Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was Teague, I'd tell all the players to bring their mouthguards to training this week to let them realise what hardness is.
That would only last for a week then we go back to our old selves, because we don’t and never have for many a moon demand this every week as a non negotiable, we don’t teach set these standards as a team
to show the way for the kids coming through by example, we seem to continue to except mediocrity in this department...
Coaches and player driven?????

That was just one passage of play, and I might be wrong. But it didn't look like one of his worst games for us. We play someone under done what do you expect
Underdone? Hasn't he had 3-4 weeks in the VFL? He completed most of pre-season but got injured towards the end didn't he? If he's not fit then he shouldn't put his hand up to play.

* me dead when do the excuses stop for these guys?

He's not alone, but efforts like this were the norm last night, I'd love to see footage from above, it was a ******* mess.

That would only last for a week then we go back to our old selves, because we don’t and never have for many a moon demand this every week as a non negotiable, we don’t teach set these standards as a team
to show the way for the kids coming through by example, we seem to continue to except mediocrity in this department...
Coaches and player driven?????

Agrre. Hard to do when someone like Murphy gets a game each week - how can you preach toughness and competitiveness when he plays each week?

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Crows and Freo both showed they are already ahead of us today. Pitiful player development and recruitment by us.

Underdone? Hasn't he had 3-4 weeks in the VFL? He completed most of pre-season but got injured towards the end didn't he? If he's not fit then he shouldn't put his hand up to play.

fu** me dead when do the excuses stop for these guys?

He's not alone, but efforts like this were the norm last night, I'd love to see footage from above, it was a ******* mess.
Cripps walks, Jones in that play was doing nothing, Murphy nothing, someone was having a go about Williamson before and didn't mention that Fogarty didn't move from his spot while his opponent ran the length of the ground. The only player who doesn't walk is Walsh.

But yeah, it's all Gov's fault

Look at the pressure real small forwards like Kysiah Pickett put on. Possessions for opponents in our forward line are under 0% pressure. Other teams have harassers which create turnovers, ours do sweet FA.
We did improve this area last year seems we have regressed back to almost as it was at the end of the bolton days .
Dont think its any coincidence its also since a Murphy move forward .

He played 2 VFL games on restricted minutes (3/4 of each game I heard) and I think he'd missed around 7-8 weeks.

I agree there's plenty not doing enough, for now, Gov is number 6 or 7 on my list of needing a kick up the bum.

Cripps walks, Jones in that play was doing nothing, Murphy nothing, someone was having a go about Williamson before and didn't mention that Fogarty didn't move from his spot while his opponent ran the length of the ground. The only player who doesn't walk is Walsh.

But yeah, it's all Gov's fault

Geez you make up s**t - where did I say it's all Govs fault? Read again.

This stuff was absolutely rife last night (from plenty of our players). Top clubs would never put up with this, I dare say it almost goes unchecked with us.

The footage I referenced was just an example, it could've been any player at any time last night; some of the efforts were pathetic.

Oh well, game was over, sh*t happens. You could point this out on just about every side who loses a game, including Richmond.

It was a frustrating game but just wanted to point out amongst the doom and gloom that we are 2-3 but two of the losses were against Richmond and Port who are clearly two of the best teams this year and serious contenders.

Collingwood loss looks bad now but at the time they had zero injuries...they only lost to the dogs by 16 points in Rd 1 and to Brisbane by 1 point after our game. Theyve fallen away now after further injuries. We were definitely off that game.

We dominated the dockers and gold coast. Dockers currently 3-2.

We have a shitload of injuries and we actually had more scoring shots than Port. Some guys probably do need to be dropped or are playing sore but we don't have adequate replacements due to injuries.

We're still very much in the finals hunt imo. I think outside the dogs, the other teams above us like Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide etc will drop to a lower level throughout the year.

He played 2 VFL games on restricted minutes (3/4 of each game I heard) and I think he'd missed around 7-8 weeks.

I agree there's plenty not doing enough, for now, Gov is number 6 or 7 on my list of needing a kick up the bum.
Fair enough. I didn't think he added much last night - he could've got dangerous with all the effort Port put into McKay, but he faded in and out as per usual.

