Preview Rd 6 Geelong V Brisbane Sat April 20 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Mullin still would’ve went if he had played the last few weeks and started to lock down a position in the team
Good question. It makes me wonder how serious he is about AFL. I

I think it's line ball whether Cameron should have been suspended in the first place, I'd have been ok with him being fined by the MRO in the first place. But getting downgraded based on good character is just mind blowing.

The reality is the tribunal disagreed with the MRO but didn't have legal grounds to change it so they grabbed onto something that's actually immaterial.

The afl has to specifically put something about this in the boundaries of the tribunal to say that they cannot consider player history. Good bloke or bad bloke, the concussion is the same.
We had that probable 10 years ago and the AFL specifically removed it which makes the decision even more crooked.

Wonder if Mullin still would’ve went if he had played the last few weeks and started to lock down a position in the team

Could well depend on the reason for travelling to Italy - and that may well have been factored into team selection knowing he would be absent for a short period

GEELONG'S Oisin Mullin is unavailable for selection at any level this weekend after flying to Rome for his sister's wedding.

The young Irish defender was granted around a week's leave from the club and landed in Italy on Tuesday.

He will be available to play against Carlton at either AFL or VFL level next weekend.

Lets get this straight. Joel Selwood didn't accentuate as in exaggerate the high tackle, he was usually getting his head ripped off. He was not into acting and throwing his head back. Selwood tried to wiggle out of tackles by dropping his shoulders and was often successful in escaping the tackler. In the early days it would sometimes result in a free kick. In his later years the umpires would deliberately not pay Selwood free kicks for high tackles even to the extent that they would ignore coat-hangers. A lot of this was driven by Selwood haters who just hated that he was so damn tough and would often will Geelong over the line with his relentless drive. Now lets look at Ginnivan. He sometimes tries to drop his shoulder when he feels he is bring tackled but he also is inclined to exaggerate the effects of any contact. He is not alone doing that at Hawthorn. He's now in the same predicament as Selwood but for slightly different reasons, in that umpires will ignore giving him free kicks for genuine high contact. The AFL admitted that.
I'm not saying he threw his head back when there wasn't any contact, but to say that Selwood didn't shrug his shoulders to accentuate high contact in order to try and win free kicks is, at best, willful ignorance IMO. To the point that he was well clear in terms of high free kicks won, and essentially admitted as much himself. Then the AFL changed the interpretation somewhat to try and stop it. Which is exactly the point - players will always try and find ways to make the rules work in their favour, and it's up to the AFL to make sure these tactics don't unduly impact the game too much.

That's not to say Selwood wasn't extremely tough at the contest and had a very strong will to win. Both can be true.

I'm not saying he threw his head back when there wasn't any contact, but to say that Selwood didn't shrug his shoulders to accentuate high contact in order to try and win free kicks is, at best, willful ignorance IMO. To the point that he was well clear in terms of high free kicks won, and essentially admitted as much himself. Then the AFL changed the interpretation somewhat to try and stop it. Which is exactly the point - players will always try and find ways to make the rules work in their favour, and it's up to the AFL to make sure these tactics don't unduly impact the game too much.

That's not to say Selwood wasn't extremely tough at the contest and had a very strong will to win. Both can be true.
Yeah, you don’t get as far in front of literally every other AFL player for free kicks by just sheer toughness alone

One thing we wouldn't have expected - relevant to the midfield battle - is for Parfitt to start getting involved in so many scoring chains.

From round 24 last season, this is our score involvement tally:

Miers 44
Cameron 40 (missed one game)
O.Henry 38
Stengle 38
Holmes 33
Dempsey 33
Parfitt 32 (missed one game)
Close 29 (missed one game)
Dangerfield 22 (missed 3 games...he is a score involvement machine)
Brunn 22 (missed one game)
Hawkins 21 (missed two games)
Duncan 21 (missed two games)

On average score involvements over the past 6 Geelong games that would put Parfitt equal with O.Henry and Stengle, who marginally trail the expected top few of Miers, Cameron and PFD.

For a bit of context, for the overall season in 2023 Parfitt was 17th for Cats players in score involvement per game and that included his big round 24 effort. He's had more score involvements in his past 5 games than he had in the previous 10!

He's definitely elevated his game this year. To the point where I'm not sue what they'll do when Guthrie gets back because it would seem he's playing too well to drop atm, but he also can't really play anywhere else other than inside mid.

