Discussion Remaining Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be a good test of our depth ..

Is Logan Austin fit ?? If so I think Carlisle will be rested in the short turn arounds.. otherwise brown should be used .

I can see bytel getting a debut too

I’m sure king will be given a spell as well not sure we have a replacement maybe Marshall will play a full game from full forward.

I expect ratts will get creative.

I think we've got decent cover across most lines. Key forwards are probably where we have the least depth, but between King, Membrey, Battle, Marshall, Marsh we should be able to manage (and potentially use Howard/Carlisle as a key forward in one match given our much better KPD depth).

I think every single player on our list will be able to perform to the requisite standard for one of these games, other than:
- Dunstan (injured)
- Alabakis
- Bell
- Mayo (?)
- Connolly (?)

- I think Marshall and Ryder each miss 1 game with Abbott in.

- Geary misses a game or 2 with Long back and Webster/Savage maybe in.

- Hanners doesn't play both GC and Geelong.

- Carlisle and King can be rested for the Swans game. Roberton and Marsh in. Maybe Clav to debut? Sadly I think Austin is done, as mush as I love his attacking play. Could he be tried at CHF?

- Good excuse to 'rest' Ross and Hill for a couple of games and give Bytel and Sinclair some games. Could Leo debut?

Mids should be fairly easy to rotate through. Everyone else should be able to manage, maybe with reduced minutes.

This will be a good test of our depth ..

Is Logan Austin fit ?? If so I think Carlisle will be rested in the short turn arounds.. otherwise brown should be used .

I can see bytel getting a debut too

I’m sure king will be given a spell as well not sure we have a replacement maybe Marshall will play a full game from full forward.

I expect ratts will get creative.
Howard forward, Brown to fullback

Wondering if it will change gameplans?

For example if say we have a Gres pull up sore so we just play him out of the square only going up to the 50.

Like on the weekend, if locked in the defensive half, the defence can barrel it forward over the press to a one on one.

Pressures the zone and the defensive setup.

I really hope we dont try and get cute with things and try and 'manage' games.

We need to use the whole playing list to stay fresh, not try and stay fresh by messing with our game style.

We should be under instruction to go as hard as possible every game- then rest guys who need it and bring in the understudys.

We are in a good spot with our list depth, across the ground there is little separating our best 22 guys from our reserves.

(Of course that is a double edged sword because that also means we have few truly elite players in our best 22... but for this year that could be a bit of a blessing?)

i think we can even snag a win against Geelong. There’s a few older players in them that will be due for a rest come our game.

Plus geelong rely heavily on a few star performers often to win (selwood, danger, hawkins).
I'd wager we might get lucky and they will need to rest a star or two at some point

Hope our benefactee Donut Lagerlands can get a run. I thought he looked OK in the few games he played last year.
Also looking forward to all the positive feedback in here if DMac gets a run.
Phillips for Hill would be a good swap. They both seem to cover a lot of territory without having much impact on the game /sarc

Hope our benefactee Donut Lagerlands can get a run. I thought he looked OK in the few games he played last year.
Also looking forward to all the positive feedback in here if DMac gets a run.
Phillips for Hill would be a good swap. They both seem to cover a lot of territory without having much impact on the game /sarc

DMAC - can't believe we will have to see him again

I hope it doesn't get to the point where we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Most players should be able to back up okay with the shorter games.

The older guys like Geary, Hanners and Carlisle will obviously need a rest.

Plus geelong rely heavily on a few star performers often to win (selwood, danger, hawkins).
I'd wager we might get lucky and they will need to rest a star or two at some point

Selwood will be touch and go with his Hammy, and Ablett is unlikely to be available by then.

Send the Man of Steele to Danger and all of a sudden the Cats don't look so dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vs Gold Coast I'd rest Hanners, Ross, Ryder, Geary, Carlisle, Hill, Membrey. Bring them back for the Geelong game. Go with a more energetic squad for the GC game too.

Brown, Savage, Roberton, Abbott, Webster, Hind, Sinclair, Austin, Marsh, Parker, McKenzie, Long, Philips, Bytel.... Geez we're in a very good position to recover and still play near full strength throughout the 16 days!

Vs Gold Coast I'd rest Hanners, Ross, Ryder, Geary, Carlisle, Hill, Membrey. Bring them back for the Geelong game. Go with a more energetic squad for the GC game too.

