Universal Love Ranking the best Port Adelaide players of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

A slight spin on it, if you could grab one (obviously not already on our list), as an 20 year old and has had a couple of years of our current coaching / fitness system (to have an AFL fitness base) who'd get a gig? You'd think suitability to the modern game would rule out quite a few of the lumbering KPP's. On that criteria an young Warren Tredrea would have to come out ahead. Already covered a s**t load of ground, you could easily picture him and Dixon destroying teams, oppositions wouldn't be able to double or triple team them both.

A slight spin on it, if you could grab one (obviously not already on our list), as an 20 year old and has had a couple of years of our current coaching / fitness system (to have an AFL fitness base) who'd get a gig? You'd think suitability to the modern game would rule out quite a few of the lumbering KPP's. On that criteria an young Warren Tredrea would have to come out ahead. Already covered a s**t load of ground, you could easily picture him and Dixon destroying teams, oppositions wouldn't be able to double or triple team them both.
Tantalising thought.

Ken would not play them both

Yeah, much as I hate him now. He was a machine and basically was Collingwood for a decade. Almost the perfect midfielder even by today's physical requirements. But hated him for not coming back when he had the chance.

One of the most dominant single seasons in SANFL, let alone club history. In fact, there's another poll for us. Best individual season you've seen? Mine:

1. Hodges 1990 - MM, B&F, KFM, 153 goals (league record), Flag
2. Buckley 1992 - MM, B&F, JOM, Flag
3. Tredrea 2004 - AFLCA MVP, B&F, AA CHF, SM, Flag
4. Gray 2014 - AFLCA MVP, B&F, AA HFF

One of the most dominant single seasons in SANFL, let alone club history. In fact, there's another poll for us. Best individual season you've seen? Mine:

1. Hodges 1990 - MM, B&F, KFM, 153 goals (league record), Flag
2. Buckley 1992 - MM, B&F, JOM, Flag
3. Tredrea 2004 - AFLCA MVP, B&F, AA CHF, SM, Flag
4. Gray 2014 - AFLCA MVP, B&F, AA HFF

Tredrea 2004 was pure class - and finally proof that the Brownlow was a midfielders award.

Tredrea 2004 was pure class - and finally proof that the Brownlow was a midfielders award.

When the winner basically admits he nicked it from you, you know you've been stiffed.

Is Tim Evans the most underrated full forward in the history of the game? Even within our club its either Tredrea or Hodges. Evans hardly gets a mention...anywhere?

His company

1000 goals in WAFL, VFL, SANFL, TFL
  1. Peter Hudson (1,721)
  2. Ken Farmer (1,417)
  3. Tony Lockett (1,360)
  4. Gordon Coventry (1,299)
  5. Austin Robertson, Jr. (1,271)
  6. Jason Dunstall (1,254)
  7. Ted Tyson (1,196)
  8. George Doig (1,095)
  9. Tim Evans (1,070)
  10. Doug Wade (1,057)
  11. Bernie Naylor (1,034)
  12. Gary Ablett, Sr. (1,030)
Anyone lucky enough to get to see him play during the late 1970's and early 1980's?

Legit the 9th highest goal kicker in the history of senior league football.

The big bearded wonder. Was a powerfully built key position player who knew how to position his body in one on one contests to take a grab. The timing and positioning of his leading was impeccable. He would lead out then lean forward into the mark so the full back had virtually no chance to spoil. In his younger days, he had a fair leap and could take a hanger too. As he came to the club as a CHB his ground level play was serviceable. He was no Bucky Cunningham but no Titanic either. He probably enjoyed his snapped goals more than any :D And of course he was a deadly kick for goal.

He was well-served by Jack Cahill knowing how to clear out a forward line for a big target, with CHF's who took a key defender out of contests. And he was on the end of delivery from the likes of Ebert, Cunningham, Cahill, Clifford, Belton, Light, Kinnear, Abernethy etc over the years.

Bomber Clifford gave himself the nickname 'Dr. Kildare' for a while because he claimed he was intravenously feeding the forwards. :D

The big bearded wonder. Was a powerfully built key position player who knew how to position his body in one on one contests to take a grab. The timing and positioning of his leading was impeccable. He would lead out then lean forward into the mark so the full back had virtually no chance to spoil. In his younger days, he had a fair leap and could take a hanger too. As he came to the club as a CHB his ground level play was serviceable. He was no Bucky Cunningham but no Titanic either. He probably enjoyed his snapped goals more than any :D And of course he was a deadly kick for goal.

He was well-served by Jack Cahill knowing how to clear out a forward line for a big target, with CHF's who took a key defender out of contests. And he was on the end of delivery from the likes of Ebert, Cunningham, Cahill, Clifford, Belton, Light, Kinnear, Abernethy etc over the years.

Bomber Clifford gave himself the nickname 'Dr. Kildare' for a while because he claimed he was intravenously feeding the forwards. :D

Great summary!

Does anyone know who made those PAFC History videos? Club needs to do the same.

As a supporter since 1975, the first 6 players I would pick to win a grand final tommorow
Russell Ebert
Greg Phillips
Craig Bradley
Scott Hodges
Gavin Wanganeen
Warren Tredrea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still have wonderful visions of Mots running out with those bandy legs flailing away. Could say he won the 1957 GF v Norwood when he was moved to the forward line. Need to check how many goals he kicked. I think he was against Peter Koerner (spelling)when playing centre in that game.

