Relationship with alcohol

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you go through AA?
Worst thing I ever did was go to one of those meetings.
Was the most depressing thing I’ve ever attended after my fathers funeral and only made we want to go and drink.
Bigger question, is what made you make the change, what was the moment for you?
When I realized one day my sons would have no father at such a young age and how tough it would be for them growing up with no fatherly guidance or protection. Would hate for them to go the same way.

I’m not an evil or mean spirited person by any stretch but like I said, that much poison rotting your brain and body away effects you in more than just being drunk.
Many people just don’t understand you’re hardly even human anymore. Just a zombie who goes through the motions and whose brain loses all care for accountability and the scope of actions & consequences.

Nights spent in lock ups doesn't seem sufficient enough for that history
Ahh, so physical punishment is all that counts with you?

Tell me then, what sentence would you hand someone for being an addict seeing as you singled it out as being a crime..?

Nights spent in lock ups doesn't seem sufficient enough for that history

The guy did a long post where he didn't divulge enough facts to come to your conclusion, so who are you to judge from afar? He listed ****ed up things he did but didnt divulge enough detail to be hung and quartered. We all * up from time to time.

There are things Ive done where Ive been lucky not to sit in a cell for a few years and Ive learnt and become a better person for it.

Last edited:
so on a less confrontational note, I've been drinking less and getting sick more lately, starting to wonder if my immune system is a belligerent drunk or it's just that time of year where I get colds :)

I had too good a relationship with alcohol.
So good in fact it was the only thing I wanted to see, hear or talk to so had to break up with it because it went from a fun friendship to a full blown addiction over time.

It started as the usual binge drinking and getting paralytic once a week in my 20’s.

At the end I was hiding so many bottles of spirits in so many places I forgot where most of them were so just cut my losses and bought more. Sometimes they’d turn up, sometimes not but then again I wasn’t sure if I’d drank them myself or if I’d just imagined having them altogether.

Short term memory loss and blackouts were a normal daily thing by that stage so I’d just invent whatever suited my mindset and went from there.

The usual workday would be 4 pints at a city bar before work.
Then scull 1 bottle of wine in the changing room before starting my shift.

Over the afternoon/night (say anywhere between a 10-14 hour period) I’d go through another 2 bottles of wine, half a bottle of whiskey, half a bottle of gin or vodka and then whatever else I could get my hands on at work when my own supply ran out, say 5 - 6 tequilas from the bar, 3 or 4 more beers from the alc fridge in the back, a big scull or two from a Cointreau or schnapps bottle and maybe another bottle of wine for the trip home or some cooking brandy.

This with a packet of cigarettes and maybe 10 cigars over the whole day, no food and you could imagine I was looking and smelling a million dollars.

I worked the night shift, mostly alone in a big hotel kitchen and was in a position where I was the most senior on shift and extremely aggressive as a chef so other employees stayed away or were too scared or inexperienced to say something.

I picked fights galore, even kicked guests out on occasion or threatened to stab co workers. Being surrounded by flames and big knives can be pretty dangerous.

Real ”Leaving Las Vegas” stuff and I could still go into a bar after work and get served.

Over about 10 years of being constantly tipsy to drunk your body builds up a mighty tolerance for booze. You are what is known as a “functioning alcoholic”. You can go through the motions, attend work meetings, or communicate well enough in most situations and the majority of people are none the wiser, but if the pace picks up or the pressure increases in your mind you’re ****** and that’s when the s**t hits the fan.

It got to a point where I was necking 1/3 of a bottle of hard liquor straight from the bottle just to get on a level I felt comfortable at every morning. Sometimes it was a whole bottle of wine in 1 go at 8 or 9am.

I always drank alone too, just so I could go at my own pace which was pretty ******* fast and didn’t have to bother with small talk or wait for someone else to catch up for the next round.

You can see how the enjoyment of drinking had long disappeared and it was now just a basic “need” like food is a basic need, or money is a basic need.

One day I was unusually staggering a bit - too much rum too fast - by 4pm so went & came clean with my boss and quit right then out of the blue.
Time off was what I needed from a workplace that was surrounded by readily available alcohol and high pressure just to break the bad habits and daily routine of drinking that I could set my watch to.

I’ve had blood noses for no reason at any time of the day, numbness in my arms at different points that lasts for hours, shitting and pissing blood, sleepless nights due to high fever and sweats, alcohol poisoning several times, kidney problems, strange skin rashes, a nervous breakdown, been on stress medication, depression medication, been hospitalized, stomach pumped, woken up in all kinds of weird places lost, covered in vomit, many physical fights, many beatings, stabbed 3 times, blown up a car, hit by two cars, stolen from friends, stolen from employers, associated with prostitutes, drug dealers and other undesirables, injected drugs, commited adultery, tried to rape a friend, arrested countless times, nights spent in lock-up, fired on the spot from 6 jobs in a row in 1 year and ruined one marriage.

