News Richmond chasing Josh Schache

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All well and good but it's not all that easy to do. Yes, we have failed to nail some important picks but I feel that we are getting better.
You do also have to give some blokes time, not Todd Elton like time granted, but time.
Sydney have had the advantages of the academy and COLA. They HAVE done very well nevertheless but are probably the exception that proves the rule as most teams are in the same boat as us.
It is near impossible to have an entire list made up of top four standard players, unless you are the AFL Giants, salary cap and the dilution of talent ensures this.
Having a Taylor Hunt on our list is the very least of our problems as long as he is used as "break glass in case of emergency", he is an experienced player who can cover for injuries and will do a job.

Xavier Richards would play nine seasons for us ... Swans let him walk after a grand final.
PS Xav >>>>>>>> Elton, Chol, Moore etc.
As I said some player get luck (Elton, Griffiths).

This shows a character to which i'm not keen on spending a lot of money on - IMO - surely this attitude is concerning?

Not playing would reduce his value in my opinion ....

19 years old. How many of us were stupid and immature at that age?

Still can't sell the farm for him either, which sucks for the Lions but as I don't support them I don't care too much expect it would be good for the comp if they stopped being a basket case.

2011 - 23 games
2012 - 22 games
2013 - 10 games
2014 - 20 games
2015 - 22 games

None last year and every game this year so far.

Sure he has had injury issues but played a hell of a lot more then Prestia
Runs only a 1/3 of what Prestia does.

If he comes to Tigerland he will be taught by the best (JR8) just like Jack was taught by Richo

If he goes to Colonwood he will learn off Jarrid Blair
Surely the 500k man will get 1st dibs at teaching?

19 years old. How many of us were stupid and immature at that age?

Still can't sell the farm for him either, which sucks for the Lions but as I don't support them I don't care too much expect it would be good for the comp if they stopped being a basket case.

My initial reaction is always the same. If a talented and handsomely paid (compared to his peers - other players his age) footballer tosses in the towel or throws up the white flag and wants out after two seasons, you MUST question their resilience going forward.
Agree his only young, but you MUST ask is it a guy who is genuinely home sick or unable to acclimatise, or does he simply not want to put the effort in and do the hard yards with a club that seems to be going nowhere?
Let's say we recruit him and two years down the track we fall on hard times and have a few struggling seasons, would Josh Schache be the first bloke to put up his hand and want out??
I've already seen one highly touted and tall first round pick come into our club and leave after failing to put in the required effort for many a season, why do we want another????
Simply put, I would not be paying anything near $800,000 a season - or even $500,000 a season - unless said player put his head down and produced some blistering second half of the season football.
Or do we go down the Yarran path of a disenchanted guy wasting and dividing his time between seconds football and wseeks off.
ALARM bells are ringing on this guy!

Goldust I would usually agree if he has a long history with this sort of thing, but I remember being 19 working in various jobs - some well paying but just not enjoying it and throwing in the towel there and finding other work that made me happier.
Mix that in with he may just not like Brisbane, or some coaches (I've played under plenty I didn't like and plenty I loved) and there is a chance to come and play under someone he loves who happens to be closer to family.

I'm not sure if alarm bells in this instance should be going off, just yet anyway.

John Rombotis board

I actually know John , Good friend of mine

10917113_729357733850540_6644233197141518368_n1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache has taken two weeks off to go home to Victoria.
I don't know what's going on in the kid's personal life and there may be more to it, but I wouldn't be running away after being dropped and getting 4 touches in the twos. I'd be out there this week trying like buggery to get back into the senior team.
But hey, what would I know?

I don't know what's going on in the kid's personal life and there may be more to it, but I wouldn't be running away after being dropped and getting 4 touches in the twos. I'd be out there this week trying like buggery to get back into the senior team.

