Autopsy Review 2022 R4, v. Melbourne (The most sackable game in AFL history?)

Remove this Banner Ad

"Triple premiership forward Jonathan Brown questioned if the inability to target Marshall inside forward 50 was down to coaching or the big man’s positioning.

“Sam Mayes was the spearhead. I’ve played with Sam Mayes - he never in his life would have played as full forward,” he said.

Mayes has kicked 34 goals in his 120 AFL games".
This ignores the fact that often through the first half Marshall never presented a practical target to kick to. Making zero effort to get separation from his man, or making zero effort to move towards where the ball should be kicked so we could bomb it in his direction. Or offering a lead when the player with the ball isn't in position to make a pass.

I stopped paying attention towards the end of the second quarter.

This ignores the fact that often through the first half Marshall never presented a practical target to kick to. Making zero effort to get separation from his man, or making zero effort to move towards where the ball should be kicked so we could bomb it in his direction. Or offering a lead when the player with the ball isn't in position to make a pass.

Probably because he was directed to keep his KPD out of the way so that they could kick it to Sam Mayes.

These stats are made up tho. Marshall took a mark i50 on the lead. If that doesn't count as being targeted, what does?

Yeah, there’d be some wacky sabermetric definition they’d have to explain it.

I assumed it would have something to do with contested/disputed situations, and/or situations where the passer has multiple options.

These stats are made up tho. Marshall took a mark i50 on the lead. If that doesn't count as being targeted, what does?
Nah they are one on one stats. Marshall took that mark in a pack of 2 v 2.

We went inside 50, 48 times and that's why the article says;

Against Melbourne, Port targeted Mitch Georgiades five times, Sam Powell-Pepper three times and Connor Rozee twice inside forward 50.

So that suggests 7+5+3+2 = 17 of 48 entries went to a one on one and the rest were to a pack or kick wide to space.

Not sure about folding but I agree that Bergmann looks a better midfield prospect than either Butters or Rozee at this stage. Another young guy who could eventually step up to the midfield is Lachie Jones. Jones is probably not ready yet but he has the physique and ball getting ability to succeed. I think Butters, Duursma and Rozee are more the creative Robbie Gray type players, let the likes of Drew, Bergmann and Jones do the grunt work.

The way 2022 is headed maybe now is the time to start moving some of these guys through the midfield to see what they can do. That would take a Coach with and eye to the future and someone who can develop young players and Port do not have such a person.
I agree, if we can't get Ryan Burton into the midfield I think that Burgs could do a good job.

So your argument now is that its the system that holds up, not personnel? Which is it? We lost because we had players out and Richmond win because of the system?

You cant have it both ways here
lol, anyone would think you are new here.

Maybe down on goals kicked but way up on "balls to ground". Swings and roundabouts, really.
This fits with Hinkley's game plan where repeat F50 entries without scoring is the way to win games. A KPF marking and having a shot on goal is definitely not part of the plan.

In response to the thread title this is the most sackable game from Hinkley. He came up with a gameplan leading into it, that for me no doubt in his mind was going to be groundbreaking and stop Melbourne. All it did was confuse our players and play into Melbourne's hands.

To have Sam Mayes at full forward against May is one of the single most ridiculous coaching moves he's come up with. Mayes no doubt would've been told to maintain forward pressure on May problem being May and in turn Lever mark the ball rendering that idea completely useless. It successfully took all life from our forward line. Then Marshall fresh off 5 goals against the Crows is thrown into the ruck for periods against Gawn the premier ruckman of the comp, and Luke Jackson who's arguably the best second ruckman in the game and destroys any belief he'd have gained from the Crows game. The entire forward line issue was summed up when Mitch couldn't even kick a simple goal running into goal.

Then Hinkley has the nerve post game to claim the goals late on in junk time meant something. Clearly Melbourne had put the cue in the rack, anyone who knows footy saw that.

That was embarrassing by Hinkley and further proof if any was needed that he has to go. He's lost the plot and the players.

Digital version of the CD tables is a bit blurry this week.