I avoid pubs these days but if I’m with a group who wants to go it’s ok as then I can control myself. Hopefully there is a pool table or pinball to help keep me distracted.
If I ever went in alone it’d be all over and believe me I absolutely ping for a drink or smoke every ******* day. Just writing this makes me want.

But if I see others drinking at some outside terrace or something I don’t judge them, (I actually envy them & their ‘normality’ with alcohol) same as if they were on the sodas I wouldn’t think anything weird about that either, it’s not really any of my business what others do, only what I do.

Now I work out with weights 5 days a week, eat healthy and train boxing.

I do think it’s strange to go to a bar if you’re not drinking tho because I don’t really see the bar as a fun socializing place like that, more like a dirty dingy room to be alone and escape where you over think too much and achieve very little by getting yourself into a very bad, dark place mentally.
Suicidal thoughts, angry thoughts, bizarre inventions in your head, talking to yourself, ways to lash out, hurt others, blame others, personal torment & pain all hidden behind a polite smile and good manners.

Alcohol can be a fun relationship if it’s kept within the guidelines the medical authorities recommend, its when it becomes a dependency that you have to hide from people because you’re ashamed and you know how bad it is that it becomes a sickness.

So enjoy it lads, I sincerely hope nobody else here ever pours that much into their bodies on a daily basis tho.

Christ Chef,you have had a hard time with the grog,good to see you back on your feet again.

I’m detoxxing on coffee atm,headaches galore but would love to get rid of alcohol in my life,I’m not the smartest bloke around and drinking only amplifies my vagueness.

Now footy season is over,I will not be going out each week getting drunk.

I hardly remember things at the footy because of the booze,I have started to blackout also a few times,woken up in the city with vomit all over me not knowing where I was.

Alcohol is a short term high like coffee that over time gives negative long term troubles.

I was a coffee addict in my youth,drank minimum 10 cups a day,chain drank the stuff.

Detoxing on this seemingly harmless brown stuff is horrible,horrible headaches and nausea for a few days,I feel for drug addicts trying to get off.

Another addiction which which we all are starting to get,addiction to smart drvices and social media and crap like Facebook where people get on there and tell you how wonderful they are and how s**t your life is,I avoid social media like the plague,really should be getting off bf at my age also.

I own a dumb phone,cheap pos but it answers and makes calls,iphones the disease of the modern age.

Last edited:
Christ Chef,you have had a hard time with the grog,good to see you back on your feet again.

I’m detoxxing on coffee atm,headaches galore but would love to get rid of alcohol in my life,I’m not the smartest bloke around and drinking only amplifies my vagueness.

Now footy season is over,I will not be going out each week getting drunk.

I hardly remember things at the footy because of the booze,I have started to blackout also a few times,woken up in the city with vomit all over me not knowing where I was.

Alcohol is a short term high like coffee that over time gives negative long term troubles.

I was a coffee addict in my youth,drank minimum 10 cups a day,chain drank the stuff.

Detoxing on this seemingly harmless brown stuff is horrible,horrible headaches and nausea for a few days,I feel for drug addicts trying to get off.

Another addiction which which we all are starting to get,addiction to smart drvices and social media and crap like Facebook where people get on there and tell you how wonderful they are and how s**t your life is,I avoid social media like the plague,really should be getting off bf at my age also.

I own a dumb phone,cheap pos but it answers and makes calls,iphones the disease of the modern age.

I will almost certainly be downgrading my phone (iPhone) once my current contract expires.
Had a Nokia 6610(?) back in the day so might go on a nostalgia trip and grab another one

I can go some weeks with no beers, then some weeks easily drink a carton and want more. Week nights I would rarely drink more than three beers, weekends up to around 15 beers. Should really try to drink less but I don't plan to stop and figure I'm better off keeping a bit of tolerance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a grog problem,only had 2 cans since October last year but let myself go last night,the headaches,depression and now a head cold,I took for granted how bad the following day feels,I am the bad hangover type.

I was exercising daily,practising my drumming 3 plus hours a day but one night on the drink has stopped it.

Never touching the s**t again,eff peer pressure,eff my flaky mind.

I’m going cold sober.

I gave coffee and caffeine the arse,now to give the devil’s drink the arse.

Alcohol give you short term highs but long term fails.

Why does God prey on the weak? :-(

* you alcohol and my mind being weak to go down that path again,no more,no.

I have no brain cells as it is.

Just say no.

