Preview Rd9 St Kilda v Geelong Sat 14th May 2022 @ Colonial 435 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zuthrie is an excellent example of perseverance starting to pay off - the MC have seen his talent and now he is delivering - played a great final in 2021 , looked good in preseason and came in last week and played very well - big tick , keep playing him so he can show more consistency.
I'd also play Cooper and Mitch again - there's a risk of 2nd game blues but both looked promising and as if they belonged.
Hoping Neale debuts this week as well :thumbsu:
I would still like to see him back it up in multiple weeks. Easy against giants in a one sided coach killer game. Let’s see against speedy saints on a quick deck.

It’s a completely different situation with Stephens. Still a baby in footy terms, never really been fully fit and even when he has been Covid has ruined any chance of him staking his claim. While I’d rather see him in the starting 22, calls that he’d request a trade are ludicrous. He’ll get more than his fair go if he continues to do what the coaches ask of him, and if he doesn’t, then that’s no loss to us. Because again, you don’t want blokes like that anyway. We're trying to win premierships, that's the goal of sport. You don't do that when guys crack the shits at missing a game here and there.

Except for Henderson. Because he did exactly that at Carlton but it didn't stop Geelong giving up a first round pick for him. Right in the middle of the premiership window too.

It’s amusing how we take the ‘sky is falling’ view whenever our youngsters aren’t given the red carpet treatment. It’s happened with Constable, Narkle, Clark and now you’re trying to do it with Stephens. I don’t agree with everything the GFC does, but no player yet has come back to hurt us after being let go. I’ll take the clubs judgment over my own or anyone on Bigfooty in these situations.

Except for Josh Caddy. Unless playing in two premierships for a team that beat Geelong twice in finals on the way to those flags somehow doesn't count.

His position is irrelevant, he just needs the game time, i dont understand why that is so hard for people to understand? 2E isnt exactly a wingman, but there he is selected on the wing. Zuthrie isnt exactly a defender, but there he is selected in a back pocket. Mark O'Connor isnt exactly a footballer, but there he is, selected in our team...again. You could leave Stephens in at any position between half back and half forward and it would be better than not playing him at all.

Stop talking about positions like it actually matters.

Zuthrie isn't a defender? You sure about that? O'Connor isn't a footballer, but he finished Top 10 in the B+F in 2020 and was elevated to the leadership group in 2019?

Look I get you're upset, but Coop has been injured for the last two years, and this is his first real season on our list where he's a selectable player. We're now 9 games in, and by game 8 he's already been selected and played.

Who he is competing with at the moment, is really Evans, Zuthrie and Narkle, who have all plied their trade in the VFL and deserve their shot too.

I would agree with you if Dahl or Higgins were selected, and full disclaimer I am actually annoyed that Coop isn't selected this week, but to suggest him and Clark or Linc's situations are remotely similar - is very disingenuous to say the least.

Linc left because we f*cked up his foot op by inserting the wrong size rod, and he had continually got injured prior to that - so he wanted a fresh start. Clark left after playing 17 games in his first season, and then Scarlett not wanting him as part of his 'misfits.'

To suggest that Coop would just leave after investing two years of rehab into him and him finally playing his first game last week - is just way over the top and has no substantiation. He'll get his shot throughout this year, but there are others who are ahead of him who aren't over 30 - but have plied their trade longer. If Dahl or Higgins keep getting selected, at the expense of Coop, then I'll agree with you and say that it's a problem. As it stands, there's nothing wrong and he's still the med sub - so still part of the experience.

We'll see what happens from here, but I fully expect him to play at least 5 more games this year, if not 10 if he can get on a good run. Zuthrie and Narkle deserve a run of games first, then if they don't show enough, or even senior players don't show enough, Coop will move up the pecking order and find himself selected most weeks.

Again, this is essentially his first real season, just like SDK. Give it time and then assess at the end of the year if he's not given an ample amount of game time by season's end. Until then, just relax with the doomsday predictions, as none of us know what the future holds for him, until we actually see events play out.

Last edited:

Except for Henderson. Because he did exactly that at Carlton but it didn't stop Geelong giving up a first round pick for him. Right in the middle of the premiership window too.

Except for Josh Caddy. Unless playing in two premierships for a team that beat Geelong twice in finals on the way to those flags somehow doesn't count.

Well...no..it doesn't. Richmond win those flags with or without Josh Caddy. You and I both know that. Let's not pretend like he was the difference between the two sides.

Well...no..it doesn't. Richmond win those flags with or without Josh Caddy. You and I both know that.

His only good year where you'd go "Gee I wouldn't mind if we had him back" was when they didn't win it.

Regardless. He went to Richmond, they won three flags, in each year they beat Geelong during the finals, and twice he was involved. To claim it didn't hurt us by letting him go is ludicrous. Premierships are still the name of the game.

Henderson did not say he wouldn't play for Carlton. Actually it's Carlton who said don't bother coming back.

Regardless. He went to Richmond, they won three flags, in each year they beat Geelong during the finals, and twice he was involved. To claim it didn't hurt us by letting him go is ludicrous. Premierships are still the name of the game.