He had some weak efforts like the rest of the team. Shift him down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez you make up sh*t - where did I say it's all Govs fault? Read again.

The footage I referenced was just an example, it could've been any player at any time last night; some of the efforts were pathetic.
In that play (I can't rewatch it atm), doesn't Gov at least go in-between the ball and the goals? Isn't that a good place to position yourself? I hate seeing opp players dribble through goals...

4 major issues for me....

1- Effort, willingness, desperation, energy or hunger to get involved and impact when we don’t have the ball is severely disproportionate to when we have the ball or have a chance to get involved or impact offensively.

2- Decision making, poor choices and generally just do some of the dumbest things you would ever want to see on a football field.

3- Skill execution is very poor all over the ground, kicking, handballing, marking, tackling etc just nowhere near the required level.

4- Positional or Role play.
Until we recruit, develop & select players in our best 22 each week that are capable of performing the above “3 points” at an above average standard we won’t see us in a position to legitimately contend for flag #17 for a while yet.

*At the moment we are not recruiting well, not developing well and appear to pick our weekly team based on a criteria of players with highest profile or friendships and then try to manoeuvre those players into positions instead of selecting the best player to perform the requirements of that particular on field role.
First 4 points spot on...
here is another good example in link below (40 sec mark). burst speed and kicks truly crossing into f50. he can obviously do amazing things so he has it in him. one way or another the club needs to get him back to his best and beyond.

Get in some new assistant/line coaches that can develop him and others properly individually and the group they are in charge of, or we will quite possibly stuff up more young careers along with our overall lines as well...

We'll be lucky to get 50 more games out of him imo.

Maybe I’m a pessimist.
Maybe I’m just a jaded cynical old fart whose belief has been steadily eroded by an underperforming club for far too long.
But I am prepared for the reality that Charlie will never play again.
Obviously don’t want that to be the case, but I don’t think I can hold out hope for it to be dashed again and again just as he nears a return.
What a great story it would be if he did.
O’Meara is playing well after shocking ongoing problems.
It’s possible.
I just can’t pin my hopes on it.

It was a frustrating game but just wanted to point out amongst the doom and gloom that we are 2-3 but two of the losses were against Richmond and Port who are clearly two of the best teams this year and serious contenders.

Collingwood loss looks bad now but at the time they had zero injuries...they only lost to the dogs by 16 points in Rd 1 and to Brisbane by 1 point after our game. Theyve fallen away now after further injuries. We were definitely off that game.

We dominated the dockers and gold coast. Dockers currently 3-2.

We have a shitload of injuries and we actually had more scoring shots than Port. Some guys probably do need to be dropped or are playing sore but we don't have adequate replacements due to injuries.

We're still very much in the finals hunt imo. I think outside the dogs, the other teams above us like Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide etc will drop to a lower level throughout the year.
Like your optimism but id suggest a side that cannot even get the basics of the game anywhere near correct is not going to get near finals .
Our kicking and finishing are atrocious .
Despite being 2-3 which doesn't sound too bad and a couple of wins does get us right in amongst it just can't see it.
Theres so much wrong with the way we play imo we are still relying on individual play to keep us in games somewhat and have too many passengers and weaknesses to challenge for finals .
Early doors yet but not great signs imo .

Like your optimism but id suggest a side that cannot even get the basics of the game anywhere near correct is not going to get near finals .
Our kicking and finishing are atrocious .
Despite being 2-3 which doesn't sound too bad and a couple of wins does get us right in amongst just can't see it.
Theres so much wrong with the way we play imo we are still relying on individual play to keep us in games somewhat and have too many passengers and weaknesses to challenge for finals .
Early doors yet but not great signs imo .

Agree with that...our system did break down against Port...though good teams do that to you and make you look bad.

Our finishing was poor even in our wins, but ultimately we did dominate those games and beat freo by a fair margin and should have beaten gold coast by 5 goals too if not for bad kicking for goal.

We see a lot of teams go from world beaters to a shocking loss from one week to the next and vice versa this year...like saints getting destroyed by essendon but then beating west coast. Im not worried just yet given the quality of the teams we've faced so far this year.

Back