Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

If Davis can keep up his early form then I wouldn't be against him replacing Ludeman.
I feel like sending Tim Ludeman a note - pleading with him to give away all the gimmicks in his batting and get back to what he was as a kid - a very pure and technically correct batsman.

The wicket keeping cupboard is pretty thin. Good timing on the part of Harry Nielsen more so than nepotism IMO.

Weatherald didn't even wicket keep last season.

Drennan is just handy at A Grade level.

Barrett gloves them ok. Good prospect but batting needs to improve. Has played quite a few years of grade cricket without doing anything much. Started with a ton this season though, hopefully it's a sign of things to come. His keeping is sound.

Davey and Carey have been around the place for ages without taking their chance.

Damon Kerr is the best pure wicket keeper who's coming through the junior ranks. Has only just started playing A Grade cricket though. Still in the U/19's I think. Batting is a long way behind his keeping. Is a mile off first class standard at this stage but promising.

Brad Davis an interesting one. Don't think he was even a first choice keeper on his way through the system. Mostly a batsman. Not sure how highly his wicket keeping is regarded higher up. Sam Raphael a bit the same. A batter who keeps a bit.

Great win by the Redbacks. Have they turned the corner ? We'll soon find out.

Barring the games against the Australian XI they have been amazingly competitive.

Not sure if Siddons is the messiah or Berry was just a mediocre coach.

Barring the games against the Australian XI they have been amazingly competitive.

Not sure if Siddons is the messiah or Berry was just a mediocre coach.
In both the Matador Cup games and the first innings of the Shield game we did bowl and field really well against them.

I feel like sending Tim Ludeman a note - pleading with him to give away all the gimmicks in his batting and get back to what he was as a kid - a very pure and technically correct batsman.

Do it on behalf of Redbacks supporters please. Even a couple of season's ago he was much more free flowing at FC then he is now, he can barely hit it off the square at the moment. To be honest, I don't even know how he managed to score runs in the Big bash last season.

The wicket keeping cupboard is pretty thin. Good timing on the part of Harry Nielsen more so than nepotism IMO.

Barrett gloves them ok. Good prospect but batting needs to improve. Has played quite a few years of grade cricket without doing anything much. Started with a ton this season though, hopefully it's a sign of things to come. His keeping is sound.

Davey and Carey have been around the place for ages without taking their chance.

Damon Kerr is the best pure wicket keeper who's coming through the junior ranks. Has only just started playing A Grade cricket though. Still in the U/19's I think. Batting is a long way behind his keeping. Is a mile off first class standard at this stage but promising.

Brad Davis an interesting one. Don't think he was even a first choice keeper on his way through the system. Mostly a batsman. Not sure how highly his wicket keeping is regarded higher up. Sam Raphael a bit the same. A batter who keeps a bit.

Patrick Page is another one who seems to be handy, possibly the best of the lot (I haven't seen any of them mind you). But I think he moved to TTG this season, so wouldn't even be keeping.

Edit: mycricket suggests he was never a keeper, thought he was.

Yeah agree with all your comments there but I'm not as pessimistic; Ludeman is a handy A grader who's playing shield cricket - half your games at AO goes some way to helping average cricketers have ok shiel d averages. Feel like all of those guys average >20-25 in the same situation.

Barrett looks to have taken the next step - at least judging from the ton. Didn't hear a bad word about it, apparently very classy. Weatherald isn't much older than Kerr I don't think. Glove work is acceptable without being superb so probably needs some work and there are some holes in his technique (he shouldn't be opening for mine) but especially given AO is a road, he'd do well at the next level. Should be in the futures setup. Not much local talent coming through, regrettably.

Haven't seem Davis keep for awhile so will reserve judgement. First time I'd seen Kerr Sunday too, liked his glove work a lot, batting a bit iffy. Agree on Raph, likewise Darling (who's improved a lot I reckon) - both very good batsmen who keep on the side.

Patrick Page is another one who seems to be handy, possibly the best of the lot (I haven't seen any of them mind you). But I think he moved to TTG this season, so wouldn't even be keeping.

Page was at TTG last season too I think. Broke his finger mid/late year which hurt. Don't recall ever seeing him keep wicket. Lovely batsman though, saw him on Sunday, he's very pure.

