Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks similar to my front yard, only I don't have goal posts.

Watched the hail smash my yard, then saw a chunk of ice bigger than my hand smash my plants. Bigger than anything Brisbane ever gets!
Up where we lived I've seen some stuff that's closeto hand size. But the biggest one was around 2000 in Sydney. It smashed the front window of a fire truck and was about the size of a footy iirc. Insane.

This was last Thursday, I live on the Eastern side of Ballarat 50km from the front of Pyrenees fire.

Attachments

• 20240222_191413.jpg
    20240222_191413.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
BTW Its highly unlikely that could travel 50km and spark a fire. It would be burnt out before it landed. But if it was attached to a small branch a foot long or so with a bunch of other leaves it might travel half that distance land and start a fire on the worst fire days. That happened in 2009.

BTW Its highly unlikely that could travel 50km and spark a fire. It would be burnt out before it landed. But if it was attached to a small branch a foot long or so with a bunch of other leaves it might travel half that distance land and start a fire on the worst fire days. That happened in 2009.
Yeah it's a lot calmer now, fire is under control. They managed it pretty well. Allowed it to burn through pretty well all the state park, before the conditions we had on Wednesday. It could only run into open farmland, where there was a large squadron of tankers and aircraft waiting.
Outside of the first day it wasn't a super hot fire either, no crowning.

Yeah there was no danger of any embers getting as far as Ballarat. The furthest spot fires were probably about 10-15km ahead of the front. Was also spot fires that threatened Beaufort rather than the main front.

2009 was one out of the box though. If we had those conditions it could've run to the Western edge of Ballarat.

2009 was one out of the box though. If we had those conditions it could've run to the Western edge of Ballarat.

And it would have done it under an hour.

That was crazy. When it started in Kilmore there were those embers falling in Sunbury and the wind was blowing it away from there toward Kinglake.

I hadn't heard that before!
Mind boggles as to how that's actually possible.

There was a fire burning between Kyneton and Redesdale. The embers wouldn't have come from there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it would have done it under an hour.

That was crazy. When it started in Kilmore there were those embers falling in Sunbury and the wind was blowing it away from there toward Kinglake.
we had ember attacks from bunyip state park back then, the fires got to robinhood and glen crommie, they started a fire in nilma which would be say 20 km from there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back