Brown, Savage, Roberton, Abbott, Webster, Hind, Sinclair, Austin, Marsh, Parker, McKenzie, Long, Philips, Bytel.... Geez we're in a very good position to recover and still play near full strength throughout the 16 days!
It's a really tough balancing act. Gold Coast is 50/50 if both team's are at full strength I reckon. If we rest a bunch of crucial players, I can see it being a really difficult game. That being said, we're going to have to rest players at some stage and every game is winnable so its risky either way.

DMAC - can't believe we will have to see him again

He's not as bad as people make out. He's a bit heart in the mouth but he's had his moments of looking okay.

I;d rather we play as close to full strength as possible against Gold Coast since thats a more winnable game. And then roll the dice with a different squad against Geelong since we are less likely to win that anyway.

Ross has been resting all year , he needs to be dropped not rested , its easy to mention all those player but most are not much chop or havnt shown much in the scratch matches

Ross has been resting all year , he needs to be dropped not rested , its easy to mention all those player but most are not much chop or havnt shown much in the scratch matches

I've been saying he should be dropped for weeks. The club will say "rested" though.

And I'm not saying those guys are premiership team, but they should be just as good or better than other teams reserves.

I've been saying he should be dropped for weeks. The club will say "rested" though.

And I'm not saying those guys are premiership team, but they should be just as good or better than other teams reserves.
Richmond's VFL side pumped us by 10 goals a few weeks back and Beating Carlton and Collingwoods VFL teams is nothing to get excited about as they are crap , i think we really over rate our so called depth IMO

Richmond's VFL side pumped us by 10 goals a few weeks back and Beating Carlton and Collingwoods VFL teams is nothing to get excited about as they are crap , i think we really over rate our so called depth IMO

By the same logic, Richmond's VFL side beating us is nothing to get upset about either.

I'm just saying we're in a better position than most for a busy fixture and camped interstate.

The sydney game has me worried. They could suck the life out of Death himself.

We are struggling big time when we cant run and gun and get behind the defensive line, if the game grinds to a halt i think its going to be very very low scoring.

Win this week ...given good run with injuries think we really get on roll myself.
TLDR: Learn, win, or do both.

I have been thinking this week, as someone who coaches in other sports, how significantly the following four weeks could reshape our list, our culture and our club. I know it may seem twee to some but the “ashes” focus on the hub was actually quite a deft idea.

I fully believe in the strategy of manipulating and utilising a ‘catastrophe.’ Tragedy requires an innovative response. Let’s be the first for once.

In my estimation Ratten, Rath, Lethlean and Co have set out to change not only game plan, personnel and mindset in the group, but have also focused on empowerment. I don’t have faith in some of the methodologies I see from afar but it is a fair (and planned) though somewhat corporate approach. All good, it is an improvement on the previous and I don’t have x-ray vision.

They are also, whether I agree or don’t agree investing intellectual capital in the club, not just one or two players, but the entire club. This has not always been the case for all you younger saints fan :)

We have also notably recruited moneyball types—Hill being an exception. I think we have the chance to show that our recruiting has improved in this circumstance.

We have the chance here in regard to training loads, strategic planning around who we are facing and individual match ups to weight our selections not by a week to week basis but across the entire rest of year schedule.

We have a pretty healthy list and I am deeply dismayed at Mayo being injured as I would have had him as a possible ‘replacement’ to Membery so Membery could be managed.

If I were an assistant coach right now at STKFC I would be getting into the heads of Marsh, Sinclair, Webster, Savage, Phillips etc and saying here is the moment where you know you will play and play you must to the very best of your given talents. Theses weeks are your weeks.

The squad is necessarily close, the bonds should come naturally, the message is that the majority of you will play, so play.

I think an opportunity has been forced upon us. It is an opportunity that can make us, it will not break us due to the unusual circumstances, but it is going to be a significant learning experience for our group and club.

I will go so far as to say that we can define what our premiership list looks like after the next few weeks. Whether that be next year or the years forward. Let’s discuss our needs in regard to free agency and draft and trades after we have run through the list at senior level. This is a glorious box delivered by Pandora, let’s be ahead of others.

(One small thing, don’t make Max tired, Max and my son Noah are almost identical so when Max plays I get overly protective. Just leave him alone you nasty men :))

Remove this Banner Ad

Back