Summer RIO 2016 - Rugby (Sevens) 6th to 11th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice 80m try from Caslick, once again started from a nice sidestep.

Was a junior 800m champion and played Aussie Rules before the ARU talent hunted her. Wonder if the AFL will make a play for her and if the lure of gold medal and international game keeps her with Rugby.
Why would you play in the AFL women's? When you could play rugby 7s, get paid to travel to the best cities in the world and get to go to the Olympics. She killed it for us we would have lost the game against the US if it wasn't for her efforts in defence.

I really enjoyed watching the women's 7s watched every game we played and was delighted to see us final beat New Zealand in a final. Let's hope the men can back it up

Yep its like having 9 blokes playing AFL 9s on the MCG. Image having to cover that space and tackle and run and chase the ball on that field with half your normal team mates.

The fitness to cover the space of a normal field, then smash in tackles and then get up and sprint is way above what 15s players need. I started watching Hong Kong 7's in the mid 1980's and you saw the game evolve that you couldnt play the fat little blokes any more and it become specialized in the 1990's where you needed blokes with explosive speed as well as strength to tackle time and again.
Played Rugby a while back when I was a junior and we would always start the season with a 7s comp, in a lot of ways it's harder. You take bigger hits in 15 a side and more of them but the amount of running you have to do is insane also the importance of making one on one tackles in 15s a team mate can normally cover for you if you miss the tackle but in 7s if you miss a tackle more often then not you concede a try. 7s is great to watch and I am so happy our girls could bring home gold

Who knows, Caslick could play both! The ARU have said that a national women's 7's series is on the cards but I don't imagine there'll be much money in it for all but the players who make the Aussie squad. And yeah the women's world series is set to expand. The ARU want to hold a leg in Sydney alongside the men's event next year for example.
My mistake on Caslick about having an Aussie Rules background. I thought the article I read about her said Australian Football when in fact it said Australian Touch Football. My bad.

But I still reckon Brisbane as she is a Brisbane girl or one of the other teams should approach her.

Last edited:
Why would you play in the AFL women's? When you could play rugby 7s, get paid to travel to the best cities in the world and get to go to the Olympics. She killed it for us we would have lost the game against the US if it wasn't for her efforts in defence.

I really enjoyed watching the women's 7s watched every game we played and was delighted to see us final beat New Zealand in a final. Let's hope the men can back it up
Read my earlier posts about the ARU and IRFB/IRB/World rugby having to set up proper leagues and to get the career path right. The lure of the first Olympics made it easy to throw money at the girls and steal them from other sports. They only have 5 Rugby Sevens tournaments for the girls around the world and 10 for the men. The ARU doesnt have a great track record of developing the game outside its heartland - private schools in NSW/ACT and Qld. It got a whole lot of cash from the 2003 World cup in Oz when the Kiwis were cut out of joint hosting but once John O'Neill was headhunted by Frank Lowy, they squandered that future fund.

I agree that if they are paid well there is no real reason to swap codes. But if they dont then the ARU are vulnerable to lose them. if the AFL gets serious about what its prepared to pay, it can offer a s**t load more $$ and carrer path.

But let me say that the strategic thinking and planning by the ARU backed up by the AOC and especially funding from the Australian Sports Commission has been brilliant. But they have to work hard to go to a permanent full time sport.

Read my earlier posts about the ARU and IRFB/IRB/World rugby having to set up proper leagues and to get the career path right. The lure of the first Olympics made it easy to throw money at the girls and steal them from other sports. They only have 5 Rugby Sevens tournaments for the girls around the world and 10 for the men. The ARU doesnt have a great track record of developing the game outside its heartland - private schools in NSW/ACT and Qld. It got a whole lot of cash from the 2003 World cup in Oz when the Kiwis were cut out of joint hosting but once John O'Neill was headhunted by Frank Lowy, they squandered that future fund.

I agree that if they are paid well there is no real reason to swap codes. But if they dont then the ARU are vulnerable to lose them. if the AFL gets serious about what its prepared to pay, it can offer a s**t load more $$ and carrer path.

But let me say that the strategic thinking and planning by the ARU backed up by the AOC and especially funding from the Australian Sports Commission has been brilliant. But they have to work hard to go to a permanent full time sport.
7s is an Olympic sport it will receive government funding, yeah there may only be 5 comps per year at the minute but it's the fastest growing women's sport in the world so in the coming years you will see a lot more. I just don't see why you would go play in the women's AFL were the most you will get is 25k for a 2 month season when you could be on the 7s circuit.