Don't know for sure, reckon weathers is 20-21, Barrett 23-24, Drennan late 20s, Davey late 20s, Davis mid 20s, Carey mid 20s.

Drennan is 25, his batting lets him down, is a strong gloveman. Weathers is 21 and has been keeping for about eight months, batting wise is a jet.

Richardson out injured

Wah!

Would have been handy at the Gabba. Benton comes in for him. Did well on debut at the Gabba last season.

Otherwise unchanged I think although Jake Lehmann must be close. Ross and perhaps Cooper under pressure to perform.

Richardson out injured

Wah!

Would have been handy at the Gabba. Benton comes in for him. Did well on debut at the Gabba last season.

Otherwise unchanged I think although Jake Lehmann must be close. Ross and perhaps Cooper under pressure to perform.

Lehmann deserves a shot I feel, 74 and 79* in the current Future's League match. And better suited to FC cricket than Ross.

Lehmann finished the last Shield season in promising fashion but it seemed after Ross had those two really good innings under pressure in the one dayers that he came back into favour.

I like the idea of having a 'game breaker' at No 6 who can tick things along, help advance the game and give your bowlers more time to bowl the opposition out but it hasn't worked so far. Ross had 3-4 Shield game last season and another couple this season without passing fifty. I think he'll get one last chance at Brisbane.

Drennan is 25, his batting lets him down, is a strong gloveman. Weathers is 21 and has been keeping for about eight months, batting wise is a jet.

I like Weathers, takes the game forward but isn't careless. It's a good base. But he's not there yet; lots and lots of upside though. Drennan's batting is solid for A grade.

Richardson out injured

Wah!

Glad to see Benton get a crack, he's a good solid cricketer. We've had a pretty consistent pace bowling unit for the last few years; Sayers, Putland, Richo, Mennie and occasionally Worrall - would like to see what the local/grade prospects can offer - like Benton, Valente and Winter. What do you think of this West fella up at Prospect? Heard some ok things about him of late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Weathers, takes the game forward but isn't careless. It's a good base. But he's not there yet; lots and lots of upside though. Drennan's batting is solid for A grade.

Weathers is a freak. Made the move to Uni this season in order to take the gloves. Needs to do more, though. Had a shocker in 2014/15 and lost his spot with the emerging Redbacks.

Not a keeper but by far our best junior batsman. Only 17.

Few changes brewing this week?

I like Kelvin Smith but has struggled through the first three games. Could Alex Keath come in?

Tom Cooper is an experienced player. Should be doing more. Lehmann?

Ludeman struggling with the bat. Perhaps Alex Carey will get his chance after all?

Zampa would want to take some wickets too. Averaging 46.

Hopefully Richardson fit. Sayers-Mennie-Richo is a steady pace attack, albeit one that won't set batsman's hearts racing.

Looks like Kelvin Smith and Elliot Opie out of the 13. Daniel Worrall back in.

Reckon team will be:

1. Cosgrove
2. Cooper (pushed up to opener. Hasn't been getting any in the middle order)
3. Ferguson
4. Head
5. Ross
6. Lehmann
7. Ludeman
8. Zampa
9. Mennie
10. Sayers
11. Worrall or Benton

Looks like Kelvin Smith and Elliot Opie out of the 13. Daniel Worrall back in.

Reckon team will be:

1. Cosgrove
2. Cooper (pushed up to opener. Hasn't been getting any in the middle order)
3. Ferguson
4. Head
5. Ross
6. Lehmann
7. Ludeman
8. Zampa
9. Mennie
10. Sayers
11. Worrall or Benton

Yeah that opening position is interesting. Better not be Ludeman. Looks like Cossie will be the 4th seamer again.

Yeah that opening position is interesting. Better not be Ludeman. Looks like Cossie will be the 4th seamer again.
That's one good thing about having Sayers and Mennie. Both are workhorses who can bowl long spells and lots of overs rather than short-spell, burst bowlers. Means we can get by with 3 quicks.

It would be great if he could become our No 6/allrounder

Body a bit fragile for four day cricket at the moment? I know he's had a couple of back issues.
He's just a player that fills an obvious need IMO. Why not bat him at 7 and toss Ross the gloves (he was a keeper IIRC)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back