Preview Rd 6 Geelong V Brisbane Sat April 20 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyi:

BRISBANE will be without Zac Bailey for the short-term after confirmation the dynamic forward has suffered a high ankle sprain.

Bailey tweaked his ankle in the Gather Round victory over North Melbourne, but fronted up and collected 23 disposals and kicked a goal in last Thursday's win over Melbourne at the MCG.

However, the 24-year-old reported ankle soreness following the season-shaping win and the club has confirmed the serious injury.

The Lions will seek further medical advice, but expect Bailey to miss between four and six weeks, ruling him out of matches against Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast in the foreseeable future.

If the Geelong medical staff did this with a Cats player this board would have the pitchforks and torches out big time

Charlie Cameron free to play on a day when a 24 year old retired due to concussion issues. Sounds about right.

I agree with something Dunkley said in regards to tackles today - there are players throwing their heads back & exaggerating contact with the ground to get a free kick, and the benefit of doing such is generating forward momentum

In this case, one angle doesn't look great and in the other there appears minimum head to ground contact - and Levers first response is to look for the umpire to call for a free kick

I don't mind a fine in this situation - let's hope for consistency with it

The dirty secret is that Charlie Cameron is nowhere near the player he used to be.

I agree with something Dunkley said in regards to tackles today - there are players throwing their heads back & exaggerating contact with the ground to get a free kick, and the benefit of doing such is generating forward momentum

In this case, one angle doesn't look great and in the other there appears minimum head to ground contact - and Levers first response is to look for the umpire to call for a free kick

IMO the ‘body slam’ tackle Charlie laid on Lever is extremely dangerous, and it was pure luck that Lever wasn’t concussed or didn’t suffer a neck injury.

I think we need to eradicate those type of tackles from the game, I don’t care whether it’s Charlie Cameron or Brad Close who is penalised for them.

That said, after the Maynard non-penalty last year, I have zero faith that the AFL actually wants to take steps to minimise the risk of head trauma in the game.

Yeah, I agree with this. Lever is known to be a massive whinger. And in this instance he snaps his head back to try to get a free. I'd be pissed off if a Cats player got suspended for this particular combination of tackle and bad acting performance.

I have zero faith that the AFL actually wants to take steps to minimise the risk of head trauma in the game.
I don't think that's it at all.

I think the issue is that to avoid bad suspensions for football acts that cause unavoidable contact they've had to build in some safeguards and wriggle room into the tribunal guidelines.

Wriggle room that good lawyers are using to change results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"We need to grow the game in QLD and the casual fans up that way won't turn up without the chance to dance along to 70's folk music after a goal, please understand."

All we need to go to stop Tom Hawkins getting suspended in the future is play a Slim Dusty track every time he kicks a goal!

I am fine with it being downgraded if as you say they stay consistent but it is the AFL so in the next month or so someone with a much lower status will go for a tackle the same or less dangerous.

Downgraded

I knew this would happen. Great player he is, but too many variables in this one.

I will say no more, except to say that AFL House is sick TF of us and wants to push their KPIs. EG the big number clubs like Pies and Blues, the needy markets like Qld and Sydeney. And stuff the clubs who are run well.

So it's up to us now to show what we have got and screw them. Upside we get to test ourselves against the Lions best team.

So thankyou to the AFL Board, Andrew and Gil for taking the competition more and more into lahlah land, and further away from the great game that it was.

I guess it's marketing 101 in many ways, but I fear if gen whatever is not on board we will see 15m 1/4's with no contact and a round ball to even things up.

What a soccer shocker that would be.

Last edited:
This appeal opens a huge Pandora's Box now, doesn't it?
As it should. The suspensions are ridiculous. The rules are ridiculous. Outlawing bumps, tackles, and contact will be the only way to minimise risk, and then there will still be accidental/incidental contact in juries.
And they will never outlaw the speccy marks with potential to (intentionally) knee a head en route.

I'd say neither.

We'll probably just roll through 3 or 4 players through him all with the directive of keeping him quiet and he'll be cooked by the second half, basically what we did in the prelim.
I would be looking to play Atkins on Zorko
He has been the form player for them this year and with Bailey out he will be important to their game

I would also keep COS to play on Hipwood and Neal to keep Andrew’s occupied

I knew this would happen. Great player he is, but too many variables in this one.

I will say no more, except to say that AFL House is sick TF of us and wants to push their KPIs. EG the big number clubs like Pies and Blues, the needy markets like Qld and Sydeney. And stuff the clubs who are run well.

So it's up to us now to show what we have got and screw them. Upside we get to test ourselves against the Lions best team.

So thankyou to the AFL Board, Andrew and Gil for taking the competition more and more into lahlah land, and further away from the great game that it was.

I guess it's marketing 101 in many ways, but I fear if gen whatever is not on board we will see 15m 1/4's with no contact and a round ball to even things up.

What a soccer shocker that would be.
Just noticed, is your avatar a reference to 'The Lid' that we all struggle with when our side is 5-0?

He gets off for a dump sling tackle which has serious potential to cause harm based off “good” character?? What the f does your previous behavior have to do with your current action?? It’s essentially discriminating.

So two people performing the exact same action will be treated differently based off suspension history??

The AFL should rightfully be sued and lose by past player class actions with concussions seeing this dog s**t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back