7s is an Olympic sport it will receive government funding, yeah there may only be 5 comps per year at the minute but it's the fastest growing women's sport in the world so in the coming years you will see a lot more. I just don't see why you would go play in the women's AFL were the most you will get is 25k for a 2 month season when you could be on the 7s circuit.
Sevens looks like an easier game to learn as well in comparison to Aussie rules

Sevens looks like an easier game to learn as well in comparison to Aussie rules

Both easy to learn but will ultimately be hard to master.

As with most football codes, at the highest level it can get quite technical with lots of set plays, different defensive and offensive strategies etc. Not to mention the rules around rucks and mauls.

In both womens 7's and womens AFL expect rapid development in tactics and strategy in the next few years as both sports mature.

Why not both? Neither sport is really paying enough ( for the output) to justify concentrating on one only. If seasons overlap then make the choice but she , and others , should at least explore the skill sets

Why not both? Neither sport is really paying enough ( for the output) to justify concentrating on one only. If seasons overlap then make the choice but she , and others , should at least explore the skill sets
At the moment the 7s players get between 35-55k a year and the RUPA are in discussions about a new pay deal that will see them on almost as much as the men (there average wage is around 90k). So why would you bother playing in the women's AFL. If anything the girls winning gold at the Olympics is going to hurt the growth of women's football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if its $25k for 2 months and $100k per year to develop the game as a development officer/marquee player developing the game and league over the next 5 years so its a 5 or 6 month season not 2, and those $$$ go up each year substantially, then it could be tempting if the $$$ in Rugby dont increase and the player doesnt want to travel the world. Look I'm basically agreeing with you, this is the way the IRB/World Rugby can take the game globally not just women but also men, but the ARU/World Rugby has to get its s**t together and provide a decent career path. Hockey girls wont leave the sport because the funding provided by the ASC wont be matched by another sport that is easy for the girls to convert to. If the Hockey girls could convert their skills to something else and get paid 3,4 or 5 times the $$ they get from Hockey then they would think about it.

But if its $25k for 2 months and $100k per year to develop the game as a development officer/marquee player developing the game and league over the next 5 years so its a 5 or 6 month season not 2, and those $$$ go up each year substantially, then it could be tempting if the $$$ in Rugby dont increase and the player doesnt want to travel the world. Look I'm basically agreeing with you, this is the way the IRB/World Rugby can take the game globally not just women but also men, but the ARU/World Rugby has to get its s**t together and provide a decent career path. Hockey girls wont leave the sport because the funding provided by the ASC wont be matched by another sport that is easy for the girls to convert to. If the Hockey girls could convert their skills to something else and get paid 3,4 or 5 times the $$ they get from Hockey then they would think about it.
All of the players speak highly of the pathways in Queensland who coincidentally turned out 75% of the team.
Also only one player per team would get paid marketing money in the AFL and 25k is the max for a player for a season. The women playing 7s are Olympic athlete they are going to get money through endorsements on top of what they earn

Last edited:
Great sport to watch and a well deserved gold for the Aussies girls. Dominated the start of the second half and to be fair most of the matches they played in.

HOWEVER, there is no way in hell this should be an Olympic sport - at least for the Women - there was zero depth in the tournament and half the teams were complete and utter garbage. There were less than 5 competitive matches all tournament I'd think.

Same can be said about Hockey, Water Polo and many other team sports when they are first introduced. Rugby 7's is one of the fastest growing sports in the world, especially for woman, so you'd expect it to get stronger over the next few Olympics. Also there are a least half dozens "sports" that should be cut from the Olympics before Rugby 7's. Golf and Tennis are two obvious ones.

Anywho, congrats to the Pearls, it was great to see them take home the gold and the fact that I could give my Kiwi boss a bit of schtick was a fantastic bonus.

Probably fair points but this game just seems super gimmicky to me. You can tell some countries just cobbled together women's teams that didn't have a clue. That's not the case for any other sports you mentioned.
It is for now. But it will grow. Quick , short and intensive. Made for tv? Sure is and that will help its growth a lot.

The US college system gets a hold of this and kaboom

Really looking forward to the men's tournament, will be far more competitive than the women's. Any team could win a medal apart from Brazil, Japan and Spain. I'm predicting South Africa to beat Fiji in the final with New Zealand and Great Britain battling it out for Bronze.

Really looking forward to the men's tournament, will be far more competitive than the women's. Any team could win a medal apart from Brazil, Japan and Spain. I'm predicting South Africa to beat Fiji in the final with New Zealand and Great Britain battling it out for Bronze.
South Africa winning the gold is worst case scenario for me.
Anyone but them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back