Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that the Australian government is starting to hint at quantitative easing as a policy option to combat a weakening in the economy. I wonder how much of that new money will be shared between the household, small business and big business. Or by sector how much will go to Infrastructure, Education, Health and Art as against Mining and Manufacture.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-07/reserve-bank-raises-prospect-of-rate-cuts-or-even-qe/10593562

It's a woeful solution.

Problem we are seeing is a massive credit squeeze by banks in terms of home loans, with over 40% of applications being declined.

Our economy is built on the housing industry and that's why they are shitting their pants with the declining market feeding into the rest of the economy.

I really hate to say this, but sometimes it's just better to met it adjust itself without intervention... Regardless of pain.

Christmas retail numbers will be telling.

We seriously need to start adapting to a new economy quickly or well just be swallowed up by foreign multinationals.

Unfortunately, people aren't prepared to take their medicine in order to do so.

It's a funny one with manufacturing cars. Most countries subsidise their auto industries to some degree, most because in war times manufacturing can be turned over to arms etc. We subsidised the industry in the billions but the tax return was higher than the subsidies and kept people employed. We subsidise mining and don't get much back for it and there are many fewer associated industries that feed off it.

Corporations won't leave because we tax them if they are profitable. It's just scaremongering. It's a problem with the capitalist model. To make everything cheaper you have to stop employing people, stop employing people and no one has money to buy the goods that you sell. Then you have to go global and start moving on to new countries who have workers who still earn a wage.

The idea that markets are a god like entity that makes choices has become an unquestioned idea.

Australia's new enterprise into space exploration is so naive, New Zealand have done really well to innovate by printing rocket engines in a 3D printer which saves huge money. I can't see what we are doing but trying to play catch up in an area we have nothing to offer that doesn't already exist.
Ah yes the good old mining industry...

Extracts our resources, takes profits overseas and pays little tax.

Bankrolls the LNP with Barnaby Beetrooter their biggest friend when he should be looking after farmers...

And the tax payer subsidises them.

Yet if you're on the dole, you're a double dipping leaner.

And heaven forbid if you're a refugee parasite...

Oh wait, let's blame the unions.

The Washington Post held a contest in which high school teachers sent in the “worst” analogies they’d encountered in grading their students’ papers. Analogies, similes, metaphors…they just keep getting worse.
Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the centre.
He was as tall as a 6′3″ tree.
Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had it two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you’re on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7.00 pm instead of 7.30.
John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.
She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.
The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.
He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.
Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. Coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.
The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife’s infidelity came as a rude shock,like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.
The lamp just sat there, like an inanimate object.
McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.
He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience,like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.
Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6.36 pm traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4.19 pm at a speed of 35 mph.
Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t.
Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.
The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.
They lived in a typical suburban neighbourhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan’s teeth.
He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River .
Even in his last years, Grand pappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.
He felt like he was being hunted down like a dog, in a place that hunts dogs, I suppose.
She was as easy as the TV Guide crossword.
She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.
The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.
“Oh, Jason, take me!” she panted, her breasts heaving like a college freshman on $1-a-beer night.
It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.
It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.
32 . He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.
The politician was gone but unnoticed, like the period after the Dr. on a Dr Pepper can.
Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.
Her date was pleasant enough, but she knew that if her life was a movie this guy would be buried in the credits as something like “Second Tall Man.”
The thunder was ominous-sounding, much like the sound of a thin sheet of metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play.
The red brick wall was the colour of a brick-red Crayola crayon.
She caught your eye like one of those pointy hook latches that used to dangle from screen doors and would fly up whenever you banged th e door open again.
Her pants fit her like a glove, well, maybe more like a mitten, actually.
Fishing is like waiting for something that does not happen very often.
They were as good friends as the people on “Friends.”
Oooo, he smells bad, she thought, as bad as Calvin Klein’s Obsession would smell if it were called Enema and was made from spoiled Spamburgers instead of natural floral fragrances.
The knife was as sharp as the tone used by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.) in her first several points of parliamentary procedure made to Rep. Henry Hyde (R-Ill.) in the House Judiciary Committee hearings on the impeachment of President William Jefferson Clinton.
He was as bald as one of the Three Stooges, either Curly or Larry, you know, the one who goes woo woo woo.
The sardines were packed as tight as the coach section of a 747.
Her eyes were shining like two marbles that someone dropped in mucus and then held up to catch the light.
The baseball player stepped out of the box and spit like a fountain statue of a Greek god that scratches itself a lot and spits brown, rusty tobacco water and refuses to sign autographs for all the little Greek kids unless they pay him lots of drachmas.
I felt a nameless dread. Well, there probably is a long German name for it, like Geschpooklichkeit or something, but I don’t speak German. Anyway, it’s a dread that nobody knows the name for,like those little square plastic gizmos that close your bread bags. I don’t know the name for those either.
She was as unhappy as when someone puts your cake out in the rain, and all the sweet green icing flows down and then you lose the recipe, and on top of that you can’t sing worth a damn.
Her artistic sense was exquisitely refined, like someone who can tell butter from I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter.
It came down the stairs looking very much like something no one had ever seen before.
Bob was as perplexed as a hacker who means to access T:flow.quid55328.com.aaakk/ch@ung but gets T:\flw.quidaaakk/ch@ung by mistake.
You know how in “Rocky” he prepares for the fight by punching sides of raw beef? Well, yesterday it was as cold as that meat locker he was in.
The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like an> oscillating electric fan set on medium.
Her lips were red and full, like tubes of blood drawn by an in attentive phlebotomist.
The sunset displayed rich, spectacular hues like a .jpeg file at 10 percent cyan, 10 percent magenta, 60 percent yellow and 10> percent black.

