Autopsy Rd 3 Insipid Loss to Carlton (Be Civil)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentally ok - because I turned it off before half time.

Classic freo before then and saw nothing from JLo that was able to slow or adjust the momentum

Poor coaching and we started the loss at the selection table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JLo needs to come out and own it, if not in the presser than during the week. If I hear anyone from the club especially him mention that it was only one quarter we were blown away on the scoreboard....

Negatives I’m sure everyone will cover comprehensively but for me
A) Cox is not capable of playing on the monster forwards, we need one of Hamling or preferably Pearce fit.
B) Arrogant selection committee, Darcy is a part time goal square FF and thinking he could be anything other than a part time option was delusional and nauseating.

A is the lesson for me from this one. Need one of AP/Hammer but not both otherwise we're too tall. That's the perfect balance I think.

B is like a 5 year issue and it's not only selection. It's recruitment, selection, development and coaching. At various points we've fixed one or two of those issues then sat on our laurels. Frustrating that it just keeps being the issue.

Smashed in the centre, long to a contest on a wing, no contested marks in forward line.

Only positives I saw was freddy and chapman after half time. Chappy stepped up when Young went off and did a reasonable job.

What a f*king dismal performance. I'm sick of us rolling over and making soft frontrunners look like premiership contenders.

Just a putrid display. No system other than to kick it long down the line and get dominated in the air over and over again. Makes the decision to leave Treacy in the stands even more mystifying. It's clearly an area of weakness yet a key marking forward kicking 7 in the WAFL isn't enough to decide he might be worth getting some games into? So sick of us spoon feeding intercept backmen from the opposition 15 marks every week.

And to add insult to injury, how hard were the umps riding Carlton? 29 frees to 19 and I reckon a decent % of that discrepancy can be put down to ridiculously soft s**t that we weren't getting the other way.

Struggling to find any positives out of that. Maybe that we fought the game out? Yay, love rolling over and then 'fighting out' games once they're already over to avoid utter humiliation. Chapman's 2nd half was promising I suppose, though he got dominated in the 1st half.

We'll probably come out and win at home next week but hard to get enthused when we'll no doubt just roll over again as soon as we're challenged on the road after that. Hard to see us out of the bottom 4 atm. Only North and GWS look worse really.

Worrying how easily they took away our entire game plan , which seemed to be Darcy making a contest up the line or in the forward fifty. This was amplified by the midfield getting smashed all game. Defence never stood a chance given the amount of entries and the control Carlton had in the middle.

I get the team selection logic off the back of a good win the week prior but surely when you have forwards kicking bags in 2s the B graders get dropped to make way. Bombing long to short people/rucks is a dumb game plan.

Ok, great idea instead - let's bomb it long to midget rucks!! Guaranteed success, right?

Seriously, it was all about the midfield. We did nothing positive or structured through the midfield for over 3 quarters. Won't win no matter what the forwards or backs do when you are always second to the ball or having soft tackles broken easily.

I've learnt my lesson and stopped watching us play away games. I had my sister and her kids over for lunch and they just left. Was a great day. Just checked the score and shrugged my shoulders. They'll come out during the week and say "we need to be better, blah, blah, blah". Then beat Hawthorn. Then lose to Adelaide. Then say "we need to be better, blah, blah, blah". Then beat North. Then lose to WC. Entirely predictable up to the end of Rd 7. The question will be what happens once we have to start playing some better sides at home.
You’re right & we need to address our away form this season, can’t just keep doing the same thing & expect different results. We’ve got to do some homework on it & implement change.

With a wide open midfield I think he might anyway.

Nope. He might kick 3 with the kind of service he was getting but there is no way he gets so much space and separation on the lead. Pearce and Hamling also know how to marshall a defence and would have told Ryan, Wilson, etc. to man the space so he doesn't have the room to lead into. Cox is not a natural defender- he is a forward. He doesn't have that kind of intelligence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain how our midfield got smashed tonight.
Too much Easter chocolate on the flight over.
Caught up in their own good press from last week.
Fired up opposition midfield with lots to prove.
No Fyfe.

I was happy with last year , we gave consistent effort for the first time in ages. If we had a bad quarter we could fight our way back into it

Bah maybe I’m over invested

Time to diversify

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Nope. He might kick 3 with the kind of service he was getting but there is no way he gets so much space and separation on the lead. Pearce and Hamling also know how to marshall a defence and would have told Ryan, Wilson, etc. to man the space so he doesn't have the room to lead into. Cox is not a natural defender- he is a forward. He doesn't have that kind of intelligence.
Betts was getting away with absolute bullshit screening and bloocking our defenders. He was practically tackling them to get McKay free and the umps did bugger all about it.

A. Play Henry in the WAFL and make him force his way into the team
B. Drop Acres into Peel
C. Bring in Treacy, Sturt
Henry, whilst having the talent, is not going to benefit from being sub and/or playing AFL. His morale would get a hit each week. Play full time WAFL, build that fitness and confidence against men

Starting to wonder if we are one of those young teams that looks almost finals worthy at home but spoon worthy on the road.

Massive disparity in intensity between the two teams, which you could see coming a mile away but we weren't able to do anything about.

Also stop blaming the umps, we got smashed because they comprehensively outplayed us.

How is our match committee so useless?

Also, we're not in a position to just "reward" players after a win and back them in the next week. If we're a team that actually wants to continue winning and trying to do the best, we shouldn't be undermining the idea of selection competition for a young side - and should always be looking for ways to improve after not just losses but wins. We're not good enough to go about this how we have, injuries or not in mind.

I think people also need to realise that Carlton lost games to last years premier and Collingwood after they were baked in the press. They are a better team than us at the moment with the current squad availability. Get used to it

Just chill people’s
This was always on the cards
No way Carlton we’re going 0/3
We spent the week reading our own press ignoring the fact GWS were witches hats
It’s what Freo do
We played the game out , that’s a positive
Longmuir is just about to feel his first blowtorch being applied, rightly so
It’s all about how we react next week

In the end, this is pretty much where the sentiments should be. This was always on the cards, need to bounce back next week. Hopefully JLo has learned a lot from today and the kids learned a good lesson about what it takes to be competitive and hard football team.

I don't think next week is good enough however: Have to carry the lesson from today over the next 3 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back