What's your point exactly? If we keep Josh Caddy we still don't win in 2017,'19, or '20.

If Richmond don't have Josh Caddy they would still be premiers in 2017, '19 and '20

So because he was involved but didn't actually do anything it therefore hurts us.

What's your point exactly? If we keep Josh Caddy we still don't win in 2017,'19, or '20.

If Richmond don't have Josh Caddy they would still be premiers in 2017, '19 and '20

So because he was involved but didn't actually do anything it therefore hurts us. You'd have a point if he was a vital part of a Richmond dynasty, but he wasn't. He was in their bottom 6, he had next to no impact on the results of those finals and wouldn't have changed anything had he been playing for us.

His first step or two when getting the ball is something special. I will regret saying this but the only player I’ve seen do something like it is Judd.*

*I AM NOT SAYING HE WILL BE THE NEXT CHRIS JUDD
As a junior he was Judd/Dangerfield like out of a stoppage. Wait until he gets confidence in his legs/body again after a season or two of continuity.

Yes especially on the quick deck. He is not overly fast but has a quick first stride or two and is young enough to hunt the opponent.
Evans could be cooked with Stengle emerging. Narkle against speedy saints a worry with his defensive traits.

Hell, I’d have played him in front of O’Connor who has been pretty average this season. Seems some get a freer ride than others.

I would still like to see him back it up in multiple weeks. Easy against giants in a one sided coach killer game. Let’s see against speedy saints on a quick deck.

Agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His position is irrelevant, he just needs the game time, i dont understand why that is so hard for people to understand? 2E isnt exactly a wingman, but there he is selected on the wing. Zuthrie isnt exactly a defender, but there he is selected in a back pocket. Mark O'Connor isnt exactly a footballer, but there he is, selected in our team...again. You could leave Stephens in at any position between half back and half forward and it would be better than not playing him at all.

Stop talking about positions like it actually matters.

This is right up there with the worst posts I’ve seen on this board. Of course position matters. You gonna play Tomahawk in a back pocket?

You can’t just shoehorn Stephens into the team in any role. If he plays HFF then he forces Stengle/Close/Miers out of that role, all who play a role Stephens can’t play.

He played okay in his first game, he didn’t star, and he was the logical out for Selwood to come back in.

It looks like they see Knevitt as a wingman who can run all day. I guess he's sort of replaced the Menegola role for the short term. 🤷

So because he was involved but didn't actually do anything it therefore hurts us.

I didn't make the point. The statement was no one who Geelong got rid of hurt us. Clearly and obviously not true.

I'd heard enough about Josh Caddy about 5-6 years ago. Let's get the thread back on track.

Saints have lost their past two, they'll be keen to turn that around. I think Tom & Jerry will again be too much for Howard & Battle. We just need to get the ball in there enough, which we seem to have no trouble doing.

It looks like they see Knevitt as a wingman who can run all day. I guess he's sort of replaced the Menegola role for the short term. 🤷
I remember hearing the review of him by the club and them speaking about his running capacity and his marking ability and thought "yep they'll work him in through the wing". Reckon I posted that somewhere.

Then I saw him in the Richmond practice match and thought he looked lost there. Thought that he might have to push in the hard way. In retrospect the quality of footy in that practice match would have made it pretty hard to star in an outside role so I was probably throwing the baby out with the bathwater

I remember hearing the review of him by the club and them speaking about his running capacity and his marking ability and thought "yep they'll work him in through the wing". Reckon I posted that somewhere.

Then I saw him in the Richmond practice match and thought he looked lost there. Thought that he might have to push in the hard way. In retrospect the quality of footy in that practice match would have made it pretty hard to star in an outside role so I was probably throwing the baby out with the bathwater
You did…

Something about Knevitt's reported running and marking ability makes me think he might start on the wing a bit first but I guess we'll see.

By mid year Scott might be putting tweets out for gfl players to come in for a game here and there if the impacts to t20 are anything to go by

The only problem with Zach at the moment is that he plays very well the first week back in and drops off dramatically thereafter. I'm hoping he can back up his good first game back performances and string a few together. Consistency from him is what we need.

This is right up there with the worst posts I’ve seen on this board. Of course position matters. You gonna play Tomahawk in a back pocket?

You can’t just shoehorn Stephens into the team in any role. If he plays HFF then he forces Stengle/Close/Miers out of that role, all who play a role Stephens can’t play.

He played okay in his first game, he didn’t star, and he was the logical out for Selwood to come back in.

I dont disagree with that broadly however blicavs could go to key back (where we need him) and duncan could go to hbf (where he hasbeen very good) and then theres room for stephens in the midfield. So theres options to fit him inthe side while improving it and theres a valid argument that we should be doing that.

The only problem with Zach at the moment is that he plays very well the first week back in and drops off dramatically thereafter. I'm hoping he can back up his good first game back performances and string a few together. Consistency from him is what we need.
I've been one of Zach's biggest detractors but he's earned another game off last weeks efforts imho,but seeing his name in black and white on the team sheet last night still made me feel very uncomfortable.

It's a while since Miers has been a stay at home forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back