Prediction Rd 8 Changes v Tigs Away

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of off topic, but we play Richmond away on Sunday, then home to play Sydney on Friday. Short turn-around. Surely the AFL could have had us play the Tigers on Saturday.
Well, yes, in a world where any thought whatsoever was given to fairness, that might have been an option. I have never called VicBias before, but this year’s fixture is exhibit A. We have been completely drystroked with some of these decisions - just rudely diddled.

Tough decisions this week. Great problem to have.

Draper out and Amiss in. Simple. The smaller height of Richmond means Chappy, Pearce and Ryan down back should be enough height.

Switta unlucky but that’s the way it goes when you get injured. He needs to belt the door down at peel to win his spot back.

Need to keep the team consistent as often as we can. Both Voss and Cooper definitely deserve to hold their spots and what a reward to play at the G in front of their families

I was big on him at Peel last year but after his two games last year, his issues from Peel are coming through, disposal and decision making.

That massive stuff up that he had wasn’t an anomaly, he does 1 or 2 a game where he costs us gimme goals. It’s the lack of forward line class we’ve all been bemoaning the last month.

His pressure and intent is so good it’s enough for now but he absolutely has to fix it and given how he was at Peel, it’s not a sure thing he will
agreed, almost any time he has an opportunity like that it goes begging. having both him and switta in the team is an issue i think, both have really only been adding pressure this season so far, cant afford to have 2 small forwards who cant take their chances

Draper out -> Worner in - let's get more run going on a smaller Tiger's outfit - also they have dangerous small forwards
Voss out -> Amiss in - if ready, otherwise Voss stays in
Emmett out -> Switta in - if ready.
Simpson stays in

JOM to sub perhaps - even though he played ok - and can play in multiple roles.

Sonny had a ok game - which was largely because we were better with our ball movement. He was a connector to the other forwards.

It might be a different looking team against the Swans.

I want to see Worner, Clark, Walker to be attacking from the backline as much as possible.

agreed, almost any time he has an opportunity like that it goes begging. having both him and switta in the team is an issue i think, both have really only been adding pressure this season so far, cant afford to have 2 small forwards who cant take their chances
I think there’s something to work with here, he’s not the most skillful player but he has very fast hands (too fast sometimes) and has the right amount of mongrel in him chasing and tackling. That handball he received on the run from the middle just showed how fast his hands are, the handball wasn’t exactly the best for the moving player but he snatched it in a way most others on our list wouldn’t be able to. It’s a weapon worth persisting with and finding the best spot to utilise it is a challenge for the coaches. He can kick a goal too

I think there’s something to work with here, he’s not the most skillful player but he has very fast hands (too fast sometimes) and has the right amount of mongrel in him chasing and tackling. That handball he received on the run from the middle just showed how fast his hands are, the handball wasn’t exactly the best for the moving player but he snatched it in a way most others on our list wouldn’t be able to. It’s a weapon worth persisting with and finding the best spot to utilise it is a challenge for the coaches. He can kick a goal too
yes agreed hes got the tools i just think we cant carry both him and switta. freddy showed how imporant he was to us despite being fumbly. i would rather persist with emmett as we pretty much know exactly what switta can bring

I don't have particularly strong feelings about who is in or out but it's important to contextualise the performances of Voss (good first game), Treacy (in his top 3 games played for the club), Walters (much improved from week before) etc against the Bulldogs being a defensive mess, they looked like a bottom four team behind the ball all night, so loose.

Personally I'd be taking that into account before proclaiming 'Voss must stay in' or some such demands.

Despite his deficiencies, Hughes is way better over his head than Worner and also good one on one. He can play tall or small

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I trust Worner. Greatly improved and looked really good vs Brisbane. I’d give him a go over Hughes.

Really tough week at selection if Amiss and Switta are healthy. Of the fringe guys:

Serong was singing Jaeger’s praises post match, saying he has sacrificed his game to play wing and down back and he’s rally valued. Doubt based on that he’s out.

Johnson was also better today, albeit not setting the world on fire.

Emmett’s one percenters were epic and resulted in a few goals.

Most likely : switta and amiss for Voss and Simpson. Presumably Hughes for Draper.

I hate all those changes. But have to get Amiss and Swit into team

I know this is very controversial, but I would leave Simpson in over bringing Switter back. Before you jump on me, I think Simpson is already ahead of Switter in a lot of key areas.

I don’t think we can pick two small forwards just only on their pressure stats (Emmett and Switter) unless they start to contribute more goals. Switter kicks an average of a goal every second game. Despite his speed he has not taken a bounce this year, while Simpson has already taken 2 (3 if you adjust for 58% TOG c/f 79% for Switter). Also despite lower possessions Simpson is averaging 4 effective kicks a game c/f 2.4 for Switter (Simpson 5.4 adjusted for TOG). Also Simpson pressure acts on the weekend (17 or 23 adjusted for TOG) are as good as Switters (22). Also most importantly Simpson’s score involvements (4 or 5.4 adj) are better than Switters (3.6).
We need a guy who lowers his eyes when kicking in the forward 50 and I haven’t seen anyone do it better than Simpson in that just over a half of a game he played in the weekend.

Need to keep the team consistent as often as we can. Both Voss and Cooper definitely deserve to hold their spots and what a reward to play at the G in front of their families
Yeah I think you got to give the debutants 2 in a row and as I’ve said since the weekend no “unforced” changes.

Draper out and Amiss in. They have a smaller Fwd line anyway. If the fwd line looks too cumbersome we can sub out Voss or Chuck Jackson in the middle or behind the ball.

I haven’t been too impressed with Jackson’s fwd craft so far this season. Leading patterns and timing a bit off so I think we can afford having him around the ground.

