchers wrapped in paper not on a plastic tray etc.

It can be done but it comes at a price, the other thing is you might be surprised where that plastic in the food chain comes from. I watched a great doco on a study of plastics in fish in Sydney harbour, I expected it to be from litter breaking down if any. Well it wasn’t the contamination if you like came from the artificial fibres from unfiltered washing machines. I went out and purchased one for my bloody expensive machine, I have no idea why they don’t come fitted.

Anyway my daughter tells me that all the kids at school have metal drink bottles and lunch boxes so lots of parents are all over this. The thing is you have to do the science and take people with you, we just had an election where voters for whatever reason said we don’t believe/give a rats what a vocal minority shouts at us.

It’s up to governments backed by science to lead on these issues not vocal campaigners with one set of rules for themselves and another for everybody else. Next time you’re down at the beach in the morning take a look at that brown line out on the horizon, that’s smog. A friend of mine who was a ships captain told me of the cities he sailed to only LA was worse. Well around here as you know every second vehicle is a massive 5 seat suv often diesel, we’re all breathing that, smog, plastic etc it’s all the same problem imo.

That’s an interesting article but I’ll have a read of the actual research before I jump in feet first, paid for by the wwf and micro plastics are less than 5 millimetres. There’s lots of these studies and no standardisation, methodology, sampling how where etc.

VDS beat me to it.

Littlest Hobo

30hq5xj.jpg

I miss the crate delivery of 12 bottles of random drinks, change over every week empties out and replaced.

Certainly beats seeing plastic on shelves and lumping it, storing it then simply disposing of it.

It's actually based on a world wide survey. We have a better environment and eat less seafood according to the same story on the ABC. We have a power intake.

Microplastic in bottled water is an issue.

The other one is microfibers in our ocean's from excessive laundry.

There is evidence if this in fish.

Bottled water in Australia is just rubbish! ( Literally as well.)
We have some of the best water in the world.

Tip for any of you who actually do the clothes washing...
1 Tablespoon washing powder
2 Tablespoons bicarbonate of soda
And in the conditioner section 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar.

Does the trick and less polluted water as a result.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I miss the crate delivery of 12 bottles of random drinks, change over every week empties out and replaced.

Certainly beats seeing plastic on shelves and lumping it, storing it then simply disposing of it.
I'd miss it a whole lot more if it was 12 bottles of fine scotch whiskey!

Now there's a product that has never harmed a living soul on this beautiful earth! :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back