PS5 Returnal

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Seems there is no save system. Which is causing a problem as some of these runs are lasting hours. And crashes are occurring when coming back from rest mode resulting in losing all progress.
Do you lose all progress or does it just end your current run? Most of these games you are progressing permanent upgrades as you play so finishing a run early doesn't mean it was wasted time, although not sure how this works.

Hades would save a run but I found myself usually sucking if I stopped halfway though and you then start without remembering your build/gear strat or at an area with tough enemies.

Picking this up this arvo.

Do you lose all progress or does it just end your current run? Most of these games you are progressing permanent upgrades as you play so finishing a run early doesn't mean it was wasted time, although not sure how this works.

Hades would save a run but I found myself usually sucking if I stopped halfway though and you then start without remembering your build/gear strat or at an area with tough enemies.

Picking this up this arvo.
Some stuff is permanent (seems like you can unlock permanent gadgets that help you get to new places for example) but other stuff like guns are run specific. Not 100% sure exactly what is kept as I am going into this game reasonably blind.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think no saves are intentional design for the games' "difficulty" otherwise save scumming in this would be too broken. At least when you beat an areas' boss, the portal between each place stays intact and it doesn't really take long to get to them especially if you get lucky with how the world spawns.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
That said I'm really loving this game, everything seems on-point. My only complaint is the parasite pool seems to be filled with too much rubbish. Some penalty modifiers can really screw you over in a run. I found it easier beating the second boss by doing a run where I just avoided all the parasites and got my weapon / adrenaline levels up.

I think no saves are intentional design for the games' "difficulty" otherwise save scumming in this would be too broken. At least when you beat an areas' boss, the portal between each place stays intact and it doesn't really take long to get to them especially if you get lucky with how the world spawns.
Definitely a game design to stop save scumming. But surely a save and quit feature would stop that. From my reading quite a few other roguelikes have added this now.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Definitely a game design to stop save scumming. But surely a save and quit feature would stop that. From my reading quite a few other roguelikes have added this now.

A save and quit feature would still let people back-up and download their saves through the Cloud. But honestly I'm not sure what they could do without going against the games' design. I was thinking either you can save some parts of your loadout, or maybe they should just always have a teleporter from the ship to the biome gate. It seems like the #1 feedback right now and the developers know, so will be interesting to see how they handle it.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Really want this game but the non save factor is possibly a deal breaker. Trying to find time for 3 hour sessions with 2 young kids it almost impossible.

Yeah that’s a deal breaker for me, similar circumstances mean if I want to play anything for a long stretch it’s gotta be on the switch or PC. Peppa Pig dominates our loungeroom…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Game is awesome. I wasn't initially bothered by the lack of mid run save as it makes sense from a design point, but now I wish there was one. I really needed to jump off when over an hour into a run so I ended up rushing and dying. I guess I'll get back to trying to progress when I've got another couple hours up my sleeve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
Yeah that’s a deal breaker for me, similar circumstances mean if I want to play anything for a long stretch it’s gotta be on the switch or PC. Peppa Pig dominates our loungeroom…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hahah yeah how horrible is pepper pig. All the kids programs are terrible and they also dominate our lounge.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Now that I've played more, I don't think it's too bad if you have to get off or can't save. You don't need to traverse through each Biome one at a time, you can go from 1 straight to 3 for example in a few minutes, and you get your weapon proficiency back. The only grind / big replayability is if you want to farm Obolites or get consumables beforehand.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
When you start again though do you have to do it ALL again like all the enemy’s, bosses ect?

Bosses no, but the enemies respawn as the levels are randomised. Gear and stuff is per run as is normal for a roguelike.

I think I'm just used to stuff like Hades where runs are much quicker where I can pick up and put down. Maybe as I learn this more my runs will be more efficient, but for now I'm sort of reluctant to play unless I know I'll be able to play undisturbed for a while.

Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Bosses no, but the enemies respawn as the levels are randomised. Gear and stuff is per run as is normal for a roguelike.

I think I'm just used to stuff like Hades where runs are much quicker where I can pick up and put down. Maybe as I learn this more my runs will be more efficient, but for now I'm sort of reluctant to play unless I know I'll be able to play undisturbed for a while.

Just keep your game open and put ps5 into rest mode, will be kept for when your back

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I've used it since day one and never had a single issue. Use it every night too

So have a lot of people. But as long as I'm still reading the occasional bricked console from both here and elsewhere and Sony don't address it specifically in an update I think I'll give it a miss.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
So have a lot of people. But as long as I'm still reading the occasional bricked console from both here and elsewhere and Sony don't address it specifically in an update I think I'll give it a miss.

I'm the same.

My PS5 would randomly go into rest mode even tho I had the option turned off. rebuilding the database seemed to fix it for me but i still don't trust using rest mode.

Sony haven't really said they fixed did they.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm the same.

My PS5 would randomly go into rest mode even tho I had the option turned off. rebuilding the database seemed to fix it for me but i still don't trust using rest mode.

Sony haven't really said they fixed did they.

That happened to me only the second time I used rest, and with all the stories I was never brave enough to do it again. If you search on Google it doesn't look like it has been happening to anyone since January but I'm still get to see an update actually mentioning it.

Back