Autopsy Review 2022 R4, v. Melbourne (The most sackable game in AFL history?)

Remove this Banner Ad

the-sting-paul-newman.gif
Wont know if we have won for a few weeks maybe.

I got into some verbal argy bargy with a bloke tonight after the first quarter where I not so quietly mentioned that it was another Hinkley special 0 goal quarter...

"One of those negative supporters"
"If you haven't coached shut up"

I just don't get it. What do they need to see before they realise something is wrong. A 0 goal quarter wasn't enough. A 0 goal half wasn't enough

Do they want a 0 goal game?

What is it going to take? Seriously.
Forget about knowing how to coach, you only need to know how to count to one to work out that the first half was a s**t show.

Pure speculation.

Wonder if Ollie's "injury" could be Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. I thought they said he didn't have a head knock. He's VC in a well-underperforming side. Assumedly close with senior coach who is priming to be axed. Centre piece of the midfield having to do the hard and physical stuff in the midfield.

I've always said that the system is the solution.

Our current system relies on Dixon being the target man up forward that brings the small forwards into the game.

Hinkley said it in his press conference - the players (meaning the forwards) are having to learn how to play a completely different style with Dixon missing. The last time they had to do that was in 2019 - but that was when we had Westhoff and Ryder playing up forward who had the experience (both over 200 games at the time) that Marshall and Georgiades (who don't have 100 games between them) don't have.

The good thing about this season is that we can see just what our forward structure is going to be like without Dixon and whether either of Marshall or Georgiades can lead the line. If they can, cool, we'll end up playing finals most likely when all our players return because they will have learned not to rely on Dixon so much.

If they can't, cool, we'll end up with a pick that will get us Lemmey who would be the perfect Dixon replacement.

The forward system is complete garbage. Indefensible.

It relies on Dixon playing out of his skin, but even if he does, it falls apart against a quality, well drilled defensive unit. Elite small defenders like Melbourne and the Bulldogs have will absolutely dine out on our primary method of forward entry being a long bomb to Dixon designed to generate a spill.

It's purely designed to avoid conceding intercept marks, which it does quite well, but that's useless if scoring relies entirely on individual brilliance or a free kick.

Word is Hayes can't grasp the game plan... if this is why he is not playing, we are screwed from Hinkley to Lokan...

given the game plan is to avoid these at all costs

GP.jpg

There is no wonder, he doesn't understand the game plan

I can't get that Mitch Georgiades Benny Hill moment out of my head.. just lol sums up the club.

Everyones commented on Mitch's running into goal shenanigans as the biggest wtf moment but I thought Clurey standing under a high ball on centre wing, expecting it to go out on the full so he didn't bother attacking it, only for it to bounce 5m in the field of play and trickle out whilst he watched was even worse. What. Are. You. Doing. Tom?

And he played pretty well otherwise.

So did Drew. Bonner was decent. Houston was good again. Bergman...welcome back son! Pep was decent too.

I'd just love to know who made the decision that Sam Mayes would become a full forward for us.
Seems odd that we’re doing that stuff again. Ie playing a small as a full forward

Just out of interest what was the deal with Melbourne taking advantage on a free kick, the ump letting them play on, then applying rugby rules and calling it back when Melbourne stuffed it up.

I think it was the second quarter southern half forward flank on the eastern side.

Did I miss something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The forward system is complete garbage. Indefensible.

It relies on Dixon playing out of his skin, but even if he does, it falls apart against a quality, well drilled defensive unit. Elite small defenders like Melbourne and the Bulldogs have will absolutely dine out on our primary method of forward entry being a long bomb to Dixon designed to generate a spill.

It's purely designed to avoid conceding intercept marks, which it does quite well, but that's useless if scoring relies entirely on individual brilliance or a free kick.

Its been an absolute waste of talent. Dixon/Lynch at GC was there shining light. We pick up the massive, talented, but injury prone Dixon. Then we tell him not to lead at the ball.....

WTF

Charlie can berate supporters as a loyal Ken man, but, if he were taught to lead at the ball like a Franklin/Kennedy/Hawkins he would now be one of most feared forwards in the league (and probably a premiership player).

Even when we win, I dont walk away from AO satisfied.

Its been an absolute waste of talent. Dixon/Lynch at GC was there shining light. We pick up the massive, talented, but injury prone Dixon. Then we tell him not to lead at the ball.....

WTF

Charlie can berate supporters as a loyal Ken man, but, if he were taught to lead at the ball like a Franklin/Kennedy/Hawkins he would now be one of most feared forwards in the league (and probably a premiership player).

Even when we win, I dont walk away from AO satisfied.

Yep. Charlie has probably cost himself 100 career goals by coming here and not playing in a functional forward line.

Yep. Charlie has probably cost himself 100 career goals by coming here and not playing in a functional forward line.
Maybe down on goals kicked but way up on "balls to ground". Swings and roundabouts, really.

Yeah, the coaches were off the ground well before the players - I assume Hinkley had money riding on some sort of animal cruelty event and left his pocket radio in the changeroom before the game.

Coaches didn’t receive much of a reception, about 20 people golf-clapping them off. Didn’t notice anyone providing 'constructive feedback' other than me and my brother.
I was in bay 123. I was amazed at how quickly the coaches got of the ground.

Cotchin
Grigg
Martin
Houli
Rance
Riewoldt

Remember when Richmond trekked over and took our lunch money missing this lot in 2019? I mean of course injuries to key players mean all teams score 1 goal for 3 quarters right?

Coming off a 44pt loss to Collingwood and a 49pt loss to GWS, to boot.

Pre-game: “I’m uncomfortable with the favourites tag”

Post-game: “We’ve got a long way to go to be like Richmond”

#justkenthings

Can someone tell me why they cant get Hayes to try and do Dixons role?

Seeing Mayes attempting to be Stew Crameri and Marshall up against Gawn in ruck, really makes you wonder just how bad their perception of him is.

Seeing Mayes attempting to be Stew Crameri and Marshall up against Gawn in ruck, really makes you wonder just how bad their perception of him is.
I can understand the he isnt fit enough to be a full time ruck

But to essentially run only 2 thirds of that when he is the closest thing for like4like we have. Ie the next soldier mentality

Doesnt make any sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back