Amiss although is great at kicking goals, has very little fwd pressure and physical presence. Not much run and chase. That’s something Treacy and Voss do and like to see it again.

I know this is very controversial, but I would leave Simpson in over bringing Switter back. Before you jump on me, I think Simpson is already ahead of Switter in a lot of key areas.

I don’t think we can pick two small forwards just only on their pressure stats (Emmett and Switter) unless they start to contribute more goals. Switter kicks an average of a goal every second game. Despite his speed he has not taken a bounce this year, while Simpson has already taken 2 (3 if you adjust for 58% TOG c/f 79% for Switter). Also despite lower possessions Simpson is averaging 4 effective kicks a game c/f 2.4 for Switter (Simpson 5.4 adjusted for TOG). Also Simpson pressure acts on the weekend (17 or 23 adjusted for TOG) are as good as Switters (22). Also most importantly Simpson’s score involvements (4 or 5.4 adj) are better than Switters (3.6).
We need a guy who lowers his eyes when kicking in the forward 50 and I haven’t seen anyone do it better than Simpson in that just over a half of a game he played in the weekend.

💯 why mess with a winning formula.

No unforced changes until they have to be made.

It helps that Richmond doesn’t have the land of the giants in the fwd line, so we don’t have to exchange a like for like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t want to put brakes on the Simpson hype train but using stats of any kind after one game is a bit silly

Voss was encouraging to me but I think his possible limitations were there to see. He laid only 1 tackle, not through lack of intent but he struggled to catch players and clearly has a bit to build fitness wise. His issue is that his athleticism is close to that of a ruck while being "only" 193cm tall.

He's ahead of Tabs but I'm not playing 4 talls (or moving Jackson out who had 4 scoring shots btw) to accommodate him personally

Voss was only playing because Amiss was out. I'm not sure what people were seeing that demands staying in the team? I'm glad he showed enough to suggest he is a competent back up, but I didn't see anything that says we should rejig the team to accommodate him.

While we're playing 2 rucks if Treacy and Amiss are fit I don't see how he can play.

Couldn’t agree more…

I would argue shuffling magnets and moving Young out of the midfield is more of a change than like for like replacements - especially when it’s just bringing back best 22 players.

And the fact that we shifted Banfield and O’Meara back before making that change in game would suggest Young isn’t going anywhere. And nor should he.

Depending on fitness, I can see…

In - Amiss, Switkowski, Davies
Out - Voss, Simpson, Draper

I’d bring in Davies, rather than going with the shorter back line. Keep the structure. And it’s a good week to do it since the Richmond forward line is WAFL standard at best.

Davies will debut, having only one tall back Pearce, who is injury prone isn’t a good idea. I know Chappy is 193cm but he doesn’t have the strength and weight to compete with big forwards. Although Richmond are short of key forwards Neismith is 206cm and Lefue is 195cm

As a WAFL watcher, the difference between Davies and Draper was minimal, Draper probably had more bounce out of defense but have we been seeing that at AFL level anyway? Davies probably the better stopper at this point in his career, its a no brainer to bring in Davies for Draper IMO

Richmond surely bring in Samson Ryan this week (9 goals in 4 VFL games), they'll go the triple talls, we will need that extra tall in defense

Even if they don't do that, its better to debut Davies as he is likely going to be needed for the next 5 or so weeks (3 minimum if Draper hammy and then might need WAFL before coming back as he is young)

I agree with Draper and Davies being very close having watched them both a lot in the WAFL. Draper great below his knees and moves like a 183cm player not 197cm. But despite being a cm shorter at 196cm, Davies is better over his head than Draper

I agree with Draper and Davies being very close having watched them both a lot in the WAFL. Draper great below his knees and moves like a 183cm player not 197cm. But despite being a cm shorter at 196cm, Davies is better over his head than Draper

I think only one person has really touched on the biggest difference between the two though, Davies costs Peel at least a goal a game through Hughes like errors. Now, I'd say when they were at Peel he probably saved an extra goal compared to Draper because his contest work is really really good but if he plays (and I hope he does), I guarantee he is going to piss a few people off.

Bring Davies in, if we want our KPD depth to develop then we need to get them AFL experience when it's up for grabs, Draper injured, Davies gets his shot, who else?

I'd hope we keep Simpson and Voss in too, Voss, Treacy and Amiss should be our 3 tall forwards going forward.

Where does Jackson play…??

Out: Draper, Walters and O'Meara
In: Davies, Switkowski and Amiss

FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Clark Davies Chapman
C: Sharp Young Brayshaw
HF: Fred Jackson Switkowski
FF: Treacy Amiss Voss

R: Darcy Serong Fyfe

I: Johnson Aish Simpson Banfield

S: Emmett

Voss applies far more pressure than Sturt or Walters so I don't see why we couldn't give this a go.

Voss has 1 tackle and 12 pressure acts, Sonny has 3 tackles and 21 pressure acts in the same game time

not sure draper is a guarnteed out, daniels tweeted he was subbed out for a 'tight' hammy and JLO says its nothing serious in the presser, going up against an undermanned tigers forwardline regardless though so shouldnt be too much of an issue either way.

theyre also without like 3 of their top mids, should be another smashing from serong and co should give us a good opportunity at putting up a good score and hopefully impress baker

freo by 6-8 goals i reckon. could be a big day for treacy

Voss was encouraging to me but I think his possible limitations were there to see. He laid only 1 tackle, not through lack of intent but he struggled to catch players and clearly has a bit to build fitness wise. His issue is that his athleticism is close to that of a ruck while being "only" 193cm tall.

He's ahead of Tabs but I'm not playing 4 talls (or moving Jackson out who had 4 scoring shots btw) to accommodate him personally
Interesting because he decked about 3 guys in the first 10 minutes or so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back