Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

That's awesome. Sounds like it's from Star Wars. I can imagine it getting played as the rebellion is preparing some last ditch heroics. Interesting time early 20th century. Just as WW1 was kicking off. Has that feeling of war and battle to it.

Although the suite is named ‘The Planets’, thematically they follow the Roman Gods, and Mars is the Roman God of War.

IMO Mars is the pick of them, but I like Jupiter as well.

On the theme of classical music and war, Shostakovich’s Seventh Synphony (Leningrad Symphony) has a very interesting story behind it - worth a read about it.

If there was one song in the history of music that I could erase from existence, that's it. Putrid in every way.
The song is actually a satire. Its annoying but it became a huge hit despite the irony.

Plenty of songs get misinterpreted. Best case for me is Every Breath You Take by the Police. Its a stalker song but everyone i know thinks its a love song!

The song is actually a satire. Its annoying but it became a huge hit despite the irony.

Plenty of songs get misinterpreted. Best case for me is Every Breath You Take by the Police. Its a stalker song but everyone i know thinks its a love song!

I think Sting has apologised for that song? Its very creepy.

My husband and I have a list of songs from our youth - OK the 1970s - which when you listen carefully are quite horrible. About stalking, violence, threats, intimidation, and often about sex with young girls. Not a great legacy.

My husband and I have a list of songs from our youth - OK the 1970s - which when you listen carefully are quite horrible. About stalking, violence, threats, intimidation, and often about sex with young girls. Not a great legacy.
agree, Ringo Starr, your 16, your beautiful, and your mine, Gary Puckett, Young Girl, and a few others, but the worst by far is this.....

This was a huge hit, but its all about Domestic Violence

Only Women Bleed - Alice Cooper

Man got his woman to take his seed he got the power oh she got the need
She spends her life through pleasing up her man she feeds him dinner or anything she can

She cries alone at night too often he smokes and drinks and don't come home at all
Only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed

Man makes your hair grey he's your life's mistake all you're really looking for's an even break
He lies right at you, you now hate this game he slaps you once in a while and you live and love in pain
She cries alone at night too often he smokes and drinks and don't come home at all ooh
Only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed

Man got his woman to take his seed he got the power oh she got the need
She spends her life through pleasing up her man she feeds him dinner or anything she can
She cries alone at night too often he smokes and drinks and don't come home at all

Black eyes all of the time don't spend a dime clean up this grime
And you there down on your knees begging me please come watch me bleed

Only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed

BUt then you had people like Zappa and bands like Jethro Tull who were making wonderful social commentary which gets misinterpreted today. Aqualung being a case in point where the lyrics present the common view of a dirty old man and the humanity that lies beneath. Nowadays people don't get the subtlety or the nuance.

Tom jones Delilah is another one, about murdering a cheating girlfriend

BUt then you had people like Zappa and bands like Jethro Tull who were making wonderful social commentary which gets misinterpreted today. Aqualung being a case in point where the lyrics present the common view of a dirty old man and the humanity that lies beneath. Nowadays people don't get the subtlety or the nuance.
I love the guitar solo in Aqualung,one of the very best right up there with Freebird,Ian Anderson was a strange bloke though you gotta admit that getting around in tights and playing the flute.

Jethro Tull made some great music,I never listened to Zappa but boy he could play that guitar.

Pink Floyd too

agree, Ringo Starr, your 16, your beautiful, and your mine, Gary Puckett, Young Girl, and a few others, but the worst by far is this.....

I must admit I have always liked that song and the bloke singing it has a fantastic voice,just a pity what they are singing about.

I must admit I still like the song and I feel a bit dirty saying that but it is a great piece of singing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom jones Delilah is another one, about murdering a cheating girlfriend

Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix another. It doesn't stop me enjoying them just adds another layer of feeling and places them in their time.

I love the guitar solo in Aqualung,one of the very best right up there with Freebird,Ian Anderson was a strange bloke though you gotta admit that getting around in tights and playing the flute.

Jethro Tull made some great music,I never listened to Zappa but boy he could play that guitar.

Aqualung and Locomotive Breath up there with the greatest rock songs.

The live Freebird was something special. Not often you get 3 guitarists all going off at the same time.

Aqualung and Locomotive Breath up there with the greatest rock songs.

The live Freebird was something special. Not often you get 3 guitarists all going off at the same time.
Freebird was about the great Duane and then what 3 or 4 yrs later Van Zandt and 2 other member,s of Lynyrd died in a plane crash,mind you in those days a lot of rock stars died before their time,it was just the era .

Question for you pies, are there many fans of The Sharp in here?

Most played over Xmas, Sheryl Crow ‘Threads’, new album. I’ve not paid much attention to her or her music before. Thought she was too white bread middle America. But this album is a ripper, strong tunes, lots of duets with very talented friends (I don’t mind a good duet), and a couple of good covers too. Highly recommended. Gets better with every listen.

thought this was a sensation piece of coordination and production...

Playing For Change do a whole series of them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back