Go Saints
Absolute gold! Do you have a link?

Excuse my ignorance. Underbelly alternative or whats the go Drake?
Two, CR. The one nearly done is called "It's Good to be Good". It explores the anti ageing and health enhancing benefits of prosocial behaviour. Love, empathy, support, co operation, humour etc. These behaviours promote hormonal responses in the body which protect our DNA.

On the flip side, stress hormones, particularly Cortisol, directly damage our DNA causing mutations that lead to rapid ageing and the diseases that are its hallmarks. Diabetes Alzheimer's, cancers, and a raft of other degenerative diseases. Ageing is the number one cause of death in the world. It is a chronic condition we all suffer from and noone has ever survived it.

The aim is to prolong "health spans". The technology and techniques to significantly lengthen life spans already exist. Immortality is now theoretically possible.

The other one is about my family and the far reaching psychological effects of WW2 on it. A much harder task but it's not far off either.

Cheers Gringo, all sorts really. Staying in Docklands. One of my sons at Melb Uni so he will give some advice no doubt. But he is a student on a student budget!

Middling budget. I am very partial to Chinese food in Australia. In U.K. it is shocking. Spent many years in Hong Kong and Singapore, so I miss that more than most things!

If you fancy a good steak, Squires Loft in Dockland or South Yarra is very good.

It's a woeful solution.

Problem we are seeing is a massive credit squeeze by banks in terms of home loans, with over 40% of applications being declined.

Our economy is built on the housing industry and that's why they are shitting their pants with the declining market feeding into the rest of the economy.

I really hate to say this, but sometimes it's just better to met it adjust itself without intervention... Regardless of pain.

We seriously need to start adapting to a new economy quickly or well just be swallowed up by foreign multinationals.

I think when we turned our back on manufacturing we basically became a lot more reliant on the construction industry. It's not so much real estate but just construction as a whole.

It's why so many mine sites, hotels, office space, retail I.e. any development sites are quick to be approved. There's an absolute glut of hotels here. It's insane and they're building more. We need to keep pushing into other industries. Rather than continually pushing into them, then selling as soon as we are big enough and desirable enough to be acquired.

It's still easy to get a home loan if you are an owner occupier. It's not going to be easy if you are an investor or if you're looking to get finance for something else.

I read an interesting article the other day about interest rates and what's happening globally. Countries basically spent their entire reserve trying to stimulate the economy. For example the US government spent a bunch to recover the economy. Now that it's picked up they're finding it very difficult to claw that money back. They're raising interest rates but now they've put a halt on it out of fear of pushing everything too far.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...z511GKbAZWWK_NfcW0lGEoqlZiSOCqJvU&pfmredir=sm

I'd hate to see what's happening in melb and Sydney. Perth went through it's crash 3-4 years back. We've had the correction. But Sydney and Melbourne account for 55% of all homes. They had a boom to make ours look small. The correction is going to be very painful. Especially when you consider that 40% of all home loans were investor loans. 2/3 of those were on interest only. The switch to principal and interest over the next couple of years is going to swallow up some foolish punters. Given their own homes ain't worth what they were during the crazy east coast boom.

