Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

A fit Tom Lynch is a star. I remember a cooked Deledio got us a pick 19.

I couldn't see Melbourne doing it but he is the perfect fit for them, only need him for a year or two in a flag window and with your forward line issues if he plays 10-15 games + finals he's good enough that you could jag a flag with him.

Collingwood is the same with their lack of a decent KPF. He could really help them win another flag next year.

It's a gamble I don't see clubs taking, but in other global sports teams do take these sorts of gambles to win their league championship.

To be fair I said I’d be happy to give something like pick 19, that comment was in response to someone implying he’s worth more than that.

I think the Bolton vs Baker thing really should be revisited. Maybe Bolton really doesn't want to leave, maybe Baker really wants to leave but I'm 100% positive they are significantly better off overpaying Baker and keeping him and letting Bolton go to a club of choice. Baker more what they'll need as a leader, Bolton more what they'll need in picks

I think the Bolton vs Baker thing really should be revisited. Maybe Bolton really doesn't want to leave, maybe Baker really wants to leave but I'm 100% positive they are significantly better off overpaying Baker and keeping him and letting Bolton go to a club of choice. Baker more what they'll need as a leader, Bolton more what they'll need in picks
100% this

If im Richmond im knocking on Freos door and asking for 3 1st rounders or the like for Bolton

Give Baker 1 mill and keep him on the other end

Makes much more sense for everyone involved.

Ontop of that if im Richmond im trading Rioli and wanting pick 10 + a guy like Ned Moyle who it feels like Gold Coast may be willing to move on

Unlike your Norths of the past, I feel like Richmond have the ability to trade these 2 and still have enough experience around to guide the younger players around them.

100% this

If im Richmond im knocking on Freos door and asking for 3 1st rounders or the like for Bolton

Ontop of that if im Richmond im trading Rioli and wanting pick 10 + a guy like Ned Moyle who it feels like Gold Coast may be willing to move on

Unlike your Norths of the past, I feel like Richmond have the ability to trade these 2 and still have enough experience around to guide the younger players around them.

Yes but baker probably wants to go and bolton probably wants to stay.

Yes but baker probably wants to go and bolton probably wants to stay.
I think Bolton enjoys alot that Melbourne offers, night-life, comradrie with other indigenous players from other clubs.
Perhaps he would rather play for Collingwood or essendon.
Essendon could have the trade currency, even if they win a final and offer 13,31, 2025r2 that is an ok deal for Richmond.
But very likely Freo have better trade currency than that.

100% this

Problem with Bolton is no one is paying that much for him,

First and an early second for sure but he has been far to inconsistent for any club to give up multiple firsts for

First and an early second for sure but he has been far to inconsistent for any club to give up multiple firsts for

Bolton doesn’t yet appear to be adjusting to playing for a bottom 8 team (or bottom 4 with current injuries).

Put him back into a top 8 team entering the premiership window, and does he return to his electric best? I think he does, and a team would certainly pay up.

He’s feasted on so much success at the Tigers. But I question if he has the determination to see out a rebuild?

Suns of the past had players regularly leave to win games, North have it at the moment. It’s a new feeling for the current Tigers list.

This just seems to play into what I mean. Bolton is not the dude to go out giving you 100% during a rebuild. Cash him in before the value plummets and he looks disinterested.

He'd be amazing as the cream at Freo but I think as others have said, he'd probably want to stay in Vic at minimum

We got hundreds of those sorts of comments before 2022, LOL. "He's the missing piece of your puzzle, so you should pay overs to us! What price a flag?!".

I remember a bunch of Adelaide muppets trying to palm off a broken-down Matt Crouch (that Adelaide were actively trying to boot out the door) for a first rounder because "he'd have taken you to a flag last year!"

It's part and parcel of being a contender. Just laugh and embrace it....
Yup, but there’s plenty of examples each way.

Tom Mitchell was the missing piece for Collingwood to win their flag last year.

Lever and May the same with Melbourne.

Bryce Gibbs went to Adelaide a year too late. Who knows what they would have achieved in 2017 with him.

Geelong wouldn’t have won their flag in 22 without Cameron.

Yup, but there’s plenty of examples each way.

Tom Mitchell was the missing piece for Collingwood to win their flag last year.

