Food & Drink Recipe Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man, nothing worse than crackling fail. Like having sex without the orgasm or decaff coffee.
Ahh Ticky, we should get snickered together. I think it would be funny

Have either of you heard about Neil Perry's method of creating a great crackling? I've given it a go & it works a treat.

Pretty much the idea is you soak/marinade the fat with a vinegar or some other acidic dressing then before u cook it, dry out the fat (salt it etc) then roast on a medium temp. Wen it's almost done, get a pan of oil heated up to smoking point. Get the meat out & spoon/tip the smoking hot oil on the fat... Essentially deepfrying the fat.
Yeah ive never tried it though, i usually just salt if for a few hours before and pat it dry with paper towel to soak all the moisture up (same method works well with fish to get a nice crispy batter except you dont need to do it for aslong or as much salt)

Ive also done it a few times by heating up some oil first til its really hot and pouring it on straight on top of the raw roast pork all over the crackling and then straight into a piping hot oven which works well, kinda like what you said but the opposite and no vinegar. Ill have to try the vinegar trick though cheers.

Although having said all that alot of people i.e my dad just chuck it in the oven and hope for the best and the crackling turns out nice and crunchy. Also curse the guy (me) who brought up pork at this time of night when i cant do nothing about my cravings!

OMFG! That looks AMAZEBALLS!!

Thanks! And sorry guys! Got a phonecall from mum, can't refuse that one:p
I wasn't entirely happy with the taste to begin with, then squeezed some lemon on and yeah, that did the trick. I also used beef broth instead of water, just making s**t up as I went. This is one of those dishes you can really tweak according to your taste and experiment a bit I think.

The leftover stock is freaking yummy, using the left over noodles and stock for lunch tomorrow I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not all doom and gloom....
Made this for dinner tonight :)
_20161128_191730.JPG

Yep. Ordinarily I'd cook a squid in the chorizo fat ... but I haven't caught any lately. Or I'd leave off the protein and have it with pork belly

Anyone use a Tagine? I use mine to make lamb biryani, fabulous.
http://foodfellas4you.com/mutton-biryani-way/
Tagines are awesome. You get a really good depth of flavour, particularly if you have one you've used a fair bit & it's now well seasoned.

They are just as good for sweet dishes as savory too IMO.

So easy to throw together some figs, apricots, suntanas, nuts etc etc, maybe a hit of spice (cinn'mn or nutmeg maybe)... Honey them up & let them slowly collapse into a warm sticky sweet mess. Dollop of thick yoghurt, cream or icecream & you have an awesome campfire-style dessert.

_20161203_190734.JPG Just popped a small piece of pork belly in the oven. The smell of the cider is THE BEST!
Having it with my usual fennel, apple, walnut, mint salad. Happy days!

Last edited:
fennel, apple, walnut, mint salad
My own creation! I make it at least weekly.

Thinly sliced fennel bulb, thinly sliced apple, v thinly sliced red onion, sliced mint and walnuts.

Then I make a dressing of macadamia oil, orange juice, zest, Dijon, s&p, tiny bit of chilli but only if if I'm in the mood & possibly a tiny bit of sugar to balance it all. Verjuice or a good white vinegar would substitute for the orange but I like the sweetness.

And once you start using macadamia oil for dressings you'll struggle to use anything else unless it's for a really robust rocket type salad

View attachment 315899 Just popped a small piece of pork belly in the oven. The smell of the cider is THE BEST!
Having it with my usual fennel, apple, walnut, mint salad. Happy days!
That looks awesome!

I do a similar salad with rocket, fennel, pear, walnuts, mint & a lemon/orange dressing... It's my go to when I need a salad that cuts through big, heavy fatty dishes... Which is just about every day haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back