I didn't read the article but there was something today about the NT being in a load of strife financially.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

of our 3 kids, two had to take the formula, we had no choice due to medical reasons. the last one was breastfed. if there was a shortage when our kids needed it, it would have been seriously stressful given the circumstances and the potential ramifications.

so i'm with you.

its horrible.

but is anyone really surprised... no real empathy or compassion for their fellow human beings. anything to make a buck.
Supply and demand.

The Tory neo liberal Neanderthals would love it.

No such thing as community or compassion, just the market.

Victoria as a whole was first to reject this hate filled philosophy.

More to come as citizens get fed up with 'the market' as god.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Supply and demand.

The Tory neo liberal Neanderthals would love it.

No such thing as community or compassion, just the market.

Victoria as a whole was first to reject this hate filled philosophy.

More to come as citizens get fed up with 'the market' as god.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldn't agree more. We are losing sight of what's important.

Having said we've had something very interesting occur here over the last month. Surrounding the empathy and how you deal with issues in the community.

We've had two issues where community has basically had to take action into their own hands to force the authorities to act.

The first case involved a 9 year old boy from a bad home that was terrorising the neighbourhood. He was vandalizing homes, cars, assaulting women and children. Hurling abuse at people. Making death threats. The cops refused to charge him or act. The community at first were very empathetic. They could see the home he was in was bad. People thought he was being abused in some form and was lashing out. But the community eventually had enough and went public with it on social media and a prominent radio station here. As one of the ladies putting up with it said. She's been assaulted. Shes too scared to go outside with her young children and said the police need to act before someone takes matters into their own hands. She said although they have insurance which covers alot of the damage he does on a regular basis they still cop the premiums etc. Before Christmas it makes it very hard. That's from a house with a bread winner. Single parent families have not been so fortunate.

People were ready to go down there and hand out their own justice to a 9 year old. Not good. All because the authorities didn't want to act and uphold the law.

So the cops were forced to deal with it. The kid was seeing crying and screaming as he was loaded into a police car.

This week we had another situation with another problem home in a rough neighbourhood. Group of teens 9-15 from the one family or relatives of it were terrorising their neighbourhood. All were suspended and just not going to school. They were assaulting the elderly, the young and women. They were making threats of rape towards young girls. They were breaking and entering. They were destroying property. Smoking drugs. Drinking. Stealing. Again the police did not act.

Eventually a 16 year old girl had enough of being targeted. Took a baseball bat and proceeded to smash in their windows and take it to the kids.

Next day the cops were there with their biggest presence in a bad neighbourhood outside of house parties. Horses. Dogs. Vans. All because the community started to act when they didn't do the basics on upholding the law.

The problem kids were in the media that day with a machete saying it's the schools fault for suspending them for assaulting other kids. If they were in school they wouldn't be on the streets. Go figure.

So it appears the community is having a gutful of having to take on the burden. Expected to just suck it up and deal with it because the authorities and government don't give a s**t and can't be ****ed doing their job to protect their people.

Hopefully it's the start of us the community pushing back when things are not acceptable. Enoughs enough.

It's interesting that the Australian government is starting to hint at quantitative easing as a policy option to combat a weakening in the economy. I wonder how much of that new money will be shared between the household, small business and big business. Or by sector how much will go to Infrastructure, Education, Health and Art as against Mining and Manufacture.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-07/reserve-bank-raises-prospect-of-rate-cuts-or-even-qe/10593562

Economics is considered like some kind of mystical power that does it's own thing and we are all at the mercy of it. If people pay 70% of their wage to a mortgage and another 10% in bills for power and water, another chunk on transport and food then non essential consumptive retail goes south. Then you get overseas interests buy the power companies, food distribution, production etc and the profits end up overseas then the pool of money is ever shrinking, we then let the companies have tax breaks to encourage them to own them and then it shrinks more.

The big issue for falling house prices is that the car market is often bolstered by people using equity as a way to buy them, same with electrical and renovation products etc too.

It feels like a recession is coming pretty soon, good time to pay down as much as you can now. If rates rise a lot, it could crash pretty hard. Good governments start spending in recession to build infrastructure while things are quiet. The idea that we have to balance books was only invented when they wanted to sell our utilities.

Ah yes the good old mining industry...

Extracts our resources, takes profits overseas and pays little tax.

Bankrolls the LNP with Barnaby Beetrooter their biggest friend when he should be looking after farmers...

And the tax payer subsidises them.

Yet if you're on the dole, you're a double dipping leaner.

And heaven forbid if you're a refugee parasite...

Oh wait, let's blame the unions.

I liked Matt Canavan thanking the mining industry for letting him represent them. The politicians don't even pretend to represent the people any more.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/canavan-comes-minister-mining-sector-internet-gets-really-mad-65405/

It's a woeful solution.

