Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well shit has gotten very real hasn't it.

7-0 we were flying.

7-3 and its over.

Losses to Demons. Port and now a spifflocation by GCS has shown we have issues.. 64 of them actually.

IMO the issue are bad - blown up by bad attitudes, bad umpiring, unfamiliar conditions, a quality and fired up opposition, a bad MF performance

and the good news is we only have to face and beat GWS this week to avoid 4 straight losses.

At least its Tomma's 356th game for the club which is a massive record and he gets to do it at home.

Both he and Jezza should be back. Mitch Duncan too - and they'd want to get it done for him but we're gonna need some quality injection of skill and guile from somewhere to be in the hunt for this one.

Its not impossible but will require a far better performance than the last month and the biggest question there is where will it come from?
Hardie, Mannagh kicking the VFL door down have earned the chance and after the tripe the MF offered of late, they can't really do much worse.

Get it done for Tom Hawkins boys.

GEt it done.

GO Catters

Out: tuohy neale parfitt cuthrie rohan (all omitted) dempsey (managed)

In: hawkins cameron duncan sdk mannagh hardie

Id play conway again if he can back up.
Dempsey is due to be managed although maybe we try to get him through to the bye
Id omit henry if we didnt need a tall back

Id love to see Chris Scott make a point and drop both Cam Guthrie and Jack Henry.... or even 1 of them. Just to put a bit of scare in all of the boys to say every player is on notice..

2018 is the last time we've beaten GWS at K.P. Need to really play the role of the hunter and get back on the horse. I don't mind if Geelong does 'manage' one of Cuthrie or J.Henry, we need some pace and ball-getting power in the team. No doubt Toby Greene, who up until yesterday had been pretty average this season, will come back to form, he loves playing us.

Just have to start well and just be strong, need to regain the desire and belief of earlier in the year.

This game really couldn't have come at a better time to properly test our 2024 credentials. We'll be up against:

An opponent that has been considered a real flag threat for this season.
A team with a midfield that will look appreciably better than ours (doesn't take much, I know).
An opposition that has embarrassed us the last three times we've played them on our home ground.
A club that is undoubtedly desperate to curtail a worrying form slump of their own.

I actually think this game will tell us plenty about the remainder of our season. Win here and we stay in some sort of shape to possibly contend later in the year. Lose this one and I could see us threatening last year's ladder position before the year is out.

Couldn't be more crucial for mine. And we do come in with a few factors that might work in our favour:

Three days of extra rest over our opposition.
Some quality inclusions likely to return to the 23.
The games record for our club being broken by one T. Hawkins.

I absolutely understand that posters will suggest my take on all this is far too simplistic. But I think losing this one already means the season isn't going to amount to much. Whereas winning puts us back in amongst it, at least for now. Sounds crazily binary, of course. But I do see this game as that pivotal.

Strangely enough, after the relative dross of recent weeks and the utter horror that was our Darwin debacle, I actually feel somewhat confident that we might roll up and give it a shake this week. And if a few senior players have to cop the 'shock omission' tag to accommodate that, that's fine with me.

In any case, I'm really keen to see a response from the group after some quite disappointing performances. And if we don't get that response (and the four points), I think that tells you all you need to know about our realistic prospects for season 2024.

Just win, Geelong.

Just. Win.

Anyone thinking we’ll get up because of the ‘record’ is deluding themselves. We know CS is a great coach, we’ll soon find out if he’s a great manager.

I dont think we will get up bc of that but the fact that gws are in poor form makes me think we will IF cameron plays.

It's time to reward Hardie and Mannagh. Both playing good football in the VFL and its time to reward players who been playing good footy
I have never been one to push that Hardie should be getting a game... But if he doesn't this week, we should start questioning why he was recruited in the first place.

The midfield is terrible.
We have lost 3 in a row so it's not like bringing him in would mess with a winning team.
We have been rotating players in and out.
Clark playing 6 quarters in last few days is due for a week off.
Danger out, Guthrie looking cooked, Parf just going, Atkins just going.

Hardie has been good enough and consistent enough, I'm not sure he can do much more.

I'm not saying I think he will come in and get the job done... Just that it's about time to give him a game.

It's time to reward Hardie and Mannagh. Both playing good football in the VFL and its time to reward players who been playing good footy
Would rather see Humphries and COS than Hardie and Mannagh personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: tuohy neale parfitt cuthrie rohan (all omitted) dempsey (managed)

In: hawkins cameron duncan sdk mannagh hardie

Id play conway again if he can back up.
Dempsey is due to be managed although maybe we try to get him through to the bye
Id omit henry if we didnt need a tall back
I think they should let Dempsey back up a good game.

Deserved or not, hard to see the MC dropping Rohan or Cuthrie. I’d like Neale to stay in for Rohan but I doubt it.

I’d like to see Mannagh again but IMO not a huge area of need - more worried about a contested mid to stop easy, clean oppo clearances turning into uncontested marks in their f50.

KPPs forward and back who can take a contested mark would also be handy, getting absolutely wrecked at marking contests in both arcs the last 3 weeks.

Would rather see Humphries and COS than Hardie and Mannagh personally.

I'd like to see all four get a run, but I think fitting that quartet plus SDK, Hawkins and Cameron is going overboard a bit.

I have never been one to push that Hardie should be getting a game... But if he doesn't this week, we should start questioning why he was recruited in the first place.

The midfield is terrible.
We have lost 3 in a row so it's not like bringing him in would mess with a winning team.
We have been rotating players in and out.
Clark playing 6 quarters in last few days is due for a week off.
Danger out, Guthrie looking cooked, Parf just going, Atkins just going.

Hardie has been good enough and consistent enough, I'm not sure he can do much more.