Last edited:
I don't like beer as much as I like being fit. Too much of the former = too little of the latter. I probably have one 'big day' a week of drinking, but it ranges from between 6 to around 12 drinks. During winter it is only saturday nights after footy, but summer is the tougher period because of the extra holidays, hot weather etc.
I absolutely love craft. Enough that I am looking at getting into brewing at some point in the future. I cop (misguided) s**t from people because i'd rather drink a Balter XPA on a night out than a Great Northern, but ultimately it works in my favour. Everybody I know who won't drink 'that fruity craft s**t' are capable of downing upwards of 20 mid-strength beers in a day. Due to the cost, the higher and heavier flavour and the often increased alcohol percentage of craft beers, I can comfortably have a super fun night out and max out at round 8 schooners. Only does excess drinking come into play at Mad Monday or really special occasions.
I see some people in here who have admitted to having some real concerns with their relationship with the booze. I am in no way anyone who can offer advice on something so important, but if you feel like you still have some control over it, focusing on anything you find MORE important can help how much you consume. Super basic advice of course, but if anything can even remotely act as a positive thought i'm glad I shared it.

I am very strict with my diet and exercise and have found my drinking habits to change with my increased focus on these areas. I am strictly keto and have been for 5+ years and have recently begun sticking to a training program for over a year. I went through a stage of drinking Bighead or similar low carb beers but just could not enjoy them like craft beers. Now when I do drink beer I limit myself to 4 high end craft beers usually XPA's or IPA's and modify my diet and exercise to account for them.

I do prefer drinking red and dry white wines so drinking socially isn't an issue as they are my go to before beer. I figure having a drink or two on the weekend with friends is more important for my mental and social wellbeing than strictly saying no at all times.

I have a grog problem,only had 2 cans since October last year but let myself go last night,the headaches,depression and now a head cold,I took for granted how bad the following day feels,I am the bad hangover type.

I was exercising daily,practising my drumming 3 plus hours a day but one night on the drink has stopped it.

Never touching the s**t again,eff peer pressure,eff my flaky mind.

I’m going cold sober.

I gave coffee and caffeine the arse,now to give the devil’s drink the arse.

Alcohol give you short term highs but long term fails.

Why does God prey on the weak? :-(

glory be you alcohol and my mind being weak to go down that path again,no more,no.

I have no brain cells as it is.

Just say no.
I feel you somewhat.

When it feels like you just let it go a little bit and you quickly feel regret and often worry over what you’ve said or done.

It should get better over time.

so on a less confrontational note, I've been drinking less and getting sick more lately, starting to wonder if my immune system is a belligerent drunk or it's just that time of year where I get colds :)
or you are looking for an excuse to really get stuck into the hops again. just sayin.:rolleyes:

Drink.....I can take it or leave it, but when I take it I take it. I have never got people saying oh I only have 1 or 2. F*ck that, piss in the main tastes like sh*t. That's why we mix it with all sorts of tasty. So I'm not having 1 or 2 I'm having 15 and wiping out. Or I'm not having any.

Is that healthy? Probably not. I cant be at the pub/bowling club and be around those people that don't drink. I find them to be the snivelling little turds that run off to tell everyone they can about your "inappropriate behaviour" so if I'm not on it I'm not there.

Maybe that's down to my upbringing, on construction from 16 and the common theme was "never trust a man that doesn't drink" all in jest I'm sure but the older I've got the more I've seen that to be true.

Those that don't drink will be on here I'm sure to defend themselves but again I was never sure of peoples rationale to sit at a table with blokes on the p*ss whilst they nurse a lemonade. Why would you be in a pub if your weren't going to drink? Seems strange to me.
Because you want to see your mates but don’t like drinking? Who gives a *. Not everyone likes tipping piss at competition rate.

You’re asking the wrong person because as I’ve said in here, I respect people who don’t drink. A lot.

But going out all night with people who are pissed and being some sober bloke at a nightclub is odd.
Why is it odd? They don’t like getting drunk? Big deal

or you are looking for an excuse to really get stuck into the hops again. just sayin.:rolleyes:
Nah, I'm pretty good at coming up with excuses to drink when I want to drink.

does having a dependency in certain social settings define it?

if so, you'd reckon a lot of people would fit into that category.
A lot of people are alcoholics, they just don’t know it. Or, not necessarily alcoholics, but people that say ‘I have to have a drink otherwise I won’t have fun’. I mean if you go somewhere, to an event or function, and the only way you seem to get through it is by getting drunk, it’s not good.

I met up with some mates for dinner pre Christmas and one bloke said ‘I can’t drink that mid strength s**t, no matter how much I drink I can’t get drunk’. So there was the obvious impulsiveness to drink to get drunk. There was no level of just having a few and enjoying it. I found that to be problematic.

It’s totally associated with society and our social outlets. Races = alcohol. Sport = alcohol. Christmas = alcohol. Partied = alcohol. Every social event for the most part has an alcohol attachment to it, so when people don’t want to drink but still want to participate, they get judged and ostracised.

It’s wrong, and it actually more about the individuals that have to get drunk in order to enjoy a social setting. You have to alter your state of mind in order to normalise yourself? In order to be accepted socially? It’s wrong, and it means you have a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back