Great player and even better human being.
His son Peter would have been right up there if not for his tragic accident. Remember seeing him play on Ablett at footy park in a state game and giving him a bath and this was when GA was at his best.

Greg Anderson, 1986.
Played in his own league that year.
Still wasn't good enough to win the B&F, lol...

Tom Clurey's dad had a top year though :p

Greg Anderson, 1986.
Played in his own league that year.
Still wasn't good enough to win the B&F, lol...

I was a bit too young to remember/acknowledge him on the first go-round, but had a massive soft spot for him along with all the Port guys plying their trade away from Albetr0n circa late 80's/early 90's.

A real shame that he was cooked by the time we fulfilled our destiny of the AFL licence, but adored that he finally got a premiership medallion or two having put Buckley's later flag avoidance to shame. Walk with me:

First Port stint

IMG_4231.JPG

Debuts in 1983, one full season after most recent PAFC flag in 1981.

Plays in losing GF in 1984.

Leaves for Essendon after 1987, immediately missing Port's flags in 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1992.

Essendon career

IMG_4232.JPG

Debuts in 1988, two full seasons after most recent EFC flag in 1985.

Plays in losing GF in 1990.

Leaves for Adelaide after 1992, immediately missing Essendon's flag in 1993.

Adelaide career

IMG_4233.JPG

Debuts in 1993.

Plays in losing PF in 1993 - to ex-club Essendon, despite leading by 42 points at half time.

Retires at the end of 1996, immediately missing Adelaide's flags in 1997 and 1998.

Second Port stint

Re-debuts in 1995, immediately after PAFC's most recent flag in 1994.

Qualifies to play in finals for the Maggies under the SANFL's rules for AFL-listed players.

PLAYS IN 1995 PREMIERSHIP (Named on interchange).

And does it again the year after!

PLAYS IN 1996 PREMIERSHIP (Named on wing).

IMG_4234.JPG

I was a bit too young to remember/acknowledge him on the first go-round, but had a massive soft spot for him along with all the Port guys plying their trade away from Albetr0n circa late 80's/early 90's.

A real shame that he was cooked by the time we fulfilled our destiny of the AFL licence, but adored that he finally got a premiership medallion or two having put Buckley's later flag avoidance to shame. Walk with me:

Pretty sure I've still got that exact same autographed photo somewhere.

Can still remember his blistering debut on the wing as a 16yo against Sturt.

So glad he got those premierships at the end of his career.

Would've loved an early-90s Port AFL centreline with Ando and Braddles, maybe even a young Bucks.

Saw him at a Port game a while back and he was still rocking a magnificent mullet...

...and 1996 prelim
Anyone got any info of his performance in the 1990 prelim v Nth Adel? From memory Port lost to Glenelg in the 2nd Semi and were beginning to be questioned as to whether they could come back and win the GF. Port were kicking to our end (Sth) in the first qtr and the whole team but particularly Hodges were breathing fire and completely demoralised Nth in that first qtr kicking 10 goals to 1. I think he ended up with 11 or 13 goals for the match where we ended up winning by over 90 points. It's one of the most stunning individual performances I have witnessed. It was a savage response to the week before and poor Nth Adel copped the brunt of it. They must have wondered what they had done to deserve two of the most humiliating defeats in finals history in consecutive years considering what happened the year before :p

Would've loved an early-90s Port AFL centreline with Ando and Braddles, maybe even a young Bucks.

Speaking of which, here's some food for thought.

1980-2000

B: G. Wanganeen ~ D. Wakelin ~ D. Hughes
HB: S. Burgoyne ~ M. Leslie ~ C. Enright
C: C. Bradley ~ N. Buckley ~ G. Anderson
HF: B. Pickett ~ W. Tredrea ~ A. Didak
F: D. Brown ~ S. Hodges ~ C. Waterhouse
R: D. Hynes ~ P. Burgoyne ~ A. McLeod
IC: M. Wilson, D. Mead, S. Tregenza, S. Thompson

Stick your Calder Cannons footy factory up your arse.

Anyone got any info of his performance in the 1990 prelim v Nth Adel? From memory Port lost to Glenelg in the 2nd Semi and were beginning to be questioned as to whether they could come back and win the GF. Port were kicking to our end (Sth) in the first qtr and the whole team but particularly Hodges were breathing fire and completely demoralised Nth in that first qtr kicking 10 goals to 1. I think he ended up with 11 or 13 goals for the match where we ended up winning by over 90 points. It's one of the most stunning individual performances I have witnessed. It was a savage response to the week before and poor Nth Adel copped the brunt of it. They must have wondered what they had done to deserve two of the most humiliating defeats in finals history in consecutive years considering what happened the year before :p

Yeah, 13 goals sounds about right.

Almost kicked off down the Southern end late in the game

The North cheer squad, or "Grog Squad" or whatever they're called, started a "Julie's a ****!" chant in reference to Scotty's then girlfriend, also Jack's daughter.

Not surprisingly, Port supporters fired up.

From memory, red coats and cops had to stand between the two supporter groups before it got out of hand...

1980-2000

love the line up but Clive?

1980-2000

Choco would have to get a guernsey if we're taking into account his VFL career. And I'd squeeze Abba in there, too. Browny & Trigger would be my unlucky emergencies...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back