Richmond's 7 Consecutive MCG Games

Is Richmond's 7 consecutive games at the MVG unfair?

• Yes

Votes: 156 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 188 54.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure from 1983 to 2016 the tigers had generous runs at the G. All well and good when were no good hey. And in the last 3 years we have not come from 50+ at half time to beat the hawks, so how good really are we if this great team cannot replicate that dominant era. Pfft.

In 1996 on the back of a huge semi final crowd in 95 we got 17 games at the g.

Still finished 9th.

In 1996 on the back of a huge semi final crowd in 95 we got 17 games at the g.

Still finished 9th.
Can someone, anyone, find an example where a team (any sporting competition) plays 7 games on their home ground in a row before finals to be played on the same home ground (regardless whether the team shares that ground with another team). In fact can you find any competition on the planet where a home team plays 7 weeks in a row on their home ground at any time during the year. And if you can’t (and I’m guessing you cant) ask yourself honestly why that is??????

Looks like we better start playing our home games at Punt Rd again. I think it holds more people than GMHBA stadium so should be fine when we lock everyone out including half of our own members just so that these whinging dipshits don't need to continue with their expensive NaCl replacement programs

Can someone, anyone, find an example where a team (any sporting competition) plays 7 games on their home ground in a row before finals to be played on the same home ground (regardless whether the team shares that ground with another team). In fact can you find any competition on the planet where a home team plays 7 weeks in a row on their home ground at any time during the year. And if you can’t (and I’m guessing you cant) ask yourself honestly why that is??????

The English Cricket Team.

The World Cup (soccer, rugby, various others)

Last edited:
See you keep calling it sooking.

Again, you miss the point. Again, just because it can be done doesn't mean it's fair.

You acknowledge it may not be fair but then say but that's what it is. You see the issue, shrug your shoulders and say "so what? get over it" purely because you'll never be subject to the unfairness of it.

And yes, a GF played in other venues would be a dream come true. Gee imagine Richmond having to play West Coast in a GF in Perth, a place Richmond has won a whopping 4 games in 30 years against the Eagles.....21% win rate vs 56% at the MCG....I'm sure you'd be so dismissive then.

Sure...Just as soon as we can play 3 H&A games there every year in order to get used to the ground before finals in order to make it more neutral.

You'd also have to accept very few WCE fans getting into the ground on the day, and have your government pay for a MASSIVE improvement to the state's infrastructure in order to host it.

Why is this? You seriously don't know?

Um maybe because (like it or not) the AFL is an expanded VFL and we have to live with the consequences of having so many clubs in Melbourne.

Would it have made any difference to you if we played our first 7 games at the G? It's not like Richmond asked for the AFL to be so useless in the way they schedule the draw. We got reamed with the scheduling in the first half of the year, remember.

By the way, we went to the Gabba in the finals, which was only fair because they finished higher than us.

I am all for a fair system where we play all teams twice. But Cricket got in first (150 years ago) and control most of the grounds during summer. Plus the AFLPA won't let their precious players play any more than they have to.

Collingwood shouldn't have had the benefit of it in 2010, nor should Richmond have this year.

Simple reality is that the fixturing was poor this year and in both the above cases it almost certainly helped the respective clubs to a flag.

Acknowledging that it helped and probably shouldn't have happened (and hopefully won't again) shouldn't be difficult.

Why is this? You seriously don't know?

Um maybe because (like it or not) the AFL is an expanded VFL and we have to live with the consequences of having so many clubs in Melbourne.

Even if they'd built it from scratch, the same sort of thing would happen.

Much as the non-vics like to ignore it, Vic/Melbourne is roughly 50% of the AFL market, so would always get a lot more teams, and thus a lot more neutral games in their home city.

The sole reason is in this 18 team competition, there are 9 teams located in the same city, with only 2 stadiums to cater for those 9. The 10th team in the state, Geelong also play a few home games at these stadiums. No other professional sports league in the world is geographically set up like this, so it's impossible to compare AFL to anything else, so don't bother looking. Of those 7 at the G, it is quite conceivable that the AFL could well have fixtured us to play either GWS or Port away, because they were return games. Do you honestly think playing one of these interstate was going to halt our march to a dominant premiership win?

These are professional sports people who manage travel as part of a rputine. Jumping on a plane for a few hours the day before and day after playing is hardly debilitating. In addition, I am tipping that all expansion clubs from 1987 onwards knew that travel would be part & parcel of joining the major league.

Last edited:
The sole reason is in this 18 team competition, there are 9 teams located in the same city, with only 2 stadiums to cater for those 9. The 10th team in the state, Geelong also play a few home games at these stadiums. No other professional sports league in the world is geographically set up like this, so it's impossible to compare AFL to anything else, so don't bother looking. Of those 7 at the G, it is quite conceivable that the AFL could well have fixtured us to play either GWS or Port away, because they were return games. Do you honestly think playing one of these interstate was going to halt our march to a dominant premiership win?

These are professional sports people who manage travel as part of a rputine. Jumping on a plane for a few hours the day before and day after playing is hardly debilitating. In addition, I am tipping that all expansion clubs from 1987 onwards knew that travel would be part & parcel of joining the major league.
This is a really easy fix though. Cull 4 Vic teams and integrate them into other States.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we were a laughing stock for 30+ years, nobody was worried about how many games we played at the MCG.

Obviously MCG co-tenants are going to play more games at their “home” ground & in their “home” state ... where should we play against Collingwood, Hawthorn & Melbourne? Perth or Adelaide 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Vic team most likely to win the premiership this season was Richmond..Predictably the AFL gives them a soft draw and the last 7 at home. Cant have some 'interstate' team winning again
The AFL don't even try to hide their obvious bias these days

Thanks, this melt brought a smile to my face.
More of the same please sir!

The Vic team most likely to win the premiership this season was Richmond..Predictably the AFL gives them a soft draw and the last 7 at home. Cant have some 'interstate' team winning again

The scary thing is I think you actually believe that to be true.

Have a look at your own teams short comings instead of blaming their ineptitude on AFL bias.

But please keep the salt flowing our way, it's simply delicious!

The scary thing is I think you actually believe that to be true.

Have a look at your own teams short comings instead of blaming their ineptitude on AFL bias.

But please keep the salt flowing our way, it's simply delicious!

I didn't mention WC, we were not good enough
I was just highlighting your soft draw and already ingrained Vic advantage

learn to read

Learn to not be such a whiny sook. Absolutely pathetic you West coast fairys.

I didn't mention WC, we were not good enough
I was just highlighting your soft draw and already ingrained Vic advantage

learn to read
Vic advantage?
Richmond doesn't even get to play all its home games on its home ground unlike privileged clubs like the Eagles.
Richmond's home ground is the most neutral in the AFL. The Eagles' is amongst the least neutral
When the Eagles lose a player to free agency, they get a full band higher compensation than Richmond for the equivalent contract.
That's not even to mention the multiple rule changes this year to "Bring Richmond back to the field"
I'm not sure how many more unsporting advantages the AFL can give your club. Maybe Gill needs to kick your first 10 goals for you before the game starts. Even then you'd probably still be winging endlessly about how unfairly you're treated.
It must be a cultural thing to expect and demand that others win your success for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back