But to compare his averages to last year are also a little deceiving. He was sub or subbed off in 5 out of his 9 games last year. When you're not actually on the field because you've got the vest on, it makes it hard to have scoreboard involvements, which will bring down you averages in all stats.

I'd miss any week of H&A for a sibling's wedding. Not an issue IMO
I should have read the details. Didn't realise it was his sister! It would probably have been worse if the Club said no you can't go!!

He's definitely elevated his game this year. To the point where I'm not sue what they'll do when Guthrie gets back because it would seem he's playing too well to drop atm, but he also can't really play anywhere else other than inside mid.

But to compare his averages to last year are also a little deceiving. He was sub or subbed off in 5 out of his 9 games last year. When you're not actually on the field because you've got the vest on, it makes it hard to have scoreboard involvements, which will bring down you averages in all stats.
Your ramble is pointless unless you provide the numbers showing how much his stats overall were effected by sub involvement or whatever. But sure there would be a sprinkle of inflation, that only came from him being poor last year anyway.

And my main point was his ranking in averages compared to peers this year anyway. Being right up close to the top is unexpected. The numbers simply show that he's gone from our 18th most important player in scores to top 5 or 6.

I'm saying Selwood shrugged his shoulders to get out of the tackle not specifically to get a free for high contact. I thought I made that obvious in my diatribe. You think he shrugged his shoulders to get high contact and a free kick. We disagree but that does not make you willfully ignorant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm saying Selwood shrugged his shoulders to get out of the tackle not specifically to get a free for high contact. I thought I made that obvious in my diatribe. You think he shrugged his shoulders to get high contact and a free kick. We disagree but that does not make you willfully ignorant.
I would actually love to see a stat that showed out of all the high free kicks Selwood got, how many of them did he play on from after he successfully escaped the tackle. It would take one dedicated ultra fan to go through all the footage but would be great to know the numbers

I'm sure they're managing this really well. The good news is that Oisin is really starting to come on as a football player in our code. His last AFL match was obviously his best yet and he was looking noticeably more comfortable and confident in the VFL last week. Gonna be a good player, I reckon 👏🏻

Last edited:
Your ramble is pointless unless you provide the numbers showing how much his stats overall were effected by sub involvement or whatever. But sure there would be a sprinkle of inflation, that only came from him being poor last year anyway.

And my main point was his ranking in averages compared to peers this year anyway. Being right up close to the top is unexpected. The numbers simply show that he's gone from our 18th most important player in scores to top 5 or 6.
Sure. If you take the average of games he played in full he was 10th for us last year, not 18th. https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats.html?year=2023

He was poor last year, no doubt. One or two games as sub might not change it too much, but when over half the games you play you wear the vest, it does. Going from 10th to 5th or 6th is still a great improvement, but saying he was 18th last year is misleading.

Can't both be true, he's trying to shrug the tackle but knows that there is a possibility he'll win a free for high contact. It's a win-win strategy really.

It's similar to kicking it to Hawkins knowing that he'll either mark it (plan A), or it will likely spill to Stengle (plan B).

Of course he could get pinged holding the ball, but I bet the stats have Selwood well down on that compared to your average inside mid.

Anyway, I step back from the bruhaha now.

Apparently we've got a match up in Brisbane - at least I hope so otherwise I'm not sure why I'm at the airport...

Selwood is a legend no doubt, but he ain't playing this weekend - let's get back on track

That's ok, let's agree to disagree. Yes, I think the shrugging was primarily to win a free. You do not, so let's move on.

Where is the social club room at the MCG again? Olympic?

I'm excited for this one. Should be a Jatz cracker. We will undoubtedly lose the midfield battle, but by how much? I expect that both our forward line and back line will win their respective battles. If we can win enough of it in the middle I think that will just about seal the deal. Danger back is huge, Hawk and Kolo not shabby either. Aside from killing us in the middle I don't see how they beat us.

I'm excited for this one. Should be a Jatz cracker. We will undoubtedly lose the midfield battle, but by how much? I expect that both our forward line and back line will win their respective battles. If we can win enough of it in the middle I think that will just about seal the deal. Danger back is huge, Hawk and Kolo not shabby either. Aside from killing us in the middle I don't see how they beat us.
A knacker?

Clark is the one who will need to make way for Guthrie atm. And that’s ok. Clark has a long career ahead of him but he is simply not as impactful as Parfitt right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back