I'm not saying I think he will come in and get the job done... Just that it's about time to give him a game.

100 %.
Im not sure he will make it but hes earnt a game and there needs to be merit in selection.

I think they should let Dempsey back up a good game.

Deserved or not, hard to see the MC dropping Rohan or Cuthrie. I’d like Neale to stay in for Rohan but I doubt it.

I’d like to see Mannagh again but IMO not a huge area of need - more worried about a contested mid to stop easy, clean oppo clearances turning into uncontested marks in their f50.

KPPs forward and back who can take a contested mark would also be handy, getting absolutely wrecked at marking contests in both arcs the last 3 weeks.

Im more convinced we need mannagh after watching us blindly bomb long into our f50 the other night. We need guys who can use the ball and he can.

Cuthrie needs to be out because hes either injured or needs time in the 2s to find form.

Dempsey would be load management if hes right to go keep him going but it would be understandable if he needs a rest this week.

Figured Cam could get back to a high level but looks a way off, needs a run in the VFL. Really should be giving Hardie and Man a run through the middle not mans position but looks hungry and a hard nut.

This game really couldn't have come at a better time to properly test our 2024 credentials. We'll be up against:

An opponent that has been considered a real flag threat for this season.
A team with a midfield that will look appreciably better than ours (doesn't take much, I know).
An opposition that has embarrassed us the last three times we've played them on our home ground.
A club that is undoubtedly desperate to curtail a worrying form slump of their own.

I actually think this game will tell us plenty about the remainder of our season. Win here and we stay in some sort of shape to possibly contend later in the year. Lose this one and I could see us threatening last year's ladder position before the year is out.

Couldn't be more crucial for mine. And we do come in with a few factors that might work in our favour:

Three days of extra rest over our opposition.
Some quality inclusions likely to return to the 23.
The games record for our club being broken by one T. Hawkins.

I absolutely understand that posters will suggest my take on all this is far too simplistic. But I think losing this one already means the season isn't going to amount to much. Whereas winning puts us back in amongst it, at least for now. Sounds crazily binary, of course. But I do see this game as that pivotal.

Strangely enough, after the relative dross of recent weeks and the utter horror that was our Darwin debacle, I actually feel somewhat confident that we might roll up and give it a shake this week. And if a few senior players have to cop the 'shock omission' tag to accommodate that, that's fine with me.

In any case, I'm really keen to see a response from the group after some quite disappointing performances. And if we don't get that response (and the four points), I think that tells you all you need to know about our realistic prospects for season 2024.

Just win, Geelong.

Just. Win.
To think just a month ago many people people had this as a Grand Final match up in waiting.

Now, it looks like the loser is unlikely to finish top 4 come seasons end.

While the form we're in is certainly alarming, the one benefit is if we can turn this around, we'll be on a hot streak when it matters.

I'd prefer that over what Port did last year. Had everything going perfectly and then fell apart at round 18.

Whether we're contenders or pretenders remains to be seen, as even the most positive and negative supporters would have to acknowledge we've shown heavy signs of both so far...but we were always going to have a form slump at some point.

I'd rather it in May than Late July/August.

Small observation, we need to have it drilled into us to ‘play the seconds’ as Collingwood put it.

The last three weeks we’ve given up soft goals. Jack Henry thought the ball was going out v Melbourne and allowed Fritsch to run onto it and kick the sealer. In the Port and Suns games we allowed our opponents to save the ball on the goal line and tap it in for a teammate to kick a goal, while our defenders stood around waiting for a kick in.

Just a sign that we haven’t been 100% switched on. I was at the Collingwood game yesterday and noticed how much they celebrate their teammates’ spoils, smothers and 1%ers. That’s what we do at our best - Jezza is the best teammate in the league for this stuff - but we need everybody to be doing it.

I’m happy to be playing GWS this week and not having a soft kill, they are in worse form than us but will no doubt bring their A game to KP. Will we be ready for it?

From what I seen of Hardie last year I’m not fussed about him getting a game. Mannagh too me looks like he has tools to be an effective afl player, would prefer he plays.
NB have not watched vfl this year to judge Hardie on his current output

Playing Mr nice guy in the tackle is costing us games,go full on blood sport this weekend tackle hard to the ground make GWS earn it, tuff if a player or two get the odd suspension between now and the end of August but if we are to have any hope of going deep into finals tiggy tackling won't do it.

Small observation, we need to have it drilled into us to ‘play the seconds’ as Collingwood put it.

The last three weeks we’ve given up soft goals. Jack Henry thought the ball was going out v Melbourne and allowed Fritsch to run onto it and kick the sealer. In the Port and Suns games we allowed our opponents to save the ball on the goal line and tap it in for a teammate to kick a goal, while our defenders stood around waiting for a kick in.

Just a sign that we haven’t been 100% switched on. I was at the Collingwood game yesterday and noticed how much they celebrate their teammates’ spoils, smothers and 1%ers. That’s what we do at our best - Jezza is the best teammate in the league for this stuff - but we need everybody to be doing it.

I’m happy to be playing GWS this week and not having a soft kill, they are in worse form than us but will no doubt bring their A game to KP. Will we be ready for it?
Yes, the Jack Henry effort on Fritsch got glossed over due to Fritsch’s brilliance.. it was a poor effort from Jack not to kill that contest

Im more convinced we need mannagh after watching us blindly bomb long into our f50 the other night. We need guys who can use the ball and he can.

Cuthrie needs to be out because hes either injured or needs time in the 2s to find form.

Dempsey would be load management if hes right to go keep him going but it would be understandable if he needs a rest this week.
We still kicked 100 points against the Suns, 95 against Port. Out forwards are so good that even with our current mids we can kick winning scores. Another small forward who can give good delivery is not a priority IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back