RIP Alan Davidson

Remove this Banner Ad

All the old timers I knew waxxed lyrical about Alan Davidson. They used to all talk about his 'late swing'. They couldn't really separate him and Akram, comparison wise. Says something! RIP.

Gee, this is a really sad time for old cricketers.
Alan Davidson, the first Australian player to take a total of 10 wickets and accumulate 100 runs in a match. Added to this, it was in the tied Test. If it hadn't been for Joe Solomon's side on runout of Davidson for 80 Australia would have probably won the match. He could make the ball talk, what a wonderful bowler. RIP Alan Davidson and thanks for the wonderful memories given to a young boy glued to the cricket on an old black and white TV, you were inspiring. I wanted to be you.

Last edited:
Nervous 90s.

Highlights are very surreal.

And note kids, the commentator not screaming "UNBELIVEABLE!" or "BOY OH BOY WOWEE!" every few minutes, not to mention the crowd's polite applause equally for runs scored as they did for wickets taken..! Mmmm, very different times indeed...

RIP Alan, 92 is a good innings anywhere.

Last edited:
And note kids, the commentator not screaming; "UNBELIVEABLE!" or "BOY OH BOY WOWEE" every few minutes, not to mention the crowd's polite applause equally for runs scored as they did for wickets taken..! Mmmm, very different times indeed...

RIP Alan, 92 is a good innings anywhere.

I always wonder how good a bowler or a batsmen would be if an elite one from today could be transported back in time.

I enjoy watching black and white highlights from an era that most cannot understand or fathom. Interestingly as a side note I noted the batsmen running off the pitch and not on it.

I always wonder how good a bowler or a batsmen would be if an elite one from today could be transported back in time.

I enjoy watching black and white highlights from an era that most cannot understand or fathom. Interestingly as a side note I noted the batsmen running off the pitch and not on it.

Current player transported back in time - has been and will be continued to be discussed in pubs and at BBQ's forever.
Being fairly well read on the history of the game - Frank 'Typhoon' Tyson used to terrify most batsmen during the same era, 90mph was unfathomable pace back in those days...

Last edited:
Had a lovely, smooth, easy on the eye bowling action. Reckon he was one of those bowlers that are much quicker than they look, from seeing highlights keeper is always a fair way back and batsmen often looks rushed when playing against him. With his all around abilities, sounds like he would have been a sensational player in the shorter formats as well, if he had of had the chance to play in them. A great innings, RIP.

Obviously a wonderful cricketer and main ingredient in NSW's amazing run of 9 Sheffield Shields in a row from 1953-54 to 1961-62. This is not meant to be criticism of a great bowler, just a slightly different slant on Davo the man. According to Richie Benaud, Davo tended to somewhat of a hypochondriac and Benaud had to talk him into taking the field when he thought he was ill or injured. Another funnier story involved a mate of mine many years ago. He idolised Davo, bought his book and ran onto the field at the completion of a day's play to get an autograph. Apparently Davo told him to f#*k off :)

Amazing stats.

A true legend!

A few people who saw him play said he would of dominated the T20 version.

Gee, this is a really sad time for old cricketers.
Alan Davidson, the first Australian player to take a total of 10 wickets and accumulate 100 runs in a match. Added to this, it was in the tied Test. If it hadn't been for Joe Solomon's side on runout of Davidson for 80 Australia would have probably won the match. He could make the ball talk, what a wonderful bowler. RIP Alan Davidson and thanks for the wonderful memories given to a young boy glued to the cricket on an old black and white TV, you were inspiring. I wanted to be you.

In addition, in a second class game against Wairarapa on an Australian tour of New Zealand in 1949-50, Davidson took all ten wickets for 29 in Wairarapa's first innings and then whacked 157 not out when batting.

RIP to one of Australia's greats. It's just a phenomenal test record and you could stand him next to all bar a handful of cricketers to have ever walked this planet and he would be at least their equal.

Was chatting earlier in the year on another thread about Alan Davidson and saying what a nice smooth action he had. Very easy on the eye.

It's a little bit tricky because there isn't loads of footage of Davo bowling, but if you had a youngster - say early teens - who was just struggling a bit with the mechanics of quick bowling or if they are completely new to the sport, Davidson would probably be my go to international cricketer to demonstrate what they should be trying to replicate. He had very simple and very coachable mechanics.

Just taking a select few quick bowling greats somewhat randomly - Dennis Lillee, Wasim Akram, Dale Steyn... Obviously fantastic bowlers but those are not actions which are easy to replicate or use a base model for your own action unless you've got a high level of natural talent and coordination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back