It has to ease.
We don't have the wages inflation to afford to keeping pushing housing prices higher.

Retail is ****** too, we off shore that as well. We sell stuff here with GST, you can buy it all cheaper on Amazon or Ali Baba and so even retail stores are all closing. We are a country of service industries.

Yeah its swings and roundabouts.
People here wound up manufacturing because they could buy cheap crap out of china and sell it at hundreds of percent markup.
One the general public realized there was not 100's of percent value added by buying it at the ripoff merchant, and that they could buy their own cheap crap.... goodbye lucrative retail industry.

It's a funny one with manufacturing cars. Most countries subsidise their auto industries to some degree, most because in war times manufacturing can be turned over to arms etc. We subsidised the industry in the billions but the tax return was higher than the subsidies and kept people employed. We subsidise mining and don't get much back for it and there are many fewer associated industries that feed off it.

Corporations won't leave because we tax them if they are profitable. It's just scaremongering. It's a problem with the capitalist model. To make everything cheaper you have to stop employing people, stop employing people and no one has money to buy the goods that you sell. Then you have to go global and start moving on to new countries who have workers who still earn a wage.

The idea that markets are a god like entity that makes choices has become an unquestioned idea.

Australia's new enterprise into space exploration is so naive, New Zealand have done really well to innovate by printing rocket engines in a 3D printer which saves huge money. I can't see what we are doing but trying to play catch up in an area we have nothing to offer that doesn't already exist.

If tax is reasonable they wont leave.
But i thought the idea of taxing companies that Automate was opposite what should be happening. Its hard enough to invest in automation, but its what we need to be internationally competitive.

Economics is considered like some kind of mystical power that does it's own thing and we are all at the mercy of it. If people pay 70% of their wage to a mortgage and another 10% in bills for power and water, another chunk on transport and food then non essential consumptive retail goes south. Then you get overseas interests buy the power companies, food distribution, production etc and the profits end up overseas then the pool of money is ever shrinking, we then let the companies have tax breaks to encourage them to own them and then it shrinks more.

The big issue for falling house prices is that the car market is often bolstered by people using equity as a way to buy them, same with electrical and renovation products etc too.

It feels like a recession is coming pretty soon, good time to pay down as much as you can now. If rates rise a lot, it could crash pretty hard. Good governments start spending in recession to build infrastructure while things are quiet. The idea that we have to balance books was only invented when they wanted to sell our utilities.
Car market is in decline.

Balancing books was invented as an argument to used against the opposition when Costello had no idea how much was pouring in from the mining boom.

Debt has now doubled under their watch.

If tax is reasonable they wont leave.
But i thought the idea of taxing companies that Automate was opposite what should be happening. Its hard enough to invest in automation, but its what we need to be internationally competitive.
Tax is reasonable. Stop looking at the rate and start looking at the actual percentage paid.

I think the market in Melbourne is slowing but quality properties are still selling at good prices.

I am a Labor voter, but I am worried about the economic impacts of their negative gearing policy. The liberals are an absolute rabble currently though. This should be a key attack point for them given the Australian property addiction on a cultural and economic level .

It's still easy to get a home loan if you are an owner occupier. It's not going to be easy if you are an investor or if you're looking to get finance for something else.

We just bought and we had quite a bit of trouble getting approved for an owner occupier loan. Turnaround times are frustratingly slow, and run the risk of sales falling through. Seems to be an over correction on the banks part, they really built this rod for their own back.

I think the market in Melbourne is slowing but quality properties are still selling at good prices.

I am a Labor voter, but I am worried about the economic impacts of their negative gearing policy. The liberals are an absolute rabble currently though. This should be a key attack point for them given the Australian property addiction on a cultural and economic level .

We just bought and we had quite a bit of trouble getting approved for an owner occupier loan. Turnaround times are frustratingly slow, and run the risk of sales falling through. Seems to be an over correction on the banks part, they really built this rod for their own back.
Trust me, the market is rooted in Melbourne.

Only well priced properties are selling.

Up until the September quarter, the median has pulled back 7%. It's almost January.

And it has further to drop IMO.

Agree about the banks. I've had 4 dales fall over this month due to finance.

The changes to neg gearing will be fine mate. It will direct capital to new properties causing demand and jobs. It's not retrospective and frankly I don't like subsidising others with my tax money.

Where else do you get rewarded by tax payers for investing at a loss?

In terms of value, if I take hit, I take a hit. That's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back