Like last week and the week before the oppo have more red than Port and a lot of white by both which means an average performance by most players, and Melbourne's average game is better than our average game.

No surprise 3 defenders - Clurey, Bonner and Jonas are top 4 along with Drew who sat on Petracca most of the night and blanked him.

X score
Port 45 actual 36
Melb 73 actual 68

Pressure index continues to be high, dominate this game 183v159, we are working harder, chasing a lot of tail, but poor ball use again, sees a lot of wasted efforts delivered.

Marks inside 50, Melbourne had taken 7 before we got our first one in the 2nd quarter and our 2nd one was Marshall 49.5m just before the siren and after siren as Marshall is starting to run in Butters gives away a stupid, unnecessary free.

In the end it was 3 v 11 we kicked 0.1 from it SPP in the 3rd quarter, and they kicked 7.3 from their 11 M50.

Frees I50 were 2 v 5 we kicked 0.2 and they kicked 2.2 from their 5 frees.

Ruck Contests

Lycett 50 for 22 HO ie 44%, 7 to advantage ie 31.8% of HOs
Todd 28 for 5 HO, ie 17.9%, 1 to advantage ie 20% of HOs
Drew 1 for 0, 0%, 0 0%
Mayes 1 for 0, 0%, 0 0%

Gawn 52 for 33 HO ie 63.5%, 13 to advantage 39.4% of HOs
Jackson 24 for 8 HO, ie 33.3%, 1 to advantage for 12.5%
McDonald 3 for 0, 0%, 0 for 0%
Weideman 2 for 0, 0%, 0 for 0%

Gawn went for a boundary throw in by himself in the 3rd quarter members side inside our F50,and was a bit lost, half grabbed at it half hit it away, didn't matter, they cleared the stoppage and our forward line.

New poster to Big Footy WheeloRatings has set up a site that gathers all the data from AFL APIs and after 4 games sorting different categories by Port it clearly shows the stuff I have been saying from these CD tables by where we sit in the pecking order of each category or when you look at the differences option.

5th most average kicks, 4th most average disposals, 17th kicking efficiency, 14th disposal efficiencies, 8th I50 and just better than AFL average. Ie our territory game in full display, but poor kicking to just blaze I50.

But 15th for clangers, 12th for marks, 15th for contest marks, 18th for marks I50, 18th for marks on a lead,

But working Hinkley hard style but not smart - 1st for tackles, 10th and AFL average for tackles I50, defence 1v1 loses 26.7% 10th best and basically AFL average, offensive 1v1 lost 19.4% is 16th and basically 70% of AFL average, 15th for shots on goal despite 8th for I50, accuracy 18th, scores I50 17th, pressure acts 3rd.

See these stats at

View attachment 1369317

View attachment 1369324

Apologies REH. I must've taken the pic before it had focussed completely.

So, do you ever see any of our forwards leading, even when open spaces are available. Rarely.

It isn't part of the game plan.

I was writing to the club years ago about this!

Then Hinkley has the nerve post game to claim the goals late on in junk time meant something.

The “I don’t want to talk about the second half” Hinkley has said that?! Seriously?!?! 😱

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Port v. Hawthorn, 2017
Match report: Port hammers dismal Hawks

"I really don't want to focus too much on the second half because I think when you can do that sort of damage in the first, you should be pretty respectful of what that looked like.

"Triple premiership forward Jonathan Brown questioned if the inability to target Marshall inside forward 50 was down to coaching or the big man’s positioning.

“Sam Mayes was the spearhead. I’ve played with Sam Mayes - he never in his life would have played as full forward,” he said.

Mayes has kicked 34 goals in his 120 AFL games".
Nothing has changed re Kens MO. Won't work, never has, never will but he's too stupid to understand that.

So, do you ever see any of our forwards leading, even when open spaces are available. Rarely.

It isn't part of the game plan.

I was writing to the club years ago about this!
No I've never see our forwards leading to space under Kens regime. Its almost put me in the loony bin. Can I be paid $800 a year & be a dumb prick. 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back