We dont who knows whats going on. Kid can play longer he's out cheaper he becomes

My initial reaction is always the same. If a talented and handsomely paid (compared to his peers - other players his age) footballer tosses in the towel or throws up the white flag and wants out after two seasons, you MUST question their resilience going forward.
Agree his only young, but you MUST ask is it a guy who is genuinely home sick or unable to acclimatise, or does he simply not want to put the effort in and do the hard yards with a club that seems to be going nowhere?
Let's say we recruit him and two years down the track we fall on hard times and have a few struggling seasons, would Josh Schache be the first bloke to put up his hand and want out??
I've already seen one highly touted and tall first round pick come into our club and leave after failing to put in the required effort for many a season, why do we want another????
Simply put, I would not be paying anything near $800,000 a season - or even $500,000 a season - unless said player put his head down and produced some blistering second half of the season football.
Or do we go down the Yarran path of a disenchanted guy wasting and dividing his time between seconds football and wseeks off.
ALARM bells are ringing on this guy!
Did those same alarm bells ring when Nathan Buckley, Taylor Adams and Adam treloar wanted to return home after an initial contract or just this time

Did those same alarm bells ring when Nathan Buckley, Taylor Adams and Adam treloar wanted to return home after an initial contract or just this time

Buckley no ....... different times and was known to all and sundry his time in Brisbane was always going to be a one-year deal.
Mind you, Buckley already had a year of senior football under his belt at Port Adelaide in the SANFL, a year in which he won the Margaery Medal and a premiership. I think Bucks showed from day one he could handle anything.
Taylor Adams ... yes .... thought his wanting out was poor in both look and handling.
Treloar ... no. Again different. Gave his all from day one and stayed FOUR years and was playing top football from day one til his end date.
I'll add another ... Aish from Collingwood. Again, poor. Was making noise about going about six months in.
Seriously, you aren't comparing the output and effort of Schache to a Treloar or Buckley are you? Both handled themselves nothing but professionally onfield elsewhere. What has Schache done??? Other than be a tall forward with some promise, who is living off the coat-tails of a another bloke's stoy in Boyd, who was vastly overpaid but has now paid for himself.

Last edited:

Exactly!
I know it's only early, but something tells e if the guy can't handle the expectation of being a number two pick in a non-football market, he's not going to handle the expectation of performing for an extra $400,000 a year in a town that lives and breathes football.

Buckley no ....... different times and was known to all and sundry his time in Brisbane was always going to be a one-year deal.
Taylor Adams ... yes .... thought his wanting out was poor in both look and handling.
Treloar ... no. Again different. Gave his all from day one and stayed FOUR years and was playing top football from day one til his end date.
I'll add another ... Aish from Collingwood. Again, poor. Was making noise about going about six months in.
Seriously, you aren't comparing the output and effort of Schache to a Treloar or Buckley are you? Both handled themselves nothing but professionally onfield elsewhere. What has Schache done??? Other than be a tall forward with some promise, who is living off the coat-tails of a another bloke's stoy in Boyd, who was vastly overpaid but has now paid for himself.

Little known fact Treloar and Adams were happy to tell anyone who would listen at GWS they were out as soon as they could. Giants were happy to play them to boost value.
Schace played extremely well im his 1st year as a KPF on a crap side. he has massive upside

Little known fact Treloar and Adams were happy to tell anyone who would listen at GWS they were out as soon as the can. Giants were happy to play them to boost value.
SChace played extremely well im his 1st year as a KPF on a crap side. he has massive upside

Not in the know!
Still Treloar stuck it out for four!
I would not be against Fagan's suggestion of tying first round picks to a club for an initiual four years.

Mind you, Buckley already had a year of senior football under his belt at Port Adelaide in the SANFL, a year in which he won the Margaery Medal and a premiership. I think Bucks showed from day one he could handle anything.
He s a risk schashe but not really for reasons you espouse. Tall prospects all take time I'd take on trust that two years in he s closer to arriving than a 10-12 selection at the ND . Its legitimate that a Youngster can simply not settle , McCarthy is a recent example,of that , I'm happy to take a calculated risk on him for a r1 pick , my only prob is the money , if it's right however we appear to have space in tpp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back