Lever and May the same with Melbourne.

Bryce Gibbs went to Adelaide a year too late. Who knows what they would have achieved in 2017 with him.

Geelong wouldn’t have won their flag in 22 without Cameron.
Cameron, May and Gibbs were mid/late 20s. Lever was 21. Even "old man Mitchell" was only 29.

Lynch will be 32 at the end of the year and coming off 2 seasons of battling constant injury.

I get someone might want to take a punt, but IMHO he's more value to you keeping him than trading him at what would be significant unders.

I understand DRioli's name getting thrown around but it will never happen. If we were open to letting a mature HB leave, it would be Jayden Short.

Not the same value, but he is elite at his best and a culture king. reckon He would prick Dimma's interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could not agree more with this.
Even if he isn't cooked fully, how much longer do we expect him to play? 2 years max? We will have had 2 season with him being a non factor, I could live with him being traded out and we can get some games into someone else (not Kosi).

Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

Brrrrr. That was ice cold, Snuff.

Very interesting off season for the Tigers this year.
Do Prestia, Martin, Grimes, Graham, McIntosh, Pickett continue on?
Cumberland free to walk?
Speculation re Baker and Rioli?
It’s the rebuild balancing act between retaining leadership and competitiveness and cutting to deep North style …

Very interesting off season for the Tigers this year.
Do Prestia, Martin, Grimes, Graham, McIntosh, Pickett continue on?
Cumberland free to walk?
Speculation re Baker and Rioli?
It’s the rebuild balancing act between retaining leadership and competitiveness and cutting to deep North style …

Prestia and Grimes are cooked physically (hopper probably is too but has to stay due to contract).
Dusty probably retires i reckon.
Graham is bog average and they are better off letting him go somewhere if anyone takes him FA.
Naismith will retire (obviously).
Broad and mcintosh probably stay one more year for experience.
Pickett depends a bit on the court issue (obviously).
If i was them i would cut cumberland.
Kosi is a spud but probably has to stay given their lack of talls.

Be interesting to see if any mid aged players like rioli or short look to trades.

Prestia and Grimes are cooked physically (hopper probably is too but has to stay due to contract).
Dusty probably retires i reckon.
Graham is bog average and they are better off letting him go somewhere if anyone takes him FA.
Naismith will retire (obviously).
Broad and mcintosh probably stay one more year for experience.
Pickett depends a bit on the court issue (obviously).
If i was them i would cut cumberland.
Kosi is a spud but probably has to stay given their lack of talls.

Be interesting to see if any mid aged players like rioli or short look to trades.
Feels like it could be an absolutely massive turnover. I've been spruiking them trading some guys out but man it will need some managing.

I actually find the rebuilding decisions club make far more interesting then when a list is all together. Decisions have massive butterfly impacts for like a decade. Real interested to see what they do

Feels like it could be an absolutely massive turnover. I've been spruiking them trading some guys out but man it will need some managing.

I actually find the rebuilding decisions club make far more interesting then when a list is all together. Decisions have massive butterfly impacts for like a decade. Real interested to see what they do

With Tassie on the horizon, the Tigers will be looking to add as much elite draft talent as possible.
Do they go all in and trade Baker and Rioli on top of all the senior experience that look set to depart?
Fascinating watch …

It won't be an 'absolutely massive turnover'.

Grimes is a given
Naismith too due to injury
Jack Graham will probably leave
Baker likely too
Rioli will stay
Reckon Dusty probably goes around again.
One of McIntosh and Pickett will be shown the door, probably McIntosh.
Prestia will get a 1 year extension.
Colina will get cut cos he just can't get on the park.
Then probably one or two of Cumberland, Green and Coulthard will be delisted.

We've just added 2 blokes in the MSD, and we'll probably add 5 or so more in the ND and RD.

Last edited:
The issue is that core group of 25 to 29 is critical to them going forward. However, those players are what is going to get multiple high end picks. A lot comes down who wants to stay.

100% this

3 first rounders?

Shai Bolton is one of the most over rated players in the comp.. Yes he is an exceptionally good player, a match winner but he does not do it enough to be considered at the level you would ask of for Bontempelli, Clayton Oliver or Harley Reid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back