List Mgmt. Rebuild or refresh?

Rebuild or refresh?

• Rebuild

Votes: 71 35.1%
  • Refresh

Votes: 131 64.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Vlastuin and Prestia in, Stack and Mansell out … George the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That'd be a great outcome. I don't buy into all the slagging off of George - a true Tiger and triple premiership hero to me, no matter his deficiencies - but he would be a super-sub. Bringing his energy on halfway through the third quarter in a close match would be a massive boost.

I ticked rebuild on the poll but it is more nuanced than that. Refresh to me is the Geelong model and that I definitely do not want.
In general I do not want us trading picks for players with some exceptions but it is either a late pick for a role player or unless it is a great deal like Prestia was. 2 first round picks for Treloar for example is a big no no. Our best player atm is Short and we got him as a Rookie ditto our captain Grimes.
I want to rebuild in the sense of taking a long term view. Mate Collina is a perfect example of this. It will take years for this arrangement to pay off - and it may not. However having a long time horizon is our secret weapon. No club has the advantages of financial strength, management stability and history of sustained success. We can leverage this to take higher risk, longer term picks that no other club can. This will be what keeps us great.
Well you should be plsd that’s already started with taking 5 picks in the ‘21 ND rather than trading them out for senior players , team selection is another matter and im certain that our aspirations to play finals are indeed genuine so the balance will always be there

Well you should be plsd that’s already started with taking 5 picks in the ‘21 ND rather than trading them out for senior players , team selection is another matter and im certain that our aspirations to play finals are indeed genuine so the balance will always be there
Absolutely. I am super happy with draft strategy last year. Let’s hope a gun forward slips to us this year.

Baltas biggest attributes actually come to the fore when he is playing down back. Where he can back himself to attack the footy without worrying about getting in the way of Lynch/Riewoldt. Where he can use his athleticism to turn defence into attack in an instant with a dash and 60m kick out of D50.

It's a question of how often that actually happens - maybe twice a game at most, sometimes never?

Personally, I'd much prefer him kicking over the opposition defence a dozen times a game from high half-forward (and yes, I know it hasn't happened that way yet, but it should be the aim) than very occasionally breaking a line rebounding.

We seemingly agree on what his best attributes are, I just see them as being extremely underutilised when he's playing deep in defence.

It's a question of how often that actually happens - maybe twice a game at most, sometimes never?

Personally, I'd much prefer him kicking over the opposition defence a dozen times a game from high half-forward (and yes, I know it hasn't happened that way yet, but it should be the aim) than very occasionally breaking a line rebounding.

We seemingly agree on what his best attributes are, I just see them as being extremely underutilised when he's playing deep in defence.
Looks a natural fb to me , heavily involved , not so much as a forward

Looks a natural fb to me , heavily involved , not so much as a forward

Balta kicked 4 against GWS and claimed the 10 coaches votes as a pure forward (not rucking).

It was always going to be a role he needed a little bit of time and patience to grow into, IMO he's shown more than enough to say he can succeed there, especially once he's not sharing a FWD line with both Jack and Tom.

Why do we have to allocate a position for Balta ?

He is a multi positional player that is explosive and a real weapon
Play him where you need him the most depending on the game/matchup

With Gibcus now i would love to see Balta/Gibcus occasionally swing foward for a quarter or 2 just to give the team a different dimension and stretch the opposition defences

Absolutely. I am super happy with draft strategy last year. Let’s hope a gun forward slips to us this year.
Norf are doing us a massive favour there. Keep investing in the Draft is the way fwd, any experienced guys coming should be via FA as that allows us to keep investing heavily into the Draft each yr.

Balta kicked 4 against GWS and claimed the 10 coaches votes as a pure forward (not rucking).

It was always going to be a role he needed a little bit of time and patience to grow into, IMO he's shown more than enough to say he can succeed there, especially once he's not sharing a FWD line with both Jack and Tom.
Perhaps he could in time , right now he has a presence as a FB and really impacts the game , arguable with jack and lynch there that his talents are needed in f50

It was more a figure of speech than a suggestion that he goes on a dash and then thumps it 60m. It's more about the way he goes about it down back, with his ability to turn defence into attack in an instance. It's his ability to seemingly appear out of nowhere to impact a contest he shouldn't be involved in. For me having someone like that down back that can turn the game in an instant is a great thing to have, because it sets up that quick counter attack that was so successful during 2017-2020. For me moving forward the foundation of the backline being built around Balta and Gibcus who compliment each other perfectly and I'm someone who likes to stick with something that works rather than trying to reinvent things

As for the forward line, once Jack retires we've still got Lynch as the number 1 forward and we can trade for/use free agency to go and get someone to play second fiddle to Lynch initially and at the same time hit the draft to bring in the next generation KPF. By all reports there are plenty of options available in the draft this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we need to continue to be mindful of the list position and the age of the core that delivered the 3 flags. The vast majority of them are on the wrong side of the trajectory and will likely only decline/retire at different rates.

Have to find a way to continue to feed in the Stack, Ralphsmith, Dow, Ross, RCD, Cumberland, Sonsie, Banks, Brown, Clarke, Ryan, Biggy types wherever possible, so as to not leave ourselves in a hole.

This week is a good opportunity to bring in a Dow or a Ross to replace Pickett, a Miller to replace Balta, RCD for Graham, etc. Get Ralphsmith back, etc.

These forced changes are just as important for our future as anything.

Not sure why you wouldn't give Dimma the opportunity to rebuild the list given he's done it once very successfully already
Longmire followed through on the rebuild at Sydney without fully bottoming out, we'd be mad to not give Dimma the opportunity if he wants it
(Yes I'm aware of the leg up that Sydney's academy gives them)

Sounds like he wants out

Back